ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-15-2014   #31
Mitsumark

Default Re: 368 LT5 Drinking oil

Just to address a few of the statements above..When I picked up this car in Virginia last July,it ran strong to the point that it actually scared me.I've owned some quick high powered Mitsu's that made power on boost.However I wasn't used to the instant power just tapping the gas like in this car.It was a fun ride back to NJ..The car had a rock steady idle,pulled hard,and just ran great.The one thing I noticed that I hated the most was a 1100rpm idle.The previous owner had all the documentation on the car.The build sheet stated that idle was set high to quite the inheritant noise that comes with a light flywheel..I hated the high idle as it was very loud,I was putting a ton of gas in it,, and getting out of 1st sometimes was a pain with the CC stage 3 clutch..So I contact Marc H for one of his tunes.I told him what I had and he burned me a chip for a 368 with my bolt ons..After speaking with him,I also relocated my IAT sensor from the airhorn to under the front bumper..while waiting for the chip to arrive I also installed plugs that were a step colder than stock..Once the chip arrived, I followed the directions and started it up..I don't know which of the things I did that did it,but the car hated it..Although the idle was where I wanted,the car hunted for idle, ran very rough,and developed misfires.I even listened to it ping many times under light throttle on premium fuel.I drove it for a month thinking the computer would relearn and things would get better..They didn't..The misfires and hunting idle were driving me nuts so I started replacing everything..Coils,back to correct HR plugs,new IAC valve,new MAP sensor and hose,Jerry's PCV rig with new valves,new Delco 02 sensors,and I checked high and low for vac leaks under and around the whole engine..Non found..Installed new 2ndary vac pump and turned the key.. Worked like it should..Ran 3 sec and shut..Would continue to run when I pulled a vac hose the way it should..The car now ran again without any misfires.The idle still does hunt from 800-1200 rpm while rolling in neutral until I completely stop where it settles around 700..The smoke started a few weeks ago.. I hammered it a bit getting onto a highway and held on..It took off but I noticed a nice cloud behind me..Didn't think nothing of it.I had it idling in my driveway a few days later and I noticed after running for about 10 min it started smoking faintly out of the tailpipes..It has smoked everyday since then..Currently,sometimes I can be sitting in traffic for 10 min and there is no smoke at all..Then all of a sudden,even without throttle,I'll get the smell,look behind me and theres the smoke..It comes and goes at random..Again, I don't know jack about these cars..But I did drive through a few bad misfires before I discovered I had a bad coil.. I honestly think I burnt a valve up with the dead cylinder being dumped with fuel,the plugs being to cold and loading up(they were covered sooty Black when removed)..Just a bad combination of things..For the record,the build sheet says the car dynoed 459 WHP and it stated 'recommend customer returns after break in for more tuning'..The chip I removed and sent to Marc did say B Kirchoffer on it..

Ya know I was thinking maybe the oil got so thinned out from dumping fuel with the dead cylinder and cold plugs that maybe it thinned out enough to get past valves and rings.. I'm gonna try changing the oil again but I did not smell any fuel in the crankcase with the cap removed..

Last edited by Mitsumark; 01-15-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #32
bradley

is there a place you can run her on the dyno to get what the air fuel is ????kinda sounds like she is pig rich . you can pull the plenum the pull the injectors out while still attached to the fuel rails . have a friend turn the key on while you look at the injector sand see if you have a leaker . oh put a towel under the injectors before doing the test
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #33
scottfab

As you mention in the original post your oil light came on so I agree, it's smoke from oil. What you did not mention (or maybe you implied it) is that the oil comes from both sides? If it does not have a crossover or H pipe and smoke is from both sides then you'd be burning oil on both sides. If it's a burnt valve then there are burnt valves on both sides. (less likely) If the oil burning is due to lack of valve guide seals then it would come from both sides.

FWIW
I know for sure what is in my engine.
I have an almost bone stock 90 with >90k on it. It has no valve seals. It burns a bit of oil at each WOT. It burns hell of a lot more on the track when I use the wrong oil. (1qt of 0w30 in 20mi). It burns more when I inadvertently overfill it. (don't let the oil settle)
When I let it sit overnight and top it off it burns about 1qt per tank full with lots of WOT.

Now here is the interesting part.
When I use a 20% mix of 10w40
AND
only fill the oil to the bottom of the dip stick line I get very little oil burn.

Just food for thought.
Hope your wife's fall was not serious. We're all pulling for ya.
We all have weeks like that.

PS unrelated but 3sec between secondary pump cycles is not good. That is too much leak down. When you're below 10sec cycling then you're on the slippery slope toward 1sec cycles and failure of the secondary to hold in.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #34
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post

It burns more when I inadvertently overfill it. (don't let the oil settle).
This is a good point Scott:

Some engines, when you put too much oil in the crankcase, the crankshaft spins IN THE OIL, and makes a foamy, frothy, jammy mess.

It will make the oil light come on, when the system pickup tube starts suckin' up the froth.

I can't imagine WHAT goes through the PCV plumbing when this happens.

And who knows what would go through the cylinders. And the exhaust...

I don't know how LT5 dynamics would handle too much oil...

(good job Admin on editing - some people don't know a tactful way of telling another that they THINK another MIGHT be wrong. Even if they KNOW they're wrong. 'Cause they might NOT be wrong)

Like so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
That's what it ALL ABOUT - learning. No one knows it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by name removed
I would NOT have mentioned 2 Ohm if just "anything close would work"!
OK. I didn't know the igniters in the bag were that close in tolerance. I learn something new every day.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Slightly more tactful ways exist of telling someone they might be wrong too...

ed.:
That's a good attitude there Franke. And good restraint. Responses like that start arguments. Right or wrong...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 01-15-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #35
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
I usually wait 24 hr to check oil, you can not get a accurate read immediately

A true statement, I always pull the dipstick in the morining however 2 qts is telling I think the guide/seals are the key
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #36
geezer

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth here - the PCV valves are new but as we know each has very different characteristics to deal with 'no load' plus WOT conditions. A lot of blowby at 'no load/ low load ' Could the PCV 's be reversed? LH is AC 913. GM info. has this reversed.
???
geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #37
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth here - the PCV valves are new but as we know each has very different characteristics to deal with 'no load' plus WOT conditions. A lot of blowby at 'no load/ low load ' Could the PCV 's be reversed? LH is AC 913. GM info. has this reversed.
???
I doubt it as the Stock PCV 2 piece hose is stepped as are each of the PCV valves with a body stop to avoid reversal. To reverse it would be rather odd and look of it would be Odd as well. In the non stock Samco replacment that could be done however I would tend to say no as the stock one was designed to give the mechanic a clue. In the correct position both PCV valve will be flush in the hose as intended. Actually a neat little bit of engineering by GM if I must say so
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 01-15-2014 at 04:11 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #38
Mitsumark

Quote:
PS unrelated but 3sec between secondary pump cycles is not good. That is too much leak down. When you're below 10sec cycling then you're on the slippery slope toward 1sec cycles and failure of the secondary to hold in.
Maybe I was mis understood..The 2ndary vac pump is brand new and cycles on for only 3 sec when the key is turned..It does NOT cycle on at any time during running unless I pull off the vac hose that controls secondaries..Then it will run nonstop.Although its irrelevant to my issues,I've already established the complete secondary system is fully functional.

Quote:
Re: 368 LT5 Drinking oil
???
Good guess..However as stated above they really only fit one way correctly.I second guessed myself with that and double checked it yesterday..I really appreciate all the ideas and advice on what to do..I have about 2 hrs to play with tomorrow so I'm gonna change the oil with M1 15W50..I will also do a compression check..Standbye fellas..
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #39
Pete

Can you try using the old PCV valves, of course clean them first.

Let us know how the thicker oil works out.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #40
LGAFF

I run 15-50 all the time and ran it in the car prior to installing the new engine with valve seals; reduced smoking at idle
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote