ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-11-2017   #31
RussMcB

Default Re: Make into Track Car, or sell along? advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
the "normal" 17x11 (56et) will fit up front?
I think the answer to this question is 'no'.

I tried running 11" sawbades and 315 tires in front and they stuck out too far and rubbed against the fenders.

My solution was to use two 11" A-molds I had that were not the deep stock offset.

If you don't already own track wheels and tires, please check this post to see if you are interested in some spares I have and don't need:
http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26298
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017   #32
henryr

russ -

so you are running the 11" GS wheels up front ?

if not, i wonder if they would work with a more narrow tire
henryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017   #33
Mr Blue

A local guy is running GS A-Molds front and rear on his LT4 Collectors Edition.
He runs 315's rear and 285's front. So yes it can be done.
Mr Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017   #34
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
I think the answer to this question is 'no'.

I tried running 11" sawbades and 315 tires in front and they stuck out too far and rubbed against the fenders.

My solution was to use two 11" A-molds I had that were not the deep stock offset.

If you don't already own track wheels and tires, please check this post to see if you are interested in some spares I have and don't need:
http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26298

I might be interested in these, i'll keep you posted, want to get it to the shop first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue View Post
A local guy is running GS A-Molds front and rear on his LT4 Collectors Edition.
He runs 315's rear and 285's front. So yes it can be done.

I assume "sawblades" refer to the stock wheels, right?

what are A-molds? (sorry for being dumb)
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017   #35
emmvette

I'm going to offer a little different opinion -
I would suggest sticking to the stock front tires until you feel you can overdrive the car's capabilities. I don't expect that will happen for most people in a summer or two or at least a couple sets of tires for the track. This will allow you to just use the rims you have for now, and also help save some $ and maintenance replacing the front wheel bearings. The larger front wheels with their extra grip put too much load on the wheel bearings and won't last. There is no good upgrade available. I'm not even sure there are good options for the stock bearings, you can spend a lot of time searching this issue on the forum and elsewhere.

With the suspension, again, I would stick with semi-stock for now and you want to make sure the Bilstein shocks are in good condition (if they haven't been previously rebuilt they are most likely due). Send them out to Delta
Vee and they can rebuild them to stock specs, or upgrade the setting to something more suitable to your track use. Call them to discuss. You will need to do this in the fall to have them back in by the spring, so don't put this off.
Make sure the rest of the FX3 suspension works as it should including the actuators. The FX3 is a good suspension and works well with the ZR-1.

I second the Dewitts radiator suggestion. It's good for track use to help keep the temps down.

Last edited by emmvette; 09-11-2017 at 06:08 PM.
emmvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017   #36
lbszr

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
the "normal" 17x11 (56et) will fir up front ?

u have a pick of what that looks like ?

I would not describe 54mm as normal for the zr1. I meant to say 54 before when I said 56. The 36mm is normal and will stick out quite a bit in the front. So any oem 17X11 zr1 wheels will rub probably at the fender lip and I would not try it. The 54mm don't and fit. They will rub the sway bar in the front and the back inside on the inner fender down by the frame. I would not use them on the street. They are good for the track because I don't turn it that far. Except when I was correcting for a 360, or at least I thought I was. The 1/2 spacer is required to run the 54 in the rear.

Here is a picture of the 17x11. Not sure if it is going to work. It has about 2.7 negative camber and helps to bring the top of the wheel inwards.

Last edited by lbszr; 09-11-2017 at 07:41 PM.
lbszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017   #37
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
I'm going to offer a little different opinion -
I would suggest sticking to the stock front tires until you feel you can overdrive the car's capabilities. I don't expect that will happen for most people in a summer or two or at least a couple sets of tires for the track. This will allow you to just use the rims you have for now, and also help save some $ and maintenance replacing the front wheel bearings. The larger front wheels with their extra grip put too much load on the wheel bearings and won't last. There is no good upgrade available. I'm not even sure there are good options for the stock bearings, you can spend a lot of time searching this issue on the forum and elsewhere.

With the suspension, again, I would stick with semi-stock for now and you want to make sure the Bilstein shocks are in good condition (if they haven't been previously rebuilt they are most likely due). Send them out to Delta
Vee and they can rebuild them to stock specs, or upgrade the setting to something more suitable to your track use. Call them to discuss. You will need to do this in the fall to have them back in by the spring, so don't put this off.
Make sure the rest of the FX3 suspension works as it should including the actuators. The FX3 is a good suspension and works well with the ZR-1.

I second the Dewitts radiator suggestion. It's good for track use to help keep the temps down.
thanks for the advice, Sounds reasonable. I think I should follow your advice, and just get a decent set of tires for the stock rims and get a feel for it before making changes.

as far as rebuilding the shocks, I almost certainly don't have the patience for that.
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote