ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-31-2014   #1
Coupe89

Default Harmonic Balancer Removal

Can the harmonic balancer be remove with the motor in the car?
Doesn't look like a lot of room.
1990 ZR-1 #642
Coupe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014   #2
diamond zr1

Default Re: Harmonic Balancer Removal

far as I know it needs to come out/might get one of the pro's like Henderson performance to chip in/mine came out to change it
diamond zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014   #3
BennieC.

Yes. I did it on my customer's car. Although it was on a 2 post lift which helped a lot. I can't imagine doing it in a garage on your back.
BennieC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014   #4
Coupe89

I'll give it a shot then. My car is on my 4 post lift in the garage. Thanks
1990 ZR-1 #642
Coupe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014   #5
BennieC.

The p/s fluid cooler will need to be unbolted and just let it hang. The rack and pinion will need to be unbolted and lifted up as much as it can to access the harmonic bolt and install a puller. It's been a few months since I did it and I believe the engine has to be lifted to clear the cross member as the harmonic balancer pulled forward. To reinstall, my installer was not long enough to reach the thread on the crankshaft so I had to modify the crank bolt. PM me your cell no. and I'll text you pics.
Old 11-01-2014   #6
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieC. View Post
The p/s fluid cooler will need to be unbolted and just let it hang. The rack and pinion will need to be unbolted and lifted up as much as it can to access the harmonic bolt and install a puller. It's been a few months since I did it and I believe the engine has to be lifted to clear the cross member as the harmonic balancer pulled forward. To reinstall, my installer was not long enough to reach the thread on the crankshaft so I had to modify the crank bolt. PM me your cell no. and I'll text you pics.
Can you post the photos or I will PM you my cell phone number also and I can post the photos for you

Cliff

This is what I have

1. Harmonic Balancer.
The Harmonic balancer is initially installed using a standard harmonic balancer bolt welded to a longer threaded shaft (the Harmonic Balancer bolt alone is not long enough to initially set the Harmonic Balancer). Use Red Loctite (262) and torque the Harmonic Balancer bolt to 148 ft-lbs (block of wood jammed into the crankshaft area with oil pan removed). Be carefull the timing chains are not locked on the timing chain idler sprocket preventing the crankshaft from turning.

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-01-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #7
BennieC.

Quote:
My car is actually in my shop on the lift, working on it for the Mojave Mile run on April. I looked at the harmonic balancer to refresh my memory and the engine does not need to come up. The thread pitch on the crank bolt is a fine thread and none of the adapter in my installer kit fits. I id not have an extra crank bolt to weld so I had to modify the original bolt to be able to reuse.

Dynomite, I text you the pictures.
Old 11-02-2014   #8
Dynomite

Quote:
My car is actually in my shop on the lift, working on it for the Mojave Mile run on April. I looked at the harmonic balancer to refresh my memory and the engine does not need to come up. The thread pitch on the crank bolt is a fine thread and none of the adapter in my installer kit fits. I did not have an extra crank bolt to weld so I had to modify the original bolt to be able to reuse.

Dynomite, I text you the pictures.
BennieC says he drilled and tapped the original crank bolt with a 7/16-20 threaded tap. He did not want to mess up an original crank bolt by welding a threaded extension just for installation of Harmonic Balancer. I am thinking the Harmonic Balancer Bolt tensile area may be reduced somewhat by internal threads if such threads extend below the flange of the bolt and such bolt is used in the final installation of the Harmonic Balancer.

BennieC's Harmonic Balancer Installation tool is a lot nicer than my welded variant

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-02-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014   #9
BennieC.

In case you guys are wondering why I included a picture of that 1/2 inch impact gun. That gun is mainly designed for crack bolt removal/install since the regular sized impact gun will not fit between harmonic balancer and the radiator on most cars, the ZR-1 included.
Old 11-06-2014   #10
shaynezrl

What size and pitch is the lt5 harmonic bolt? Or where can I purchase one of these installation tool? I'm finishing on the motor and will need to install damper back on.

Thanks
Viper 4:10
Corsa exhaust
Stainless work headers
Haibeck tuned chip

2008 duramax ccsb 4x4=
built Allison tranny, airdogII 165, Atp efi live stage 2 tunes, Afe ci intake, Atp egr delete, dpf delete, 5" diamond exhaust, and down pipe. 6" lift with 20x9 eagle alloy wrapped 35x12.5x20 Toyo trailgrabbler.
635hp
980tq :-D

Last edited by shaynezrl; 11-06-2014 at 02:47 PM.
shaynezrl is offline   Reply With Quote