ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

View Poll Results: Which coil packs do you have?
AC Delco 53 71.62%
Accel 4 5.41%
MSD 17 22.97%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2012   #21
CJ_ZR1

Default Re: Which coil pack do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
You don't happen to have pics or a p/n would you?
Nology p/n 011 118 081

CJ
CJ_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #22
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_ZR1 View Post
Found pic from before we started project, can post some close ups Monday.
Thanks for the pic. They are some big ole wires aren't they? They look twice as thick. I take it you and Daniel are working on this change together. Any other pics or p/n #'s for coils, wires, and plugs that you Daniel have is always appreciated. Thanks, guys
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #23
scottfab

Quote:
Found pic from before we started project, can post some close ups Monday.

Nology Hot Wires

It would be valuable to have a before and after dyno comparison with just the wires swapped.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #24
vilant

I looked into Nology. Just one of those cables cost $314.13. Unless in the quantity column 1 means 1 set, not 1 wire. They also have Carbon fiber wrapped cables. $314.13 seems reasonable for a complete set. $2513.04, not so much, lol. They claim a 300x more powerful spark. At that much more, you think it would be arc-welding the interior of the engine,lol. They also claim more HP, might be worth it.
Old 10-21-2012   #25
CJ_ZR1

Quote:
Thanks for the pic. They are some big ole wires aren't they? They look twice as thick. I take it you and Daniel are working on this change together. Any other pics or p/n #'s for coils, wires, and plugs that you Daniel have is always appreciated. Thanks, guys
Quote:
I looked into Nology. Just one of those cables cost $314.13. Unless in the quantity column 1 means 1 set, not 1 wire. They also have Carbon fiber wrapped cables. $314.13 seems reasonable for a complete set. $2513.04, not so much, lol. They claim a 300x more powerful spark. At that much more, you think it would be arc-welding the interior of the engine,lol. They also claim more HP, might be worth it.
Vilant,

Yes, they are very big wires. The Screamin Demon Coils and Nology Wires were bought and installed in 06/2000 by previous owner, I just looked through my 3 inch thick folder of receipts. Yes, they are $300ish a set. We have already reinstalled the plenum but I will remove it again to take a few pics, easy to pull plenum without coolant in yet.

I have known Daniel since high school and this being my first vette he has been helping me out. I picked up this Z in April of this year and have really been enjoying her. Daniel has a lot more experience with vettes but we are learning on the ZR-1s together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
It would be valuable to have a before and after dyno comparison with just the wires swapped.
Scott,

Like I stated above the previous owner installed coils and Nology wires, so I am not to sure about the performance claims. It would be cool to see differences with just wires swapped.
CJ_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #26
mike100

I've always been skeptical of Nology's strategy of more spark energy at any cost as it must seriously shorten the life of the coil. maybe for very high compression or FI applications, but I figure if you can make 500 hp on a stock system, no reason to mess with it.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #27
Captain A

Use OE coils. Did the swap a few weeks ago and am very happy.
Captain A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #28
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post

Anyway, I purchased AC Delcos. I bought them from Amazon for about $34 each. I figure that at 22 years, it's probably cheap insurance.
You sure about that? I just searched Amazon, the only coil packs they have for the ZR-1 are made by United Tech. They do have AC Delco but not for our cars, unless you got the last ones.
Old 10-22-2012   #29
vilant

Well it looks like A/C Delco is the winner. I don't know if there's any added benefit by using Accel or MSD (there may be, but no one posted it), but they are more expensive. Just purchased 4 new OEM A/C Delco for 34.99 ea. from White Racing. Also purchased new Delphi injectors from FIC, and new wires and gaskets from Jerry's. I'll grab the plugs from Autozone or Pepboys. Might as well support our sponsors right.
Old 10-22-2012   #30
Daniel_Mc

Quote:
We have already reinstalled the plenum but I will remove it again to take a few pics, easy to pull plenum without coolant in yet.
CJ,
Looks like the plemum has to come back off anyhow... I left a beer bottle under it BTW what was the plenum torque again? 89 ft-lb right? Ill make sure and put plenty of red thread lock on those

Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote