ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-13-2017   #1
90_ZR1

Default Intake coolant issue

The fragile coolant stem on the drivers side of the intake of my '90 has broken off and I can't find anything which will keep it sealed. Can I just plug the hose which feeds the coolant, and related hoses, or will that harm the motor?

I've seen other posts where people removed the intake and blocked ports, but don't want to have to do all of that if I don't have to.IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg
90_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Intake coolant issue

You can tap and place pipe plug in the Plenum each side as shown in first photo below with no harm as you have essentially blocked TB Coolant but still have to remove some coolant when removing the Plenum. Or you can plug each of those ports each side of Plenum however you like with no issues regarding the engine coolant.

You suggest the Coolant is fed by the hoses when in fact the coolant is fed from the Injector Housing so you have to plug those two Plenum Ports that feed the TB and on Passenger side feeds into the Coolant hose to the Black Reservoir in front of the Passenger Window. You do have to also block the hoses at some point to keep coolant pressurized backwards from the Black Coolant Reservoir in front of the passenger Side Windshield. Another idea....you might be able to remove the broken nipple using an "Easy Out" as I think Jerry has the Replacement fittings which are press fit or you can Red Loctite the replacement fitting back into place.

In the second photo below, TB Coolant is blocked at the Injector Housing and no coolant has to be removed when removing the Plenum.

1991 LT5 with TB Coolant Blocked at Injector housing,
ALL TB Coolant Hoses and Tube eliminated using 1/8 inch Allen Pipe Plugs

1990 LT5 with TB Coolant Blocked at Injector housing, ALL TB Coolant Hoses and Tube In Place

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-14-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017   #3
90_ZR1

Default Re: Intake coolant issue

Thank you for the detailed and informative response! I bought a small aluminum fitting which I inserted between the nipple and housing which will provide good support, as well as, help funnel coolant into the tb. I sealed it with marine epoxy. If it doesn't hold, I'll just remove and plug affected parts. I like the cleaner look anyhow, but may try to sell it this summer, so I want to keep it 100% original at this point.
90_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote