ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Technical Questions

Old 10-17-2017   #21
karlaw

Default Re: Buzzing noises from glove box

When ignition switch fails, is it always the key cylinder part ? Or could it be the plastic wire terminal connector after the key cylinder ? Will a generic steering wheel puller work ?
I used to pull GM steering wheels a few years back in cavaliers and Chevy trucks, to fix the theft recovery cars I bought at salvage auctions.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 10-17-2017   #22
QB93Z

Hi Robert, I was in Edmonton, AB on the way to Alaska in my Yellow 1994 ZR-1 and then in Calgary on the way back but I never made it to Red Deer. That is a beautiful area that you live in.
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017   #23
QB93Z

It is late for me here on the east coast so I will go through the Wiring diagrams tomorrow. In order to check for a bad Ignition Switch you might be able to access the connector on the switch and check for continuity across the Start contacts. I will post more tomorrow.

Jim
Old 10-18-2017   #24
QB93Z

In the Service Manual Vol 2, look at page 8A-30-0, Starter and Charging System.

The Ignition Switch is shown at the top of the page. On the car, if you can, identify the Yellow wire from terminal "s" of the ignition switch connector 2.

Remove the connector and check for 12VDC on terminal "s" of the switch measured to battery negative, with the Ignition Switch in START.

If you have 12 volts on terminal "s", then we will need to trouble shoot the Starter Enable Relay circuit (ECM, CCM, VATS and Door locks etc)

If you do not have 12 volts at terminal "s" then check for 12 Volts at terminal "D" or "B", the input side of the ignition switch.

In START, if you have NO voltage at "s" with voltage at "D" or "B" then the ignition Switch is faulty.

Jim
Old 11-05-2017   #25
karlaw

I finally was able to check that yellow wire, and in START there is good power. It was a difficult one to test. I removed drivers seat and dropped down the steering column.
I removed the switch and seen corrosion on one of the tabs. Going to buy new switch anyways because it's all apart.

Old 11-05-2017   #26
karlaw

I also checked for power on both plug ins to the ignition switch, each plug had one live wire in key OFF. One live wire was red, the other plug the live wire was red/orange Color