ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-18-2016   #1
Ereeves

Default Power Issues

Finally took the car for a real drive last night. Everything was running fine after about 3mi. Pulled into a parking lot and swapped places with my son so he could drive. Not being use to the heavy clutch he stalled it. Who hasn't. It was after this that things just were not right. Pulling up to stops we would have to watch the rpms to keep it going, volts were going down then back up (has brand new battery) and even in the passenger seat I could feel it was running rough in the lower rpm range. It did die at one red light but fired right back up. The dash would also go out but car was still running. It would come back on when we would get the rpms back up. Brought it home and put it away.

I am confident its not serious but know chasing this could be elusive and tiresome. So has anyone been through this before and have an idea of where to start looking?
1993 #330 White/Red
2012 #172 Centennial
Ereeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Power Issues

I would check the MAP sensor hose between the intake plenum and bottom of the MAP sensor.

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15800&page=2
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016   #3
Ereeves

I will do that but wonder how that would affect the electrical system?
1993 #330 White/Red
2012 #172 Centennial
Old 06-18-2016   #4
secondchance

Way too low rpm may be causing low voltage is my thought.
Old 06-18-2016   #5
gbrtng

If the engine backfired on the restart, it probably blew the MAP hose off - a common problem. The service engine light will come on immediately - reconnect the hose and the
light will go out and all should be well again. Do not fasten the hose to its fitting because the next time the engine backfires, something else under the plenum might rupture. Think of the MAP hose as a safety valve ...
Old 06-19-2016   #6
Ereeves

There was no backfire and I check the hose and it was still connected. Started the car and everything seemed fine. So I watched the volts. AC on at idle (with a new battery too) volts would drop down to high 11's and come back up to 13.4 whenever it would cycle on/off. I think that is pretty severe and I could have an alternator going bad. What a pain in the *** this thing looks to be getting it out to check it.
1993 #330 White/Red
2012 #172 Centennial
Old 06-19-2016   #7
secondchance

Not too bad. Me and Jim replaced one at Carlisle for one of Net Registry member. Took about an hour. Figure on pulling the plenum or the air horn. Also, make sure you get correct alternator pulley for LT5. L98, I believe, uses same alternator but has smaller diameter pulley.
Old 06-19-2016   #8
gbrtng

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Not too bad. Me and Jim replaced one at Carlisle for one of Net Registry member. Took about an hour. Figure on pulling the plenum or the air horn. Also, make sure you get correct alternator pulley for LT5. L98, I believe, uses same alternator but has smaller diameter pulley.
Or have your original rebuilt - my preference given the pulley issue.
Old 06-19-2016   #9
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
Or have your original rebuilt - my preference given the pulley issue.
Rebuilt is good. Pulley can be changed over pretty easily too. Just need an impact wrench. Don't even try removing it manually. I tried...
Old 06-19-2016   #10
Demps

All great advice.

One other thought...Following the KISS principle: are the battery terminal bolts correctly threaded and tightened? I had one that was stripped and appeared tight but wasn't.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote