ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > ZR-1 Net Registry Club News

Old 12-10-2006   #1
rkreigh

Default BG 2007 Planning

I’d like to bring up many of the suggestions from our board meeting and extend them out to the club. All of these suggestions at this point are “unofficial” because we haven’t talked to the vendors just yet or made arrangements. It’s the perfect time to bring them up for feedback and run to ground the ones that everyone is most interested in.

The Gathering at Bowling Green

May is right around the corner and it’s time for us to flesh out the schedule. Some members have complained that there isn’t much going on at BG and it’s the same old thing. Time for a new coat of paint to keep it fresh in my opinion as I tend to agree!

First on the list is the cookout at Wendell Strode’s place. Although it’s news to me, the NCM got some feedback that many folks aren’t that interested. It’s a long drive, the gravel road, same old thing, several voiced that they were tired of it. I’d like to hear from you. The one thing I’d like to do is sponsor OUR OWN food. Let’s do some burgers dogs and steaks. You essentially sign up for what you want and pay accordingly. Yes, we’ll have to do our own cooking and plates serving but isn’t that part of the fun? Back to old school when the club was young and we did it ourselves. The catering is convenient, but I think the cost would be the same or less and the quality would go way up.

Road racing. Last year we proposed on Wed road racing. It’s going to take about 25 people to step up if you are interested to get a decent deal on it. I know most can’t make it on wed so how about we move this to Thursday or Friday? Since it will be a small group of people we’ll have parallel event but the real question is anyone interested and we’ll need to get them to prepay if so.

Drag Racing. We’ll rats! There may be a snag with us joining the National Muscle Car Association this year. Not sure what it is yet, I’m going to investigate. This is a big part of the event and been a major bummer the last few years (rain, conflicts with other groups, ect…). I’d like to first propose we move the date of the gathering either later in the spring or to another time (not mothers day if you ask me) to where we CAN drag race. The NCM is talking about this too and I think it’s a good idea. Nothing really sacred about the date if it interferes with letting the beast eat for a romp down the 1320. I’ll also find out what the deal is with the NMCA for sure, maybe we can join them. I want to thank Dwight for doing this last year. We didn’t get as many runs as I would have liked but it was still a blast seeing all the fast cars. I would even propose we just go hang out and watch this year with a “corvette corral” at the drags as many seem a bit hesitant to flog their car and risk breaking it. Let me know what you all would like.

Autocross with a twist. The autocross is a lot of fun but again, participation is down. I’d like to spice it up a bit with adding RC Nitro cars and offering a prize (to be determined) for the fastest lap. We can even just set up some cones on the NCM parking lot if they are OK with it and do this at a different time. It’s a great way to roar around without risking your own car and if you’ve never done it before, it’s pretty challenging and fun. These little rascals will hit 60 mph just as quick as we do which is a scale 600 mph!

Owners night out. Again, the dinner at the UPlaza is a bit costly and the food although pretty good, with all the BG restaurants and our club size shrinking a bit, I think there are several that could accommodate us. Like to hear from you on this. We’ll still do the free beer at the UPlaza afterwards so you won’t be tempted to get smashed at the restaurant. A few places were suggested and I think this might be more fun as we need to get out more!

Poker run. I honestly have never done one of these but those that have think they are a lot of fun. Again we’d offer a registry sponsored prize for the winner. It’s a nice twist on the standard cruises which everyone seems to enjoy. Seeing a whole line of ZR-1s out the road isn’t something you see everday.

A ZR-1 Corvette Calendar. I think the NCM would be the best location for this. We could shoot 12 ZR-1s that the crowd votes for and get two pics, one with the owner, and one with some of those sexy girls that seem to always be hanging around. Sam of SexyVettes.com and I have talked about it, but we need to see what interest level there is to see if it’s worth it.

A ZR-1 “light mod” party over at Jim VanDorn’s new place. Again, I haven’t even talked to him yet but my bet is that he would be willing. We could cook out, throw an exhaust and chip on the car, or even a ported plenum, and do before and after dyno runs if we can get Backstreet dyno down there or Jim has one. This would be feasible only for a couple of cars do to the time involved. Might even be able to do some “before an after” chip installs for those of you with light mods already done. I’m pretty sure I can get Mr. Haibeck interested in that too. But again, I need feedback to know if this is worth pursuing.

Invite the Callaway owners formally. With our numbers shrinking a bit, it would be cool to get the B2k and SuperNatural guys out there. They are our neighbors at Carlisle every year and I think we should extend a warm welcome to them and naturally the Grandsport owners as we always have. Getting the numbers up there allows us to keep the event alive, adds some new things to learn and discuss, combining the resources of the clubs just makes sense to me.

A “dyno challenge”. Not too many folks have taken advantage of the Backstreet dyno and they don’t even meet expenses. They won’t likely return unless we get the numbers up there. The challenge could have a few categories, most hp and torque, most improved, most consistent, ect.. Again, we’d throw in some ZR-1 Net Registry sponsored prizes to attract the participation.

Most of all, what would you like to see that’s new? The Gathering is your event, and it’s wide open throttle to do anything you want. That’s the beauty of our club. Our charter and purpose is to keep the legend alive and well, and have fun with those that appreciate the ZR-1 for what it is, a world class supercar that got the Corvette back on the map and openly challenged the world. I’ll be posting a lot over on our website as it sorely needs some traffic to generate interest there too.

The club will either prosper and grow, or wither and die. I for one am going to make sure it’s the former not the latter. We have a great opportunity to have a lot of fun and learn more about the ZR-1 and why it’s held in such high regard. Please join me and share your thoughts and desires so we can work together to help make them happen and make this years gathering a notable and enjoyable event.

Ron Kreigh
Typing at 7400 rpm
President, ZR-1 Net Registry
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006   #2
Jeffvette

Default Re: BG 2007 Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh

First on the list is the cookout at Wendell Strode’s place. Although it’s news to me, the NCM got some feedback that many folks aren’t that interested. It’s a long drive, the gravel road, same old thing, several voiced that they were tired of it. I’d like to hear from you. The one thing I’d like to do is sponsor OUR OWN food. Let’s do some burgers dogs and steaks. You essentially sign up for what you want and pay accordingly. Yes, we’ll have to do our own cooking and plates serving but isn’t that part of the fun? Back to old school when the club was young and we did it ourselves. The catering is convenient, but I think the cost would be the same or less and the quality would go way up.

Ron, I can not say personally anything good or bad about going to the Homestead. I think cooking for ourselves is a great idea. Although it might be better to have a few people volunteer to man the grills.

Quote:
Road racing. Last year we proposed on Wed road racing. It’s going to take about 25 people to step up if you are interested to get a decent deal on it. I know most can’t make it on wed so how about we move this to Thursday or Friday? Since it will be a small group of people we’ll have parallel event but the real question is anyone interested and we’ll need to get them to prepay if so.

Thursday would be great, as most of us don't have the luxury of being retired and showing up early. I'm not sure how to attract other people to road racing, other than say "Grow a Pair".

Quote:
Drag Racing. We’ll rats! There may be a snag with us joining the National Muscle Car Association this year. Not sure what it is yet, I’m going to investigate. This is a big part of the event and been a major bummer the last few years (rain, conflicts with other groups, ect…). I’d like to first propose we move the date of the gathering either later in the spring or to another time (not mothers day if you ask me) to where we CAN drag race. The NCM is talking about this too and I think it’s a good idea. Nothing really sacred about the date if it interferes with letting the beast eat for a romp down the 1320. I’ll also find out what the deal is with the NMCA for sure, maybe we can join them. I want to thank Dwight for doing this last year. We didn’t get as many runs as I would have liked but it was still a blast seeing all the fast cars. I would even propose we just go hang out and watch this year with a “corvette corral” at the drags as many seem a bit hesitant to flog their car and risk breaking it. Let me know what you all would like.

I'm indifferent on the drags. If there is enough interest, go for it.

Quote:
Autocross with a twist. The autocross is a lot of fun but again, participation is down. I’d like to spice it up a bit with adding RC Nitro cars and offering a prize (to be determined) for the fastest lap. We can even just set up some cones on the NCM parking lot if they are OK with it and do this at a different time. It’s a great way to roar around without risking your own car and if you’ve never done it before, it’s pretty challenging and fun. These little rascals will hit 60 mph just as quick as we do which is a scale 600 mph!

Loaner cars available?

Quote:
Owners night out. Again, the dinner at the UPlaza is a bit costly and the food although pretty good, with all the BG restaurants and our club size shrinking a bit, I think there are several that could accommodate us. Like to hear from you on this. We’ll still do the free beer at the UPlaza afterwards so you won’t be tempted to get smashed at the restaurant. A few places were suggested and I think this might be more fun as we need to get out more!

I agree with a few others, dinner at the Plaza is a rip. A few other car groups are coming to the same conclusion. There should be a local place that is willing to handle the group. Hell even Pizza delivered and consumed sitting out in the oarking lot or grass is fine.

Quote:
Poker run. I honestly have never done one of these but those that have think they are a lot of fun. Again we’d offer a registry sponsored prize for the winner. It’s a nice twist on the standard cruises which everyone seems to enjoy. Seeing a whole line of ZR-1s out the road isn’t something you see everday. A ZR-1 Corvette Calendar. I think the NCM would be the best location for this. We could shoot 12 ZR-1s that the crowd votes for and get two pics, one with the owner, and one with some of those sexy girls that seem to always be hanging around. Sam of SexyVettes.com and I have talked about it, but we need to see what interest level there is to see if it’s worth it.

Poker runs or Road Rallys are great. Bust they take a lot of time to set up properly.

Quote:
A ZR-1 “light mod” party over at Jim VanDorn’s new place. Again, I haven’t even talked to him yet but my bet is that he would be willing. We could cook out, throw an exhaust and chip on the car, or even a ported plenum, and do before and after dyno runs if we can get Backstreet dyno down there or Jim has one. This would be feasible only for a couple of cars do to the time involved. Might even be able to do some “before an after” chip installs for those of you with light mods already done. I’m pretty sure I can get Mr. Haibeck interested in that too. But again, I need feedback to know if this is worth pursuing.

Eh.

Quote:
Invite the Callaway owners formally. With our numbers shrinking a bit, it would be cool to get the B2k and SuperNatural guys out there. They are our neighbors at Carlisle every year and I think we should extend a warm welcome to them and naturally the Grandsport owners as we always have. Getting the numbers up there allows us to keep the event alive, adds some new things to learn and discuss, combining the resources of the clubs just makes sense to me.

Callaway guys would be great. Might even talk to Hutch and see about the GS guys.

Quote:
A “dyno challenge”. Not too many folks have taken advantage of the Backstreet dyno and they don’t even meet expenses. They won’t likely return unless we get the numbers up there. The challenge could have a few categories, most hp and torque, most improved, most consistent, ect.. Again, we’d throw in some ZR-1 Net Registry sponsored prizes to attract the participation.

Most people have probably dyno'd at home, no need to spend the extra cash for knowing what you know already.

Quote:
Most of all, what would you like to see that’s new? The Gathering is your event, and it’s wide open throttle to do anything you want. That’s the beauty of our club. Our charter and purpose is to keep the legend alive and well, and have fun with those that appreciate the ZR-1 for what it is, a world class supercar that got the Corvette back on the map and openly challenged the world. I’ll be posting a lot over on our website as it sorely needs some traffic to generate interest there too.
Quote:
The club will either prosper and grow, or wither and die. I for one am going to make sure it’s the former not the latter. We have a great opportunity to have a lot of fun and learn more about the ZR-1 and why it’s held in such high regard. Please join me and share your thoughts and desires so we can work together to help make them happen and make this years gathering a notable and enjoyable event.

Good luck Ron. I know you can do it
Old 12-10-2006   #3
DDSLT5

Quote:
Ron - I would suggest we avoid the NMCA day for our drags. It is cool to watch them drag if you want to go and do so, but we only got 3 runs down the strip in, and I seriously doubt it would be any dirfferent this year. I am suggesting we rent the track for the thursday night ourselves - without any involvement of the NCM - they just seem to screw things up for us. I'll put in an email to Beech Bend right now and let you know what is up. Failing this - I agree, another weekend would be better.

I'll let you know.

DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #4
Peaven

1st off, congrats Mr. Prez!

Being a noob owner/member, I haven't had the pleasure of attending "the Gathering" as of yet, but I've got a green light from the boss to attend my 1st one so I'm planning on being there in May. Here are my thoughts...

A BBQ sounds like a good time, and I'll echo yours and Jeff's sentiments that we could do our own grillin'. I'd be willing to volunteer for grill duty, etc....it doesn't matter, as long as there's beer.

Since I've never done ANY road racing, I'm neutral on this one. I could learn, I guess, but I'd be way slow...at least until I learned something. I am curious about it though, but probably won't do it this year.

Drag racing is something I used to do now and then, and would be interested in that for sure.

RCnitro cars....sounds like fun.

A "mod" party, sounds very cool...I still haven't put on my beam plates, maybe we could do that? As a matter of fact, I've got a number of mods I'd like to do, just haven't saved up all of the funds I need to do 'em yet. I'd certainly volunteer Blue to use as an example in a tech session, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing the B2K cars around, either....and as far as dynos go, I've never done mine yet, so I'd be curious to see what she'd do so count me in on that.

All that stuff aside, my main objective at the gathering would be to put some faces to names on this (and the other) forum. It really is about the people, the car is just the tie that binds. I'm really looking forward to my 1st gathering....thanks Ron.
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #5
GrayZ

Cool Re: BG 2007 Planning

HEllo..MR. PResident....I can't think of anyone more qualified...to take over the reins..of our beloved "mom" than you... good luck and thanks already.

Ok....here are a few of my thoughts...i like the idea...of..
drag racing @ night...if it can happen..I got tired this last year of waiting all damn day long..and only getting to race down the course against 2 lpe
415's and 500 hp car...my stocker was just getting goin...maybe if we can get the strip to ourselves..we can set up more fair matchups..
I'd be more than happy to help make it ALOT more interesting..sorta..
settle things...on who's faster than whom..and so on... and so on..
the only glaring problem..is...if you break on thursday nite...you ruin the rest of the weekend...if you break on saturday..
you only ruin the owner's life............. many miles from home...not all have trailer's...Ron..had to limp home last year.
Bob Hall at the western gathering.....no fun...at all.
compromise...maybe late saturday nite????
after the drag dudes...are finished?
yeah, that's the ticket...we'll call it..."MIDNIGHT RUN" ?
i'll make cheap t shirts
and I'll supply free trophies...

Autocross ..i have no opinion..never have done it...and really couldn't care less?
. rc cars for those that have them would be cool...plenty of room at the south end of the holiday inn plaza ...but not an event on it's own i wouldn't think...i'm not much on the go cart racing..could take it or leave it...and last year..since i was new...didn't make it to the track.

Bar b Que..nice drive out to the location at wendell's...and fun to see all the vette's...together in the rolling hills of ole Kentucky..
also very nice to have a big shed to gather in...in case of inclement weather.. gravel road is less than a 1/4 mile unless ya made a wrong turn...and since i'm in the restuarant business...i understand the problems..of feeding that many people...
a barbque on it's own...us in the parking lot..would be fun..for just a bullsh=t session...but i liked the cookout..the drive..maybe we could control the menu..i'd be willing to help..on that one...believe me..cooking for a few friends is alot different than cooking for over a hundred..grills..
charcoal...side menu...baked potatoe's the fixing's...a pain in the azz
sounds good...but actually having to do it...well...sucks..burnt meat..not enough sour cream or butter ..baked potatoes not baked...paper plates..nowhere to sit....ect....logistics are a pain..
hell we can't all decide on one thing to do...

Poker Run....sounds great to me.i give it 5 stars...
..i likey..it would put a bunch of us together....and allow us to drive around the area a little....see some stuff we wouldn't normally see..
after all...the racing stuff is a rush...but isn't it just as fun..
just driving our beasts?.....i'd be willing to help organize this one too..
everyone kick in...15.00 ..money goes to the three highest poker hands..
too cool for school...friday nite lights?? start from the plaza ...
end up at the steak n shake a 1/8 of mile from the hotel..??
another idea..is instead of dinner at the plaza..the last place we would end up at..would be where we ate dinner and found out who won the poker money..i know there is a bar and grill in the area..that would be happy to sponser us...probably with a banquet room...

Calender...great idea..probably should have it on a grassy area ...that way if someone slips in the presidential drool...they won't be hurt by the fall.
i really really like this one...so can we do it please ...please...

road racing..as we speak..i am in the process of growing some..

Callaway..boys..yeah for sure..they need to be a part of this..i like everyone of them i've met...they got special cars...we should be together like a family re-union...and GS boys..and the C4 boys.

my closing thoughts...now that i have a attended a few of our gatherings.
we seem to have alot more fun when we're together..than apart..
(add your own punchline here).
so let's try and do just that...things together...
maybe not so many things...but more quality things. i hope i am making sense. (not that the events were not quality before)
although i am not complaining... sometimes...less is more..
GET everyone to go ...............to the barbque..
get everyone to do the poker run...that way..it'll be more fun...isn't that what it's about...spending time w/ our friends.
Sharing ...the sounds of birds...
the wind blowing through what's left of our hair?
anything i can do to help..let me know...i'm bored shitty..
Keith

Last edited by GrayZ; 12-11-2006 at 09:37 AM.
GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #6
Tyler Townsley

The Heritage Musuem has some early cars that can be had but they have to be asked, the NCM has no clue in this area. I sent Chris the phone number of the guy who controls these cars hopefully he can get the 89 04 pilot car and a 89 mule. There is a private party with a mule but he is like me about making it known. I at least have a title he does not, but if the former cannot be done he said he might bring it.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #7
Z Factor

Thumbs up Re: BG 2007 Planning

Quote:
First on the list is the cookout at Wendell Strode’s place. Although it’s news to me, the NCM got some feedback that many folks aren’t that interested. It’s a long drive, the gravel road, same old thing, several voiced that they were tired of it. I’d like to hear from you. The one thing I’d like to do is sponsor OUR OWN food. Let’s do some burgers dogs and steaks. You essentially sign up for what you want and pay accordingly. Yes, we’ll have to do our own cooking and plates serving but isn’t that part of the fun? Back to old school when the club was young and we did it ourselves. The catering is convenient, but I think the cost would be the same or less and the quality would go way up. .

The self cook idea sounds fine provided there are enough volunteers willing to help out. Unless you find someone who loves to cook it would be a lot of work for just one or two guys. Another alternative would be to have a local place cater the food to a location of our choosing. Down here we have Shorty's Barbeque and they bring their own grill and smoker along with everything needed for an outside gathering at reasonable prices. Overall I think most would be fine with a change this year.

Quote:

Quote:

Changing the date is fine. Having several different weeks to chose from and polling the members that will attend as to which date would be best would be ideal.

Quote:

No opinion on this one.

Quote:

Sounds good.

Quote:
Poker run. I honestly have never done one of these but those that have think they are a lot of fun. Again we’d offer a registry sponsored prize for the winner. It’s a nice twist on the standard cruises which everyone seems to enjoy. Seeing a whole line of ZR-1s out the road isn’t something you see everday. A ZR-1 Corvette Calendar. I think the NCM would be the best location for this. We could shoot 12 ZR-1s that the crowd votes for and get two pics, one with the owner, and one with some of those sexy girls that seem to always be hanging around. Sam of SexyVettes.com and I have talked about it, but we need to see what interest level there is to see if it’s worth it.

Sounds like a great idea as most people enjoy them.

Quote:

I think you will find that the newer owners that want a few light mods will love this idea. I know from having attended Mid America's gathering many people take advantage of the mod stations during the event.

Quote:

Another good idea.

Quote:

My thinking would be along the same lines as Jeff's. However those who would be getting the mods might very well want to do a before and after dyno, if not just an after if the price was reasonable.

Quote:

I think you are off to a good start trying to stimulate interest in the gathering and seeing what can be done to broaden it's appeal.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #8
Aurora40

Hey Ron,

My two cents. This'll be my first Gathering, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The events sound fun. I'd probably be interested in drag racing, and I'd maybe be interested in the road racing. Personally I'm not that interested in autocrossing. The problem with drag racing and road racing, though, is that it's 675 miles from my house and I have to drive my car home at the end of it.

The mileage also make Wednesday events a little less feasible. Being that one day is spent driving, that basically turns it into a week of time off vs an extended weekend.

The Poker Run or just a drive or whatever would be fun, and whatever the food events are, I'm fairly indifferent to, I'm sure if everyone's there it'll be fun wherever it is. I'm no fan of gravel roads, but it sounds like it's not that big a burden.

For the RC cars, do people already own them or something? Or do you rent them? Or how's that work?

The dyno challenge doesn't seem like it would be much of a challenge. I suspect 90% of us know our car won't be the most hp, the most tq, the most anything. And as Jeff mentioned, those of us that want to know the dyno number probably already have had it done. While it's cool they have a portable one, and dynoing is certainly a "car" thing, I'm not surprised they have low participation. Dynoing as a tool is more about repeatable testing, which means using the same equipment. If you got a baseline with them, then went home and added some mods a few months later, what would you do, go try to track them down at the next event they go to for the "after" run?

Having never been, I've no affection for or opinion on the date. If it works better to change it, change it.

Quote:
Invite the Callaway owners formally. With our numbers shrinking a bit, it would be cool to get the B2k and SuperNatural guys out there.
We wouldn't have to start wearing collared shirts, would we?
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 12-11-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #9
Kevin

I love the BBQ at Wendell's....I'm just sick of the same crappy chicken at every event. Ron, you and I talked about this a few years ago at one of the dinner/acutions. And yes the callaway guys want a formal invite....not sure why, but they do
Old 12-11-2006   #10
Peaven

Well f***....I just found out that I'm already committed to an event on May 5, so I likely won't make it. This really sucks.
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote