ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-26-2019   #1
abull1499

Default Getting Ready to buy a ZR-1

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to purchase a C4 ZR-1 in the next few months. It was my favorite car growing, up and now I'm ready to own one.

My goal is to purchase a Z in good to great condition, and get it completely road ready at a very reliable LT5 shop. I may also add an after-market BB exhaust (if it has a stock system).

I live in Massachusetts, and am looking for advice from members. I don't consider myself a mechanic by any stretch so my plan will be to bring the car to a reliable shop consistently.

If you were in my position would you ship the Z back and forth from a tier 1 shop somewhere in the US or are their options you recommend near Massachusetts for regular LT5 maintenance.

Looking forward to the process, and can't wait to be part of the club.

Andrew
abull1499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Getting Ready to buy a ZR-1

Hi Andrew,

If you can, make it down to Corvettes at Carlisle show at Carlisle, PA. ZR-1 net registry, I believe, is the largest club presence at the event. You can expect to see 50 to 60 C4 ZR-1s at the event. I am sure that you will get more than enough suggestions, opinions and perhaps even run into ZR-1 or two for sale.
Also, ZR-1 net registry serves the best pulled pork sandwich bar none.

https://carlisleevents.com/events/ev...es+at+carlisle
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #3
abull1499

Thanks for the tip, I'l definitely try to make it down. Sounds like fun.
Old 07-26-2019   #4
rush91

You have come to the right spot for all things LT5.... I too am not a mechanic, but have totally surprised myself in the work I have done myself. I can do oil changes myself, 3 years ago I could of never dreamed of that. I've replaced the front air dam, all window seals, shift knob, battery, coolant flushes, and even repaired a huge hole in my seat bolster....The LT5 is pretty much bulletproof if maintained, as any engine. Don't be intimidated by it

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here....When I was buying mine I asked 1000 questions, and got answers on question asked. The members here are some of the nicest folks in the Corvette world, and are the most knowledgeable LT5 gurus on the planet. Good luck in your purchase, be patient and research what you want.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #5
efnfast

See all of the advice given to "vermatrix" on another thread. Good advice by secondchance, come to Carlisle. I'm headed there from NH.
There are Corvette shops around, the problem is the LT5 engine. Don't let that diswade you. Lots of advice here. I've got a decent local mechanic that comes to my house to work on mine. I like being hands on, but don't trust myself alone.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #6
abull1499

Great advice. Thanks for the quick responses. Carlisle is on this list if I can swing it. Never considered someone coming to my house to help out but that's a great idea. You probably learn a lot that way. My biggest concern would be screwing something up.
Old 07-26-2019   #7
G-Sting

Welcome.

You can find well taken care of, low mile Z's, ready to rock and roll if you are thorough and patient. There are many for sale both here and on the ZR1 Net Registry - http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Market...1sForSale.aspx

Feel free to post up any details or questions about a car you might be considering. This is a great community of enthusiasts and experts.

All the best in your hunt...
"G"
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #8
abull1499

I've had my eye on this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Chevro...kAAOSwtRRdJ9ml

Seems to be priced a bit high for the mileage but the color combo is unique. Would be interested in thoughts.

I'm also struggling to pull the trigger on a 90-92 because I believe those years don't have a passenger airbag. My wife would of course be riding with me from time to time and I don't think I could enjoy driving around knowing she is less safe than me. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-26-2019   #9
indy91zr1

Have you checked what is available on the site here? Demps is selling his 94 w/20k miles for the same price as that 91. It will have dual airbags also.
indy91zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #10
abull1499

Yes, I've checked it out. I'm just not a white car guy. If it was black, charcoal or dark red metallic I would be all over it.