ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-28-2020   #11
secondchance

Default Re: Aaaarghhh...sacrifice to The Valley!

May be it?s time to get one of these.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnetic-...saAtv7EALw_wcB
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020   #12
Tripler

Good idea lol . Maybe Santa will bring you a set [emoji848][emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020   #13
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I put just a tiny bit of electrical tape on the 1/4? extension before sliding the socket on the end. That really snugs the socket onto the either the socket driver or 1/4? drive socket wrench.
Yes! Me too!

Also, I put that connector back on BEFORE I bolt the plenum back down. That little bit of extra room allows me to gently maneuver and position that connector in place: actually feel the pins sliding into place before the connector bottoms out. Then the set screw/bolt only secures the connector from coming off: that way it never is used to wrench the connector over the pins (is when pins get folded/bent).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020   #14
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Worth repeating...

....especially for those first timers pulling the plenum:

Two of the best suggestions I learned from this board, regarding plenum pulls: 1) is prepping the (new) plenum gasket before installing it, and
2) installing a plug in the coolant port of the driver's side injector housing, blocking off coolant to the throttle body.

Prepping the gasket amounts to using some 3M adhesive on/around the injector housing coolant port only (a thin layer) to keep the gasket from squirming away from the coolant port. (Less of a problem since Jerry's Gaskets started providing those gaskets!) And, second, I found that spraying the plenum side (only) of the gasket with a silicone spray (ACE Hardware or the like) facilitates future removal of the plenum.

Once the bolts are removed, I can slide a putty knife along the entire edge of both sides of the plenum and the gasket remains attached to the injector housing and intact. (I've been able to reuse a gasket for a couple of additional plenum pulls. However, I keep new gaskets handy "just in case".)

Plugging the coolant port in the injector housing that feeds coolant to the throttle body saves most of an hour when it comes to pulling the plenum. Unless you're in the habit of driving your Z in freezing or sub-freezing weather, you will never miss it. And, doing so - not having to fuss with coolant, and with the help of a pneumatic ratchet to remove the bolts - a plenum pull and re-installation is a breeze!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020   #15
Hos327

After reading this thread last week I purchased an endoscope on Amazon. Turns out best 40 bucks I?ve spent in a long time. Haven?t done anything too stupid yet on my first plenum project until today. Was feeding the plenum vacuum tube through the injectors before pacing the plenum and the line fitting slipped off and fell into the primary intake of #4! Hindsight could?ve pulled everything back apart and removed the injector housing, but spent almost an hour with the hook on the end of the scope fishing it out of the valve. Thank god the valve was closed when it dropped!
Hos327 is offline   Reply With Quote