ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-18-2017   #1
cbaclawski

Default Make into Track Car, or sell along? advice?

Hello,
Background:
I'm the proud owner of a 1990 zr1 with the lingenfelter 368 package (work done in 1996 @ 45k, not original) that I purchased about 18 months ago. I like the car, and I've spent quite a bit of time and money getting everything "right" (brakes, clutch, coils, plugs, thermostat, sensors, etc. etc. etc.)

As of now its what I'd call "street driver" quality with about 83k total. It has a rebuilt title due to an incident with a trailer prior to my purchase, and I feel like it's probably worth ~15k on a good day(It really does run strong and everything works perfectly at this point). I'm not willing to sell it myself, so going through a consignment lot I'm probably looking at getting 12k for it after all commissions.(I have way more than that in it for whatever that's worth)

Input wanted:

I find myself lacking space to store it, and I don't really drive it much. I've also recently become obsessed with Track day driving. I currently have 2 cars I run on the track, but both are relatively low HP "momentum cars", and I am a very average (at best) track driver.

If this car is destined to be a garage queen, I think the space is better used elsewhere, BUT if I spend some more coin and do some road track upgrades (roll cage, harnesses, new radiator, etc.) It seems like it might be a really fun/cool track car.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Sell it for whatever I can get, or is it worth it to convert to a track car and sell one of the other 2 similar track cars?

I like the history/story of the ZR1, and the "vintageness" of tracking it is part of the appeal. The obvious advice of sell it and buy a c5 z06 that's faster/cheaper/more common for the track really isn't something I'd be interested in. If I'm going to track a corvette, it'll be this one.

Honestly seeking input, I need the parking space, and I'm about 50/50 on which way I want to go... How much do you think it might cost to get the car semi "race ready". Wouldn't want to go full on race car and spoil the character of the car, but safe and reliable with decent track performance...

Thanks for reading! (I know it all boils down to what I want, just wondering what you guys might think)

Curt
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017   #2
Ronstar

Default Re: Make into Track Car, or sell along? advice?

I would track the Zr-1!
I don't think a C5 zo6 is faster than your 368,and the roar of that LT-5 at WOT is addicting.
Throw some sticky tires on it and I think you will be impressed with it on the track!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017   #3
Demps

I track a '91 & love it! I do it for love of the motor. I've learned a lot over my years but here's what's applicable here: someone will always have a faster car. Or 'faster horses, older whiskey, younger women, & more money'.

You get a few folks coming to the pits to see if it's a real ZR-1.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017   #4
RussMcB

Not sure if this affects your decision, but installing a cage isn't required. You could track it as is (with good pads, tires, etc.), without affecting the interior (to install the cage).

A nice race seat would be a big improvement. And you're right - a new, bigger radiator is probably needed.

A Lingenfelter 368 package sounds pretty special. You might be undervaluing your car.

What are your two current track cars? I sold my Spec Miata race car to buy my ZR-1. You will find the ZR-1 doesn't stop or corner near as well as a newer, smaller car, but it's nice to have more power coming out of corners (even more so in your case).
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017   #5
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I would track the Zr-1!
I don't think a C5 zo6 is faster than your 368,and the roar of that LT-5 at WOT is addicting.
Throw some sticky tires on it and I think you will be impressed with it on the track!
Thanks, I really don't get the same excitement seeing the c5 either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
I track a '91 & love it! I do it for love of the motor. I've learned a lot over my years but here's what's applicable here: someone will always have a faster car. Or 'faster horses, older whiskey, younger women, & more money'.

You get a few folks coming to the pits to see if it's a real ZR-1.

Ted
Truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Not sure if this affects your decision, but installing a cage isn't required. You could track it as is (with good pads, tires, etc.), without affecting the interior (to install the cage).

A nice race seat would be a big improvement. And you're right - a new, bigger radiator is probably needed.

A Lingenfelter 368 package sounds pretty special. You might be undervaluing your car.

What are your two current track cars? I sold my Spec Miata race car to buy my ZR-1. You will find the ZR-1 doesn't stop or corner near as well as a newer, smaller car, but it's nice to have more power coming out of corners (even more so in your case).
The 2 track cars are a highly modified e46 BMW(non-m), and a pretty much stock rx-8, I doubt either of them stop or corner as well as your spec miata did either, lol

As far as undervaluing the car, you may be right, but between the rebuilt title and my unwillingness to handle the transaction myself, I'm trying to be realistic.

I know I don't NEED a cage, and it already has upgraded brakes, but at the very least I'd want a good race seat and 6 pt harness. At least a track bar to attach the harnesses would be needed, and at that point I'd probably just go ahead and cage it. Someday I might want to enter a time trial event or something. I do want to maintain as much of the original character as possible though, not looking to make a full on race car.

Thank to all, I'm starting to lean pretty heavily in the "Track it!!" direction...

Curt
Old 08-19-2017   #6
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaclawski View Post
Thank to all, I'm starting to lean pretty heavily in the "Track it!!" direction...

Curt
Not sure how far away you are, but we're going to Road Atlanta 9/22 and Atlanta Motorsports Park 10/22, with a fun, laid back club:

http://www.jzillatrackdays.com/
Old 08-19-2017   #7
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Not sure how far away you are, but we're going to Road Atlanta 9/22 and Atlanta Motorsports Park 10/22, with a fun, laid back club:

http://www.jzillatrackdays.com/
I'm in charlotte, so not too far at all. I've been wanting to do a road Atlanta day for a while...
Old 08-19-2017   #8
RussMcB

Unfortunate timing. That track club was at Charlotte a couple of weeks ago. :-)
Old 08-20-2017   #9
USAF Retired
BANNED

I say track the Z.
USAF Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #10
emmvette

Track the ZR-1. Leave the original seat, its really good and add a bar or partial cage so you can install good 6 pt harness. My car works well on the track and has a larger radiator, upgraded brakes, original seat with reinforced harness / roll bar and 5 pt belts, oh - and a little extra power :-)