ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > Cleaning and Waxing

Old 10-26-2009   #1
Dylan@Adams

Default Re: Engine Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Ruby View Post
Dylan, you need to do some research so you know what's up with C4 Corvette engines. Any kind of washing on an LT5 or LT1 will be detrimental to engine componets. The LT5 had a problematic paint finish applied to it that requires special attention or you can end up making it worse looking than just some dirt.
and thus the reason I stated this in the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams
I have heard the early 90-ish vettes don't like water too much
I've been professionally detailing for over 13 years now, but any LT1/LT5 vettes I have had the privilege of touching have either been pristine under the hood and required no work or were only dirty enough to require a little detail spray and microfiber to come clean, then controlled APC for any areas that needed degreasing.

As with any "sensitive paint" it will be susceptible to staining, discoloration, or worse if harsh chemicals are used for cleaning. This is the reason I suggested that even if the engine compartment were VERY dirty he use a highly diluted mixture of APC in a spray in order to control what got wet and what didn't. Trust me, I don't go around telling people with potentially problematic areas of their car to grab the hose and the harshest chemical they can find and apply with an SOS pad... if I had no clue what I was talking about I'd have been run out of business a loooooong time ago.

Last edited by Dylan@Adams; 10-26-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Dylan@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #2
xlr8nflorida

I use Toothpaste and distilled water.

Cleans my LT-5 right up and it smells minty fresh

Then I hand dry it with towel and leaf blower to be safe.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #3
RedRiderZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
and thus the reason I stated this in the quote:

I've been professionally detailing for over 13 years now, but any LT1/LT5 vettes I have had the privilege of touching have either been pristine under the hood and required no work or were only dirty enough to require a little detail spray and microfiber to come clean, then controlled APC for any areas that needed degreasing.

As with any "sensitive paint" it will be susceptible to staining, discoloration, or worse if harsh chemicals are used for cleaning. This is the reason I suggested that even if the engine compartment were VERY dirty he use a highly diluted mixture of APC in a spray in order to control what got wet and what didn't. Trust me, I don't go around telling people with potentially problematic areas of their car to grab the hose and the harshest chemical they can find and apply with an SOS pad... if I had no clue what I was talking about I'd have been run out of business a loooooong time ago.
. Says your in SoCal. I have a dirty stained engine that you can try to clean. Good test for your products.
1990 Bright Red ZR1 #41
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #415
RedRiderZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #4
Dylan@Adams

Excellent results with the Swirl & Haze Remover QB93Z!!

I might also suggest our Revive polish in that area as its intended to remove light surface contamination and stains. Its a deep cleaning polish with no abrasives so its perfectly safe on surfaces like that. I use it all the time around the door handles on the wifes SUV, its great for getting rid of all the little imperfections there too.
Old 10-23-2009   #5
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Excellent results with the Swirl & Haze Remover QB93Z!!

I might also suggest our Revive polish in that area as its intended to remove light surface contamination and stains. Its a deep cleaning polish with no abrasives so its perfectly safe on surfaces like that. I use it all the time around the door handles on the wifes SUV, its great for getting rid of all the little imperfections there too.
Thanks for the info. I grabbed the Swiel & Haze Remover off my shelf and started. Are you saying that the Revive Polish would be a little more aggresive than the S&HR? I know that both are non-abrasive but I would like to use the one that will work the best on the engine surfaces.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #6
ZR1ROB

mmm shiny good!

If you have to pull the plenum, you might as well enlarge the drain hole in the back of the starter valley. Thats the problem child. 3/8" drill is what I remember opening it out to. Not a problem since. Now I'm going out to get some gunk engine bright. mmm shiny
ZR1ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #7
Hammer

Talking Re: Engine Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1ROB View Post
mmm shiny good!

If you have to pull the plenum, you might as well enlarge the drain hole in the back of the starter valley. Thats the problem child. 3/8" drill is what I remember opening it out to. Not a problem since. Now I'm going out to get some gunk engine bright. mmm shiny
Let me know what you think. I washed one car at the car wash. That one I hadn't cleaned the plenum hole out. Didn't have any problems.

The other one, Ive cleaned twice that way. The hole was cleaned and you can actually hear the water draining, a sucking sound kinda was heard.

If you can, take some before and after pics.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #8
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1ROB View Post
mmm shiny good!

I have my engine top end parts, radiator, water pump, starter, front brakes, exhaust system laying on benches all around my 91 Z

Tell me a bit more about enlarging that drain hole...There is a steel tube (maybe 3/16) at right angle to the rear about 1/2 inch down in that hole. The hole is dead ended down further. The steel tube drains fluids to the rear from that hole and down in front of the fly wheel out just behind the oil pan. I do not want to dump oily fluid onto the flywheel from that hole so prefer using the steel tube. There is no way to enlarge that steel tube without getting inside the bell housing. I will study this further and try to invent a way to more effectively drain that area

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-16-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #9
Hammer

Talking Re: Engine Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
There is no way to enlarge that steel tube without getting inside the bell housing. I will study this further and try to invent a way to more effectively drain that area
No inventing or studying needed. The ZR-1 Net Registry has you covered.
http://www.bcvettes.org/howto/zr-1/starter/print.html
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #10
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
No inventing or studying needed. The ZR-1 Net Registry has you covered.
http://www.bcvettes.org/howto/zr-1/starter/print.html
That will work but it dumps the debree into the bell housing in front of the fly wheel. When the hole was being drilled they could have just as well put in a larger tube since they had the fly wheel removed

That will work ......just drilling a larger hole and dumping into the flywheel area is prolly better than drowning out your starter when washing the engine
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote