ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-20-2017   #1
TealZR1

Default 91 ZR1 Aqua Metallic

The prior owner bypassed the 2 upper front plenum coolant hoses on each side and took a longer hose and wrapped it around and under the air opening of the plenum. He said it helped cooling.
To go back to the original setup, is it possible to just reconnect two shorter hoses on the plenum where the exposed 2 "fitment" openings are? Not sure if I said that correctly but any help is appreciated. Thanks
TealZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: 91 ZR1 Aqua Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealZR1 View Post
The prior owner bypassed the 2 upper front plenum coolant hoses on each side and took a longer hose and wrapped it around and under the air opening of the plenum. He said it helped cooling.
To go back to the original setup, is it possible to just reconnect two shorter hoses on the plenum where the exposed 2 "fitment" openings are? Not sure if I said that correctly but any help is appreciated. Thanks
The TB has been bypassed via the tube passing under the plenum; sounds like the bypass technique Marc Haibeck employes.

Reverting it back is simply reinstalling the hoses from the right and left IH to the respective ports on the TB.

Resons for bypassing the TB in the first place is

-to avoid heating induction air to optimize intake air density (horsepower!)
-reduce the temperature of the plenum...which serves as the heat sink for the precious DIS module; by FAR the best reason of all (in my mind, anyway!)

The reason for reverting back to stock-

-to protect against TB freeze-up in near or sub-freezing driving
-to score higher in NCRS judging events.

For the reason of reducing the DIS module HEAT is really worth considering before reverting the bypass.

Just sayin!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-20-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #3
conesare2seconds

Paul covered the bases very well. Just wanted to add one more possible consideration for leaving the TB bypassed is to conserve the finish on the throttle body, which is supposed to be adversely affected by the stock setup.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017   #4
TealZR1

Thanks Paul W and Con2. Put it back to the original setup and all is well! Have a great weekend
Old 04-23-2017   #5
TealZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
The TB has been bypassed via the tube passing under the plenum; sounds like the bypass technique Marc Haibeck employes.

Reverting it back is simply reinstalling the hoses from the right and left IH to the respective ports on the TB.

Resons for bypassing the TB in the first place is

-to avoid heating induction air to optimize intake air density (horsepower!)
-reduce the temperature of the plenum...which serves as the heat sink for the precious DIS module; by FAR the best reason of all (in my mind, anyway!)

The reason for reverting back to stock-

-to protect against TB freeze-up in near or sub-freezing driving
-to score higher in NCRS judging events.

For the reason of reducing the DIS module HEAT is really worth considering before reverting the bypass.

Just sayin!
Paul, I may have spoke too soon on TB connection back stock. I short time later after doing this, I sprang a good size oil leak at the oil pan. Any connection to this? Or just a coincidence and now I have another problem. Thanks in advance if you have any input.
Old 04-23-2017   #6
We Gone

Another good reason to by-pass is to eliminate the corrosion that occurs to the top of the throttle body around the plate on top. Your oil leak could be front oil pan bolts, oil cooler hoses or one of the oil sending units on housing the oil cooler hoses connect to.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017   #7
TealZR1

Thanks We Gone, after I park the car the puddle of oil, which just started two days ago without even a drip, ends up with about a 1' x 3" puddle. A substantial amount only after a short drive. Which gets me to think it may be more than just tightening bolts or a bad gasket. Possibly more substantial like you were thinking, an oil cooler hose or oil sending unit. Thanks for your help