ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-30-2018   #1
Hib Halverson

Default C7 ZR1 already upstaged? Maybe-maybe not

Dodge announced yesterday that an uprated version of the Hellcat engine, rated at 797-hp, will be released in the "Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye". "Redeye"...makes me think of someone with a bad hangover.

Ironically, I just submitted a story to Corvette Magazine on the new LT5 and in researching that story, I interviewed Jordan Lee, the top V8 engine guy at GM Propulsion Systems, and he told me that during the early planning for the new LT5 that the engine, "...had to be better than the Hellcat."

Well...for several months it was.

But then, 4G Zroners ought not worry too much because even the portly C7 ZR1 weighs significantly less than a Challenger and handles a ton better...that's why you never see one of those fat-assed Mopars setting records at Nurburgring or VIR.

I told Jordan in a later email that some forum posts claim that just installing the GM Performance air box and trading the second set of cats for an X-pipe section bumps the Gen 5 LT5 to just shy of 800-hp. He didn't agree or disagree with me but said he thought hot rodders could make "..four figures". 1000-hp? I guess that's doable with just tuning, a pulley and exhaust, as long as you're willing to give up warranty coverage and some durability.

What does everyone think about the new ZR1, anyway.

Couple weeks ago I emailed Harlan Charles and asked him, of the orders so far, what were the rarest colors. He said the "Ceramic Gray Matrix" (another weird color name) and, strangely, Corvette Racing Yellow.

I think this one is pretty cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-2018-06-30-at-8.49.10-AM.jpg (32.1 KB, 73 views)
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #2
Vette73

Default Re: C7 ZR1 already upstaged? Maybe-maybe not

I finally seen one up close at a car show a few weeks ago and I was impressed....I know most think its gaudy but all the flares and bulges all serve a purpose...

The power and handling for a production car is second to none in my opinion..
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #3
Tripler

Fat Assed Mopars ,,,
Made my day Hib LOL !!! And so so true ...

Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Keeping my powder dry, Hib.

As a follower of automotive trends and engineering breakthroughs for over 50 years, my sense of it is the C7 platform ZR1 marks the high water mark for the front engine, rear wheel drive platform, AND, for that matter, it's pushrod mill too.

And, tell me Hib: Why in the name of everything that a Corvette is and does so well are readers subjected to sophomoric tripe talking about PEAK horsepower and 1/4 mile ETs as somehow "THEE" measure of what determines when and for how long a car is KING OF THE HILL?

So, since you asked, I don't get warm and fuzzy over another warmed over front engine, RWD (C7 ZR1) concept. It's reign, if there is one, will be a short one. I'm looking and watching the development of the mid engine, DOHC hybrid C8 as the platform to usher the next breakthrough in automotive superiority - just as the C4 ZR-1 did at its introduction. And, when that mid-engine, DOHC hybrid is upon us, you can bet the majority of car rag writers will be in a sweat to be the first carry the news about 1/4 mile times and (peak) horsepower to describe and define their take on the quintessential essence of Corvette for 'all readers'.

Wanna bet me?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #5
EvanZR1

A coworker just bought one (believe it's #56). Since I got him into Vettes (convinced him to buy a C6 Grand Sport a few years ago), he very happily gave me a ride in it. It's definitely an impressive car, handles really well, stops extremely well, rides great, and of course there's the power... VERY impressive. He got his with the 8-speed auto, and it puts the power down very well, and accelerates like a fiend. I don't know if it is quite to the level of the '13 GS I had with a blower that was putting down 700RWHP, but it's very close.

My coworker loves the car, and I have to say I'm very happy for him. It's his YOLO (you only live once) car.

For me though, I wouldn't trade my 91 for one. Especially since I'm doing a 392 build. I don't expect to be as fast as a C7 ZR1, or even a C6 ZR1 (although I might be closer to that one), but I enjoy the "rawness" of the C4 ZR-1 too much to give it up. I might pick up a C7Z06 to use as a daily driver in a year or two when the prices really drop when the C8 comes out, but the C4 ZR-1 is such a rare care and is a unique driving experience that's lost in modern cars.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #6
Z51JEFF

Not a C7 fan but do like seeing ZR1 back out in the public and the new grey,if it’s the solid grey with a touch of metallic,HATE IT! It looks nasty on the Mopar and pretty much the same on the ZR1. Why would anybody want a car painted a solid grey?
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #7
XfireZ51

I saw one up close at a restaurant on Big Beaver Rd. Beautiful color w the HUGE carbon wing. Love the wheels. Having said that, it is clearly a purpose built car. Fierce looking. Any comparison to a Challenger is like "cheese and chalk". Aesthetics totally secondary. I would grab the keys in a NY second if given the opportunity.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #8
conesare2seconds

I like the wide body C7s and think the ZR-1 is very cool. To me, Corvette will always be front engine/rwd but I’m not hating on the idea of a mid-engine car. However, I think it will be a slow seller. No matter how fast it is, no one who can spend a hundred grand is looking for the “world’s best performance bargain” super car. And the buyer with the means for a Porsche, Aston, Ferrari and so on will never buy a Chevrolet.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018   #9
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Keeping my powder dry, Hib.

As a follower of automotive trends and engineering breakthroughs for over 50 years, my sense of it is the C7 platform ZR1 marks the high water mark for the front engine, rear wheel drive platform, AND, for that matter, it's pushrod mill too.

And, tell me Hib: Why in the name of everything that a Corvette is and does so well are readers subjected to sophomoric tripe talking about PEAK horsepower and 1/4 mile ETs as somehow "THEE" measure of what determines when and for how long a car is KING OF THE HILL?

So, since you asked, I don't get warm and fuzzy over another warmed over front engine, RWD (C7 ZR1) concept. It's reign, if there is one, will be a short one. I'm looking and watching the development of the mid engine, DOHC hybrid C8 as the platform to usher the next breakthrough in automotive superiority - just as the C4 ZR-1 did at its introduction. And, when that mid-engine, DOHC hybrid is upon us, you can bet the majority of car rag writers will be in a sweat to be the first carry the news about 1/4 mile times and (peak) horsepower to describe and define their take on the quintessential essence of Corvette for 'all readers'.

Wanna bet me?
Not.

My guess is when the performance version of the mid-engine car arrives, it will have 500-600-hp worth of 5.5L DOHC tt driving the rear wheels and 200-300-hp of electric motors driving the front wheels.

The only issue that has me concerned is there has never been any mid-engine car with enough cargo room for long road trips. The is one characteristic the front engine configuration has going for it.

My guess is the 4G ZR1 will be the last large displacement, front motor Corvette. Also, I think the car will end up fairly rare. The 2G ZR-1s lasted six model years. My guess is the 4G ZR1 will go one maybe two model years. About 500 cars have been build so far.
current owner 19 VIN 1878

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 06-30-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018   #10
ssrszz4

The Dodge is not even in the same ballpark.

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote