ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 04-23-2016   #1
92whiteZ

Exclamation GM part search

this is a resourceful group and better sleuths than i:

I have a baer big brake kit on my 92 c1500 pickup. the kit is made up of a modified stock spindle and a hub/wheel bearings separate from the rotor. in a stock part the rotor/hub/wheel bearings are all one unit.

baer discontinued the kit long ago. I need a new hub assembly. called them a few times to see what the hub part number or unit came from. no one could help; some said they didn't know and it was so long ago they don't have a part number, others just said it was no longer available.

the part looks like a stock piece for some car. only numbers I can find on it are "6040016" . that isn't a baer part number.

it's a 5x5 bolt patten, none of the caprice/full size Chevrolet cars appear to use a separate hub/rotor configuration.

anyone have suggestions as to how I can find out what this is from?

thx
92whiteZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #2
Hog

Default Re: GM part search

I washed that number through a couple of my usual parts finders without result.

All the fullsize 5x5 pattern vehicles use the same bearing/rotor setup just as the GMT400 truck we are referring to.

Do you happen to know the Baer kit part number for the big brake kit for the 2wd GMT 400 trucks?

Picture? I'm pretty resourceful when it comes to the GMT400 trucks. What you are running into with this is what scares me about aftermarket parts/kits.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #3
Hog

Do your hubs look like these ones? This is a square body Chev truck kit.

Old 04-28-2016   #4
92whiteZ

thx for chipping in Hog. I will snap a pic. they don't look like the hubs above. I have 1 kit on my truck now, just bartered for another kit from someone. exact same kit what leads me to believe it comes from a car application: the set on my truck now has a tone ring on the inside of the hub like an abs set up. the kit I just got doesn't have the tone ring. will get a pic this weekend.
Old 04-29-2016   #5
WVZR-1

Tough thread to find today. Had I not known "HOG" had posted to it I likely wouldn't have been able find. I looked. Maybe the original "TOPIC" wasn't appropriate but "OFF-TOPIC"? C'mon - it's a car part. It resided there for nearly a week(6 days), I spotted it I believe yesterday AM.

With and without a tone-ring kinda sorta seems maybe FOMOCO for originality but here's a very generic illustrated buyers guide that you can browse to find maybe something "similar" in construction. Does you hub use a single bearing (meaning spindle would be heavily modified) OR does it use OE/GM inner/outer bearings to spin on? If a single bearing maybe identifying just the bearing first. Do you have one apart? Sounds like maybe you've no need now if the "bartered" set-up is in hand.

The 5 on 5 2WD GM configuration was done maybe specifically using a casting of a similar hub that gave them (Baer) the offsets that they needed for rotors/calipers already used.

This buyers guide is BCA/Timken numbered and there's references to OE/manufacturer also.

http://www.0086parts.com/auto/product/wheelhub.pdf

I thought maybe you had revisited, deleted your thread and posts after it went away also. That would have been ODD I thought. Maybe a "MOVED NOTE" to have redirected the thread might have been a reasonable effort.

"HOG" - You mentioned GMT400 specifically. Did you maybe have an affiliation of sorts with GM assembly there? The 53 model ECSB/ECLB (extended-cab) I believe was initially only assembled there. I did a plant tour in maybe '90.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-29-2016 at 11:25 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #6
92whiteZ

Thx gentlemen for your thoughts and guidance.
Here are some pics.

This sets up just like the factory hub with an inner and outer bearings

Thankfully it has Timken bearings with what seems to be a part number
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tim1.jpg (83.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_120503.jpg (84.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg hub part num.jpg (74.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-01-2016   #7
92whiteZ

and here is the ones on the truck with what i believe to be an abs tone ring that the new /unused set doesn't
Attached Images
File Type: jpg On truck2 (1).jpg (73.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg On truck2 (2).jpg (77.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-03-2016   #8
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92whiteZ View Post
and here is the ones on the truck with what i believe to be an abs tone ring that the new /unused set doesn't
You are correct, that toothed wheel is a reluctor wheel/tone ring/exciter ring that is read by an ABS sensor to keep track of the rotational accelerations of the wheel.

All GMT400 trucks from 88-94 got a RWAL(Rear Wheel Anti Lock) brake setup. This simple system got rear whell acceleration information from the VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) located at the output shaft of the 700r4/4l60(88-92) and 4l60e(1993-2000) for the auto trans, and the output shaft of the NV3500/MG5 5 speed manual transmissions. The autos used a 40x reluctor wheel, while the manual transmissions used a 17x reluctor wheel. the 40x and 17 x means that for every complete revolution of the driveshaft, the VSS picks up 40 and 17 pulses and sends that data to the ECM/TCM and when ECM and TCM functions are combined, the PCM (Engine Control Module, Trans Control Module/Powertrain Control Module.

In the 1995+ GMT400 trucks, when GM did the interior/frontend updates, yet stayed with the TBI LO5 350(200hp/310lb/ft torque) and LO3 305(175hp/255lb/ft torque) and 160hp/235lb/ft torque TBI 4.3, RPO LB4, the trucks went to a more sophisticated 3 channel ABS. They still used the output shaft of the transmission for the rear wheel acceleration info, but added in a channel for each of the front wheels as well.

As you have noted, the bearings are loaded into the hubs with your aftermarket brake setup, the original stock 1/2 ton 2wd setup had the bearings/races that loaded directly into the brake rotors themselves, using the 5 lugs on a 5" bolt cicrle. The 4wd 1/2 ton fronts used a hub which is separate from the rotor, and all 4wd trucks use the 6 lug 5.5" bolt circle hub/rotor, while the 2wd 1/2 tons use the 5 lugs rotor only assembly with the 5" bolt circle. The 3/4 ton 2wd trucks use the same bearing/rotor assembly as the 1/2 ton 2wd trucks do, except that the 3/4 ton trucks go to the 6 lug on a 5.5" bolt circle.

1/2 ton 2wd (C1500)

1/2 ton 4wd (K1500)

3/4 ton 2wd (C2500)

3/4 ton 4wd (K2500)

Timken 4wd front hub

This is what makes the GM 1/2 ton 2wd front brakes unique, the fact that they use a rotor into which the wheel bearings are loaded, without a separate hub assembly, while still using the 5 lugs on a 5" bolt circle. The only other GM car which is similar is the GM rwd fullsize cars, such as the Caprice. But even some of these cars use the smaller 5 lug 4-3/4" bolt spacing, which is the same as the S-10, 3rd GEN Camaro/Firebird, Corvette etc.

Here is the front rotor assembly from a 1992 caprice which uses the 5x5" bolt circle, but again no separate hub assembly.

This leads me to believe that the hubs you have aren't GM. I'll do some more snooping.

Old 05-03-2016   #9
WVZR-1

Baer actually went to the trouble to develop a "web-application" for hub service parts. Here's the GM link:

https://baer.com/GM-hub-hubparts/

I'm quite confident they used a "blank" 5 on 5 that afforded the offset required for their needs. Baer has the information for sure I'd think but OP I'd think if you have a current set, a spare and the bearing information from yours you've got enough spares to last you the life of that truck.

Post the bearing information and let's check matches for those. That should be very easy. Nearly all inner/outer wheel bearings are done in sets. I can't imagine Baer changing up that aspect but it's certainly a possibility. There's many, many, many hub casting manufacturers out there, maybe very few left in the USA but there's a few.

Now if you're attempting to maybe source rotors that's likely a completely different story BUT I would think it could be done if you've the dimensions of the known fitment.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #10
92whiteZ

thx paul. I thought these might not be gm parts. baer said they "machined" them in house but I see no evidence of machine work like I see on the spindles to accommodate the caliper bracket.

combing through the timkin catalog to see what hubs use SET3 bearings.