ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-04-2010   #1
rhipsher

Default Throwout bearing.

You know whats coming. It broke again. Pulling into the Olive garden to eat. Pushed the clutch down and pop all the way to the floor. This scene is getting old.

I like this scene much better.

It needs a complete suspension rebuild anyway and a fresh set of tires all the way around. But this time I'm going with a spec stage 2 or 3 clutch. And I'm not the only Z owner that I've talked to that has had similar problems with the wire popping off that holds the throwout bearing onto the flex plate or the lip from splitting in two. But I really won't know what happened until I remove the slave. If the fork is pushed all the way back then its broke again and another trany pull. I'm not going to get to it for another 6 monthes. Just have to many other more important things going on in my life right now to mess with it.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Throwout bearing.

Ouch! I hate to hear that, buddy! Was it you or someone else that made the effort to run a bearing down that was NOT made in China? (I seem to recall reading about someone finding such a part in Canada somewhere.

I don't know what it is about those bearings tho. I broke a new one while installing the trans on my LT1 car. I don't recall what it was that caused it, where it was made, nor even sure what caused it to break. It may have had something to do with that keeper spring coming off (it did).

If I lived close, I'd help ya pull it apart and we'd see what we could see!

Anywayz...That sucks. Sorry to hear it - and in the spring time too.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #3
LGAFF

Do you have a new slave/Master cyl in it?
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #4
Hammer

Talking Re: Throwout bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Ouch! I hate to hear that, buddy! Was it you or someone else that made the effort to run a bearing down that was NOT made in China? (I seem to recall reading about someone finding such a part in Canada somewhere.
That was Dave Hetrick in Texas. He lost a TO Bearing on my old car #458. His username is mgbrv8 .
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #5
rhipsher

The first one that broke was the original. The second one was the one that comes with the Valeo kit. This one was a chinese one but was thicker than the others. A spec kit is whats going in there this time with the ceramic disk. Everybody that has it loves it. And those are the same people that told me I would love the Fidanza and they were right. I do love it. And now the car will have a much higher quality clutch in it. I just wish I could modify the car on my time table instead of on it's time table. Hahaha! But since it will be down a while I'll be able to fix eveything that I've wanted to at my leasure. New poly bushing kit front and back. New ball joints top and bottom. Get the Bilsteins revalved. And go ahead with the coil over install. I'll let Corey do the coil over install. The car will handle fantastic after all of that.
Old 04-05-2010   #6
tomtom72

Rick, this is just a fwiw on the poly bushings. They will make the ride quite a bit harsher if the road is not like real smooth.

I re-did my front suspension the winter of 09. I used VB&P sway bar mount bushings and end link kits along side replacement A-arms from corvette recycling. There was nothing broken on my OE stuff save the boots on my ball joints. I was very concerned about dirt getting into the ball joints due to the broken boots and was going to do them as a safety thing. Soooo my set up ( ) is stock arm bushings added to poly sway bar stuff.....over the roads here in metro/NY city area the front skips or bounces around and the ride is harsher than stock....due to the road conditions. I'm actually a bit sorry I didn't just leave the stock sway bar stuff, or replace it with OE stuff. Oh, yea it's sweet on glass smooth roads.....but we don't have many of them.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #7
rhipsher

I hear you man. But check this out, My suspension has gotten so bad that my steering wheel shakes once I reach 59mph and up and once I hit 80mph it smooths out a bit. And sometimes it shakes worse than others. It follows the cracks and uneven surfaces in the road. I mean I did fix the rear end vibration because I had the drive shaft 180 out of rotation and that totally fixed that problem. Every video of you guys cars at the drag strip I see I notice none of them squat like mine does upon launch. It looks like your cars maybe sink down 1/4 to 1/2 but that's it. Mine squats like there's an 800lb gorilla in the back. And I hate that. I guess thats why I'm leaning toward coil overs. I've driven a Z that had them and it was a great feeling ride at any speed plus it cornered awesome. So I guess stiff ride VS a dangerously unstable ride. I mean sure the car looks great and the engine looks fantastic. I just need a great handling suspension to match. All it takes is money. Ususally once a car gets 85K miles on it it's a pretty sure bet that the suspension components are wasted especially after 20 years.
Old 04-05-2010   #8
GOLDCYLON

Dayum again. I just remember you doing this. Dont complain too much at the 20 year point. Thats when the heater core gods get envyious. Just been there and had that done.

Good luck to you bro.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #9
rhipsher

I know. Thats ok Daryle. When I get done it will be better than it ever was before. I look forward to the 180 degree difference in the ride and handling it will have. And then maybe then I will finally get headers with high flow bullet cats to compliment the top end porting I did. What a shame to have one arm tied behind its back like that on the exhaust side.
Old 04-05-2010   #10
jonszr1

wow\ rick bummer about the clutch, your car does seem to squat alot, was that pic before or after you got the other rear spring>?
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote