http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...item230c853055
91 ZR-1 #391
rogerzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #2
xlr8nflorida

Default Re: OBX Headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerzr1 View Post
I have never heard of them. Not sure how they would bolt up. Sometimes it can be a nightmare making them fit up.

They are about 1/3 of the price of existing header options.

He has some interesting negative feedback but also alot of positive feedback. I just hate to see you get them and have them not work out for you. You usually get what you pay for. However maybe this will be the first inexpensive set available which would be great for those owners who are looking for headers at a fair price.

Those headers are 304 stainless. Stainless Work header are 409.

409 is a titanium stabilized ferritic stainless steel which means that it is a steel alloy containing chromium. It contains less nickel and more carbon than 304 stainless steel. Ferritics are best suited for high temperature applications that require corrosion resistance and high strength. The principal use of 409 stainless steel is automotive exhaust systems and most catalytic converter shells are made of 409.

More workable and stable than 304, 409 will accept bending and heat cycling better than 304. It resists both atmospheric and exhaust gas corrosion. It is magnetic due to its higher carbon content. Through chemical reaction, it oxidizes to a slight brownish hue which aids in corrosion resistance. While it does not polish well, it offers the advantages of higher strength, lower cost and longer life due to its heat handling qualities.

Someone who has all the measurements should contact them and get lots of pictures and measurements. A member could pull the trigger on them and then if they work out good, someone could approach them about a "Group Buy" benefiting all the the membership.

I would do it but I am not in need of another set of headers. Also, I'm not that familiar with header measurements etc.
By eyeballing them though they look decent - just like SW Headers.

I know the SW headers had issues with the dipstick tube when they first came out.

The first test would be if you can get these guys to give you what you need, detailed photos, specs, return policy etc.

Which brother of the beast wants to spearhead this project??

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-13-2010 at 09:01 PM.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #3
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Saw those too.... $450? WOW!

Doubtful they are an exact fit, I bet they copied another vendor?

Love more info on them!
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #4
xlr8nflorida

For comparison purposes:

xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #5
tomtom72

JMHO If you do a comparison of the right side units side by side the cylinder #2 primary tubes look to be a different configuration....no?

Is it possible they somehow got a hold of the other header pattern? I seem to recall Watson and Jeal, or something like that? I would think there could be small differences between the two competing original header designs from way back when. I must admit I do not know enough about LT5 headers so I may be way off base here. Sorry.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #6
Hammer

Talking Re: OBX Headers?

Looked on their website. NA there.
http://www.obxracingsports.com/index.php
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #7
Aurora40

I've heard of them from the LSx world. They just started making headers for the CTS-V, also at about half the price of the only other player. Several people said they've had them on other cars, and the fit and quality was good.

It sounds like they are made in Japan, though if anyone contacts them about them, I'd be interested to know if that's true/untrue.

If I didn't already have headers, I'd definitely consider them. $1000+ for headers is kinda crazy when you look at how cheap they are for so many other cars.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #8
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Sent Marc Haibeck the link to the headers....

He said it looks suspect.

ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #9
Pete

Heck,for that price i would not hasitate to try them.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #10
mgbrv8

I just bought a set. I bought the full long tube exhaust from them for my 2003 Zo6 and it is a dead copy of the old design LG motorsports design except for the x-pipe instead of the h-pipe I had a 33hp and a 48ft/lb gain on the dyno and they sound awesome. The build quality was excellent and the fit was exact. I have had them on my car for 8000miles with no leaks or issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 010.jpg (85.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 011.jpg (103.3 KB, 83 views)
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote