ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-29-2016   #1
billschroeder5842

Default 1991 INTL REST light gone crazy

My INFL REST light comes on and off intermittently with no apparent reason on my 91.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I can start the car, watch the flashes go off drive it and it sometimes comes on. A few more miles, and it may go off or stay on-- you pick. Most of the time I don't see it and everything is normal, but every now and then It pops out of no where.

Also, the car seems to reset itself when I turn it off and/or go through a new start cycle again.

Now, I've read about the 90s having issues and the fix was made for 91. I read that due to the location of the sensors, they are prone to corrosion and the fix is to pull them off, clean the surfaces and reinstall.

I've also read that the code need to be cleared, but the light goes off. Does the system store the code or does it disappear?

Any ideas?

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #2
jss06c6

Default Re: 1991 INTL REST light gone crazy

Bill,

Check out Mike's post. (MickeyD). Good write up there. He's dealing with the same issue on his '90..

Sent from my QTAIR7 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #3
MickeyD

Boy am I. Don came up and he tried to help clear it with paper clip and then we went to his house and tried Cliffs code clearer. Didn't help. Infl rest an seat belt light still on. Thanks to Don (32valvesftw), what great help today. Did bring his ramps to help with oil change. Thanks again.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #4
jss06c6

Mike,

Feel free to come over here and put it up on my lift for next oil change!

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Old 12-30-2016   #5
jss06c6

Mike,

Let's see if we can clear it up. How's your schedule next week?

We can put it in my shop and get after it.

Steve

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Old 12-31-2016   #6
WVZR-1

OP - Diagnostics, codes and procedures for a '91 are way different than anything you see mentioned for a '90 MY. Disregard everything and do diagnostics in the FSM. A FLASH diagnostics will only do current codes I believe BUT if there are HISTORY codes it will I believe flash a 13 and then the HISTORY needs read using a scanner.

Doing the sensor maintenance is time wasted without doing the diagnostics first for '91 or later (MY THOUGHTS). Since your SIR is intermittent it "hints" that when there is NO SIR there's only a stored history likely. If checked when "LIGHT ON" you could likely assume that if one FLASHED is likely the same in the history. A read of the FSM 9J before doing a thing. A poor connection maybe at the connectors at the column base, the air bag itself, the DERM or to the sensors. A '91 also has an ARMING sensor.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016   #7
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
OP - Diagnostics, codes and procedures for a '91 are way different than anything you see mentioned for a '90 MY. .....A poor connection maybe at the connectors at the column base, the air bag itself, the DERM or to the sensors. A '91 also has an ARMING sensor.
I drove her yesterday with about 5 on/off sequences-- nothing-- all ops normal.

One thought I had is that I've been doing a lot of cleaning under the hood and engine (Oil line replace) as of late. Simple green, hose rinsing, brake cleaner..etc. The under hood is looking better, but some of the water may have worked its way to a sensor causing a short?

I'm thinking of taking the panels off and getting after the sensors (cleaning and re-grounding) as a preventative maintenance, but other items keep taking precedence as long as the light is out!

BTW... is there a "preferred" code reader/clear or is the paper clip method the way to go? I had an 82 with the ALDL and I bought a connector to my laptop. Very cool program.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 12-31-2016 at 09:11 AM.
billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016   #8
32valvesftw

Mike, the more I think about your situation, its the sensor on the passenger side. What we were seeing when the light momentarily went out was the system recognizing that the process was done, and the resetting due to the fault. The next step should be cleaning the connections and checking the wiring, then see if there is a code. I'm happy to help f you need.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016   #9
jss06c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
I drove her yesterday with about 5 on/off sequences-- nothing-- all ops normal.

One thought I had is that I've been doing a lot of cleaning under the hood and engine (Oil line replace) as of late. Simple green, hose rinsing, brake cleaner..etc. The under hood is looking better, but some of the water may have worked its way to a sensor causing a short?

I'm thinking of taking the panels off and getting after the sensors (cleaning and re-grounding) as a preventative maintenance, but other items keep taking precedence as long as the light is out!

BTW... is there a "preferred" code reader/clear or is the paper clip method the way to go? I had an 82 with the ALDL and I bought a connector to my laptop. Very cool program.
Bill,

Check the ALDL connector you have for the '84, I suspect it is early style. You can pick up a cheap OBD1 code scanner at most auto parts stores. It will give you the codes, but not clear the codes.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Old 12-31-2016   #10
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post

This I believe would be "time wasted" without doing diagnostics 1st.

Scanning and diagnostic requirements are very different dependent upon the system that you want to check. The "jumper" FLASH or the ECM/CCM through the DIC are very reliable for some. Short of a quality Tech1/1a or the Snap-on offering everything else is insufficient. A laptop for "run diagnostics" yes but NOT for "controlled devices" in the car.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote