Old 08-18-2005   #11
FU

GM part number ??

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #12
We Gone

Only thing I could ever find was a GM part # for the speaker unit. You will need to look for the amp by the part # on it and it only works for the rears.

part # 182670-0199 on the amp.
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #13
Tom

The change from 50 watts to 100 watts may seem like a large change but the speaker powered with 100 watts will only play 3dB louder than the speaker powered with 50 watts. The increased bass noted above probably comes from the equalization curve built into the 99 amp. The curve in the 99 amp probably has the bass boosted relative to the original ZR1 amp since Bose/GM have supposedly tailored the amps and speakers to get their desired frequency response in the particular model of car they are installed in.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #14
Z Factor

Ok, I just finished speaking with Bose again, and they are ready to send a hit squad after me at this point.

For obvious reasons they say not to put the 1999 Corvette 100watt amps into our ZR-1's since the sound quality will not be perfectly matched. They implied that it could also damage the speaker due to various theories regarding ohms/impedance/wattage incompatibility. However, after explaining that we had at least one member who has run 100watt amps in the rears for 3+years, they conceded that it "might not damage" the speaker. Still they feel that any bass gains from the extra wattage will be offset since the fronts are not matched. They sounded slightly annoyed that some of us feel the system could use improvement since according to them, our system is perfectly balanced for the interior and acoustics of our cars. Of course when I asked if it would be better to put 100watt amps all the way around (assuming you could get the amp to fit in the front), they had no comment.

Anyway, I am left with the dilemma of either shipping off all 4 speakers and amps to them, or trying to find a handful of the 100 watt amps at a good price. If anyone comes across a source, let us know.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #15
We Gone

I guess the Bose Police will be knocking on my door soon They better have some big amps
Old 08-22-2005   #16
Tom

I shipped all 4 of my original amps to Bose after they failed. They didn't bother fixing mine they just sent me 4 brand new ones. This was several years ago and the new amps are still working and have so far been far more reliable and had none of the problems of the old ones. The new amps had some minor differences but they mounted and plugged in just like the originals.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #17
tomtom72

Default Re: 100 watt rear amps

Another vote for letting Bose do the work. I'm late on this but I would like to echo what Tom has said about having the work done at Bose. They were a bit long I guess in the turn-around. Mine were gone for 4 weeks but three out of four were bad so I had no audio anyway.

The speakers came back and the only parts that were re-used were the chassis that their amps & speakers mount to. I know because I marked each chassis' location...I know, rookies, ugh!...and the magnets on the speakers also. The chassis markings were there but the speakers were new...just like Bose said they'd be! It sounds good, not great but at least it works & Bose said the amp failure probably would not happen again. They did exactly what they said they would do...replace speakers and amps and I had one grill that was broken on the left front speaker and they replaced it too!!

I'm happy with their work & thought the fee they charged was fair. to Bose repair guys.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #18
Locobob

I have 100 watt amps in the rear and 75 watt amps in the front. Been running this for about 3 years with no problems. If I remember correctly the 100's are the same as the ones pictured here. Not sure about the 75's. All of them plugged in with no modifications. I bought them from a place that advertised in the Corvette Trader, don't recall the name though. Anyhow, it sounds great to me, I'm pretty happy with my set-up.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #19
FU

The part part # 182670-0199 on the amp is NG from GM parts direct.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #20
We Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2
The part part # 182670-0199 on the amp is NG from GM parts direct.
It may be a Bose # not sure its the only # on the amp.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold