ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-27-2013   #1
rikker

Default thermostat housing removal

anyone know how those clip hoses come apart on top and whats the best way to get to that clamp that holds the neck tube to frame from housing thanks.
rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #2
Don in VT

Default Re: thermostat housing removal

Hi Rikker,

Just checking to see if I understand your question. Do you want to remove the entire thermostat housing from the car or do you just want to change the thermostat and or the heater hoses ?

BTW, did you recently buy the ZR ? If so, is it Red ?

Get back to me and we can carry on with the thermostat housing.

Cheers,

Don
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #3
rikker

Hi I am doing over the cooling system,housing must come out both bolts are off but the tube with coolant hose on it has a strap around the tube part, and how does the two smaller hoses come off that are from the reservoir and you may know this car if your from vt, thanks
Old 10-27-2013   #4
Don in VT

Hi,

If the car is Red and you bought it from a person named Rob I do know the car. In fact if I had sold my ZR1 in time I would have bought it myself. It is a great little ZR in that is seems to run very well and it would be a very nice daily driver. You got it at a very nice price.

Now on to your cooling system journey.

First off, have your drained the cooling system yet ? If you have we can talk about that later. If not be sure to save all the coolant as you will to refer back to the amount of coolant save later as well.

The two small hoses that come down from above to the thermostat housing are actually heater hoses. These hoses are held in place by a plastic latching mechanism that holds them in place and sealed from leaking. If you are totally removing the thermostat housing\casting you will have to remove the heater hoses fittings as well. The other hose fittings are the larger hose connections the are sometimes difficult to remove. The T casting is held in with the clamp strap on the long tube and the T housing is held in by 2 bolts all the hose connections and 23 year old coolant hoses will make the whole assembly very tight in place.

I just got a call and have to close now but I will pick this up tomorrow and give you a few more tips.

Cheers

Don
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #5
rikker

Hi Don , radiator, waterpump,everything is out except housing the tube off housing has a strap clamp bolted to frame, does this get unbolted or does tube slide out,secondly those heater houses on top with those funky clips? thanks