ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-20-2016   #1
Kwood

Default Replacement Tire Suggestions

I have a 1990 ZR-1 with original tires and wheels, 16K miles. I cannot find a recent post that suggests replacement tires for front and back. Suggestions? Mine are currently in good shape, but 26 years old, so.....

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Kwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #2
KPW

Default Re: Replacement Tire Suggestions

Welcome!

Not a whole lot of choices last I looked, but there are some.

I'll probably go with Nitto when I replace mine next, since there's a member discount with our registry.

Goodyear GS D3's are tempting, but pricey.

My car came with Sumitomo tires on it when I bought it last, they don't seem to be the favorite for most around here, others may be able to speak to why, but they've been OK for me (maybe because I don't know much better?)
1991 ZR-1 #1438 Black/Black & Red
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #3
rush91

That's a nice looking Beast you have there......As stated above, there are not a lot of choices for our cars in the tire department. Mine had new Sumitomos on the back when I bought it, but the front had the original Goodyears. I couldn't afford new Goodyears at the time, so went Sumitomos at all 4 corners. In my opinion, they are a very quiet road tire, have good to pretty good grip, but just don't want to seem to hook up on launch.......

I would want to ride in, or hear from members about the road noise on the Nittos and Goodyears before I buy. I have been extremely happy with the Sumitomos, but I maybe in the minority lol......
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #4
zr1eddy

I was in the same situation with my 1990 when I bought it this past April. It only had 13k on it with Goodyears that were date stamped from 1994. They looked nice but I was sliding all over the place. I went by the many recommendations from forum members to go with the Nitto 555. Got the from discount tire online. Paid $600 for the set, that included delivery. So far I really like these tires great for street driving

zr1eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #5
efnfast

I had Michelin pilot sports. Replaced the rears with Goodyear F1's. Boy, do I miss the Michelin's.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #6
RussMcB

I've had Goodyear GS D3's for a little over a year and I'm very happy with them. It was a hard decision because of price, but at the time my checkbook balance was higher than usual (I had just sold something).

I have Nitto's now for race track use, but before I bought the Nittos, I took the Goodyears to the track once and they performed very well.

My experience (confirmed with this tire purchase) is, when you spend a little extra for quality, it usually works out well.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #7
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
I've had Goodyear GS D3's for a little over a year and I'm very happy with them. It was a hard decision because of price, but at the time my checkbook balance was higher than usual (I had just sold something).

I have Nitto's now for race track use, but before I bought the Nittos, I took the Goodyears to the track once and they performed very well.

My experience (confirmed with this tire purchase) is, when you spend a little extra for quality, it usually works out well.
I agree. The summo's are cheap and cheerful and they wear out real fast. Normally these show up on a car just before a sale so you can state hey the tires are new. If you looking for a real good cheap tire try the faulkins but sadly they only make the fronts for our car but they have phenomenal tire wear. I have heard the pilot sports are good too however I haven't tried those. I did not like the BFGs either. I run F1 GS D3s on both my rides. I am hesitant to run anything else besides those or the Pilot Sports in the future. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 09-20-2016 at 08:19 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #8
Kwood

Thanks all!

Kwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #9
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
(snip) The summo's are cheap and cheerful and they wear out real fast.
Wow.
Doesn't that make you want to run out and buy a set of Sumitomos then give them to someone you really hate?

In the last ten years I owned Barney, I had two sets of Goodyear F1 Supercars. That basic design was done for the 2001 Z06 and proved to be an outstanding choice on a ZR-1. They had better lateral grip that the F1 GS-D3 and, in the early-to-mid-'00s were about the best you could get for a street performance tire on a ZR-1. Sadly, Goodyear did not make the F1-SC in the C4 sizes for very long.

If I had to buy tires for that car now, I'd probably look at either the F1 GS-D3 or, if Michelin makes them in 275/40ZR17 and 315/34ZR17, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #10
RICHARD TILL

I bought Nitto 555`s for the rear and they were cheap for good reason. I got what i paid for. Before i had driven on them 5 miles i realized that they were`nt as stable as my worn out 14 year old GSC`s. I`ll be glad when they wear out and i would`nt cry if a railroad spike got one of them.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote