ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-12-2014   #81
Mitsumark

Default Re: 368 LT5 Drinking oil

Who's Frank?..Also this may be nothing,but does our oil caps have a rubber gasket ?Mine doesnt but I dont get any oil seepage.Also when checking my plugs I noticed they had oil on the very top of the threads(opposite of firing end)..Found that strange as the thought the upper threads would be sealed from the combustion chamber..Point is I was suspecting leaky valve covers in the plug tunnels and seeping into the electrodes to be burned...However the tunnels are clean and dry...Still want to try a stock chip..

Last edited by Mitsumark; 03-12-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #82
icarus-54

Not sure if this aplys,but I had a similar problem with my built syclone.Went thru many of the same steps as the op.Check the back of the throttle body for oil.I wouldn't be suprised if the so called sponges were letting oil into the pvc's and into intake.On my sy I had to build baffles in the valve covers to correct it.The simptoms were exactly the same.
1990 Zr-1 #361
1991 GMC Syclone (built)
1993 GMC Typhoon (stock)
1993 GMC Typhoon (street)
1992 GMC Sonoma GT
1928 Model A pick up
icarus-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #83
Mitsumark

^Good point.. I was thinking of that also..This motor hasn't been cracked open since 03 so I'd imagine that what's left of those sponges,if anything must be saturated..I'm gonna wind up yanking the covers to see what's going on..Does Jerry carry these sponges?
Old 03-12-2014   #84
Polo-1

Don't do all that work on the cam covers.. Way too much work for a very small piece of foam.
Better off doing oil separator. Faster, easier, cheaper and way more effective.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....+separator+pcv
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #85
Mitsumark

Wow Polo..Thanks for that..I just read 30+ threads online involving oil burning/fouled plugs and they were mostly all cured with oil/air separators..Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to purchase the best unit that includes all parts ready to go on LT5..If this turns out to be the cure I will be happier than #^£t...Most threads I've read talked about chasing this very problem for months including buying hundreds of dollars in parts that didn't cure it..The Oil/Air separator did..Seems to be More of a problem on modded motors..
Old 03-12-2014   #86
Schrade

So if the oil separator, that most put in front of the plenum inlet (or SOMEwhere between the twin PCV's and the plenum inlet), allows oil to separate into the separator can, how will it stop oil from being vaporized from the crankcase, and entering into the ... separator?

Seems to me, that the only thing a separator will do, is prevent oil from being pulled INTO the plenum. IF the separator is emptied on a regular basis...

This is why I entertained the idea of running the PCV plumbing FROM into the plenum behind the TB, TO in front of the air filter.

Never mind that vacuum would be insufficient; that's not the question here...........
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #87
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
So if the oil separator, that most put in front of the plenum inlet (or SOMEwhere between the twin PCV's and the plenum inlet), allows oil to separate into the separator can, how will it stop oil from being vaporized from the crankcase, and entering into the ... separator?

Seems to me, that the only thing a separator will do, is prevent oil from being pulled INTO the plenum. IF the separator is emptied on a regular basis...
Good point Schrade......

I am thinking he intends to dump the oil caught in the oil Catch Can back into the engine when engine is not running

Just between you and I Schrade.......I am firing up my 90' tomorrow after a quick Top End...also now have all 4 speakers working perfectly.
Stand by.....

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-13-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #88
Mitsumark

Ok I'm gonna try running the unit in the link.Notice the drain valve on the bottom of the unit..Would it work if I installed the unit inline and left the dump valve open full time and running a dump hose back into the oil pan or valve cover?If this is possible I can always tap the pan for a fitting.This would stop the need to constantly drain the separator as the oil would cycle right back into the engine.Or am I pipe dreaming?

http://lightningmotorsports.com/i-40...FZLm7Aod3jAASg

Last edited by Mitsumark; 03-13-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2014   #89
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsumark View Post
Ok I'm gonna try running the unit in the link.Notice the drain valve on the bottom of the unit..Would it work if I installed the unit inline and left the dump valve open full time and running a dump hose back into the oil pan or valve cover?If this is possible I can always tap the pan for a fitting.This would stop the need to constantly drain the separator as the oil would cycle right back into the engine.Or am I pipe dreaming?

No....you are now bypassing the function of the PCV valves.

Just install the Oil Catch Can and see how much oil you are catching through the PCV system. You will also notice immediately the oil burning (blue smoke) has stopped if the PCV system was sucking oil into the intake.

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-13-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #90
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsumark View Post

Some sort of dump valve is something I've considered as well. A valve that's CLOSED while vacuum is pulling, and allowing drainage when the motor is off.

I began thinking on this too, when I noticed oil - CLEAN oil, POOLED in the plenum vacuum INLET, after having to pull the plenum after just half a dozen Closed Loop cycles, following the 'Top End Resto', that I just finished after the holidays.

Either cycling the oil BACK to the CC, OR, filtering it up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post

This is why I entertained the idea of running the PCV plumbing FROM into the plenum behind the TB, TO in front of the air filter.

Never mind that vacuum would be insufficient; that's not the question here...........
I'm told (by Dom, I think, or Marc), that not enough vacuum can be had, if routed up to the AF housing. Q: HOW MUCH vacuum IS necessary to keep a purge on the PCV???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still thinking on it here. Even CLEAN oil will foul the burn...

Another thing I'm thinking on - is some sort of small lawn mower filter in the line. That would require frequent cleaning, based on what I saw after half a dozen CL cycles. I don't know where I'd put it, with new painted PCV plumbing that I prefer to NOT hack.

But keeping a clean burn is paramount. ESPECIALLY since total new exhaust is about to go in here.........................................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot.jpg (77.3 KB, 138 views)
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 03-13-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote