ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-20-2022   #1
WagonDriver

Arrow Tracking down the history of "Ten Penny"

Long time viewer, new poster so hold on to yer asses.

Maybe 10 years ago I acquired '91 #0079 - "Ten Penny" from an underwhelming ebay auction. I design aircraft engines for a living, and always have been enamored with the LT5, so this was m chance, what could go wrong?

The car was a bit of a basket case, and over time is fully coming together. It didn't come with a lot of history, just a list of some generic aftermarket parts, but as I rebuilt different components and systems I've been tracking unique markings and feel like this particular Z has some history. I'll leave any assumptions out of it and see if y'all can fill in some blanks using only the things I'm sure of.

As for the name "Ten Penny" is paint penned on many many parts of the car. The first time I had it on a lift it screamed that the car had been taken apart and put back together... why else would you mark it like that.

I can only assume it has something to do with a 3in framing nail, but honestly have no idea. But I still call the Car "Ten" out of respect.

When I got it the transmission sounded like ***. Growled mercilessly and clunked hard from a failing dual mass flywheel. When I pulled it, I saw more paint pen, but this time it said "Auto Masters". At the time, I was completely unfamiliar, and thought to myself "oh ****, this is a scrapyard transmission".

I reached out to Bill Boudreau to find out about rebuild options to which he replied the following:

"There is a bit of history behind this transmission. I built this unit for Jim Van Dorn of Auto Masters in California (at that time). Auto Masters has since then moved shop to Bowling Green KY next to the Corvette Museum and the Corvette Production Plant.

That was ZP Build #135 (I?m currently building #314) that I built for Jim Van Dorn to be used in one of the two Grand-Am Pirate Racing ZR-1 cars. One of Pirate Racing ZR-1 is on exhibit at the Corvette Museum today. Bill Cooper was the driver for Pirate Racing. Cooper was a push-it-to-the-edge driver with one wheel off the track during most corners. During the last two seasons, they had a tough time keeping transmissions in one of the cars because the frame was starting to separate and the undue stress was causing the mounting ears of the transmissions to brake off. Where the ears welded back on with this particular unit you have? If you could, please send me a few pictures of the entire transmission.

This transmission played a major roll representing Corvette Racing on the Grand-Am circuit during the years that GM didn't have deep involvement with Corvette Racing."

Indeed it had been.

I've found a lot of things here and there that are highly modified. of significance is recently a trip under the plenum to swap injectors (finally gave) and cleaning up all the other aging items under there, noticed these markings:

Is it possible that a single car is a JVD car and also has been to DRM? Does DRM 1 mean the first one? No idea, but this thing is a beast and I'm happy to take care of it, and hopefully piece the history back together. As the car is approaching 100,000mi there are obviously odds and ends that are always in need of tidying, but it still turns heads and destroys everything at a stoplight.

Caretaker of: '91 #0079 - "Ten Penny" (AutoMasters & DRM Car)

Last edited by WagonDriver; 09-20-2022 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Grammar and formatting
WagonDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022   #2
bob@tradeshowconsulting.c

Default Re: Tracking down the history of "Ten Penny"

Very cool history...thanks for posting.. looking forward to how this story will unfold.
Good luck ...
bob@tradeshowconsulting.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022   #3
PhillipsLT5

Great story
Have you contacted DRM with your questions?
91, Maybe before the black widows?
Maybe Hib Halverson in CA has some insight or Graham Behm
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022   #4
WagonDriver

I haven't yet... just saw the DRM markings last weekend. my heart is prepared for them to say "that's just a coincidental casting marking" but you never know. It does have the oversized throttle body, and it is fully ported.

If anybody knows any of the missing pieces feel free to chime in

Last edited by WagonDriver; 09-21-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2022   #5
DRM500RUBYZR-1

I remember them from the earliest days of the ZR1 Registry.

Could not find anything quickly but this one mention.
Give it some time; other long time members certainly knew all involved.
It will come forth.

Marty

8-17-2002, 04:20 PM #1
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pirate Racing
Ive never seen mention of Pirate Racing in here and theyre the only all Corvette racing team I know of. Our company is also a sponsor (were 4th on the sponsors page). Ive met a few of the team members/owners before and these guys are serious hard core corvette folks. Our companies owner has just retired and sold the company to us, the employees, but has always had a vette as long as Ive known him. He has a gorgeous red ZR-1 and a full race C5 also.
http://www.pirateracing.com/
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022   #6
WagonDriver

Hey DRM500RUBYZR-1, Assuming you have a DRM car, by any chance do you have the same "DRM" markings under the plenum, TB, Intake etc?
Old 09-23-2022   #7
tiegsd

Intriguing. Please see keep us posted as the story unfolds.
1990 Black/Black ZR-1 #1155
1993 White/Red coupe (Regrettably sold)

tiegsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022   #8
WARP TEN

I suspect Hib might know something about this or maybe Graham or Doug Rippie and his group. They don't seem to have picked up on this thread so maybe you could PM Hib or Graham and ask if they could chime in. Just a thought. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022   #9
WagonDriver

I reached out to Hib, "Ten Penny" didn't ring a bell. Sent an email to DRM, haven't heard back.

Other Tidbits:

- The glovebox was signed by Dick Guldstrand (which I believe he just signed things for funsies, not that it's particularly relevant)

- The previous owner had purchased the car at Barrett Jackson - Vegas, no history there just an oddball list of mods, definitely no mention of the ported intake, upsized throttle body... etc.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...R-COUPE-133217

- The car was originally a California car, living in Ojai and La Crescenta for the first ~60,000mi. It did a short stint in Great Bend, KS and then Douglasville, GA (where I purchased it back in 2012... and then brought it to NY, NC and now back to California ~30mi from where it was first registered)
Old 09-25-2022   #10
Hib Halverson

Usually, Street Skinners had ported heads and injector housings and partially ported intake plenums. The TB with the oversize secondaries was on some but not all.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Seeya,
H.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote