ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Personal Racing Stories

Old 05-28-2009   #21
rhipsher

Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hemi Kill Story

I hear a 415 stroker crank alone runs $5000. Would'nt I need special LT5 specific tools to do the engine work?
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #22
1990 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I hear a 415 stroker crank alone runs $5000. Would'nt I need special LT5 specific tools to do the engine work?
correct about the price of the crank. doing a 415 yourself isn't a very easy project to fill the spare time. if you are a very experienced and accomplished engine builder then maybe consider it. it's not like doing a 383 on a chevy smallblock. I would recommend getting on the known engine builders in the ZR-1 community for the 415, such as Jeff Flint, Marc Haibeck, Aaron Scott or Corey Henderson. Good luck if you try to tackle it yourself.
1990 415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #23
rhipsher

I wouldn't tackle a 415 build myself. It would only make sense to have Corey do it since he's close. Just happy and greatfull to own a ZR-1 at all. Plus I don't think spending $25 to $30K on a car that already cost me $22k would go over to well with my wife. She's already pissed because I have more toys than she does. I have to keep the peace in order to get a piece if you know what I mean. I'm a slave to the peice.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #24
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Nice Kill Craig. Kind of like snakes to me, they're all cobras! Kill them all.

BTW, what was the PCV problem & how did you cure it?
Jerry,

Thanks, I hope to have something worth bragging about the next time.

I thought I had the PCV problem licked with burning oil, but it is just better and not cured. My original PCV pipe brackets were broken so the world's most expensive hose to me was sagging and possibly causing oil to be sucked in at a great rate that it should have causing my oil burning. One of the members was so kind to give me a set of pipes and I bought the SAMCO hoses with new PCV valves. It really did help and I thought I had it cured but the caravan to the local Corvette show and shine on Memorial Day proved otherwise as there was complaints from the Vettes behind me. I'm not sure if I just did not burn out all the residue from the prior problem or not. I might end up trying to Seafoam as I have heard about and see if I can clean it out and then monitor the plugs, catch can and exhaust. I am going to do some vacuum testing before going leak down and compression testing. I can't imagine that I have oil ring problems with 53K miles, but you never know. If so then I have to do some serious thinking about a build up or get rid of it.
Old 06-03-2009   #25
z proud

Who has the 402 for sale?
z proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #26
1990 415

my brother Dwight has a black 1994 402 built by Aaron Scott of South Georgia Corvette. It has 525 rwhp and is very clean. Will not disappoint.
1990 415 is offline   Reply With Quote