ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-10-2013   #1
gbmidyear66

Default The Dreaded No Start

Took my son to his roller hockey game today. Came out after the game and its dead as a doornail. No solenoid click - nothing. Wiggled the clutch switch with my fingers - still nothing. Had the wife pick us up, we all went to a movie. Came back to get a tow truck to get me out of my parking space - and it fires right up!

I am guessing a flakey clutch safety switch, or maybe my sweaty hands on the ignition key resistors confused the VATS. So I'm looking for a clutch switch - and supposedly the part number is D2212A or 10045822. I can find photo's of these online - though they are not readily available.

I pulled of the hush panel off to take a look - and now I am quite confused .... the switch I have in there looks nothing like either of the apparently correct switches. I took a photo of what I have (see attached). Can anyone set me straight? Do I have a substitute in already - or are the above part numbers incorrect).

Thanks

Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0074.jpg (97.1 KB, 56 views)
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #2824
4.10's, Custom PROM, Flowmaster, Top End Port
NCRS BC Chapter
gbmidyear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #2
WVZR-1

Default Re: The Dreaded No Start

I'd say the first check since it does crank and run now, with-out disturbing anything check to see what in the past 22+ years has been by-passed. Take the car to the "wide-open" spaces and see if the clutch switch has been by-passed. Will it crank in gear with-out the clutch pedal depressed?

Use some contact cleaner on the ignition cylinder. Do you have a second newer key? I don't know that I'd go looking for trouble first. A snapshot like you've supplied isn't like putting "eyes on" the same view.

The "blue wire" indicates that what you've taken snapshots of is brake switch related. Where does the heavier purple wire go? Your part # for the switch is correct, they're getting harder to find.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #3
sdickens

That exact same thing happened to me once. I thought it was my clutch switch as well as I had that go out on another Vette years ago.

The problem went a way a few minutes later. I tested it and I am able to start my car in gear without pressing the clutch, so my clutch switch has been by-passed. Never did figure out what that issue was and it did not happen again.
sdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #4
scottfab

Did you happen to notice if the "Security" light on the left of the tach was flashing? If so it was the VATs. It may not have read the key pellet right.
A 4min wait is needed if the Security light is flashing before try to start again.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #5
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Take the car to the "wide-open" spaces and see if the clutch switch has been by-passed. Will it crank in gear with-out the clutch pedal depressed?
Just put in neutral and see if it will start without depressing the start switch.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #6
LGAFF

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20411&page=2
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #7
LGAFF

Follow the yellow and purple wires in the photo.....the white switch is to turn off cruise control when clutch is depressed

90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
Old 06-11-2013   #8
gbmidyear66

Guys, thanks a lot for your inputs.

Lee - your photo's on your post (#13) shows that your 90 has the exact same clutch switch as my car - which is really weird because that switch is not what is shown in the 1990 FSM (page 7C-10 Figure 9 - which shows the D2213A). It looks to me like the 90 had multiple configurations for the clutch switch ? Can anybody shed any light on this?

My car does NOT have the clutch switch bypassed. But I am going to splice into the switch side of the wiring and add a toggle switch in parallel as a "backup".

In my case - I am thinking my problem was more likely a VATS/Key issue - as I do not recall hearing the fuel pump run when I turned the key - just dead silence.

I'm going to clean the key and the ignition cylinder. If I have the problem again, I will 1) look closely for "security" indicator, and 2) check for change on voltmeter when key is turned and I operate clutch - this should help me narrow it down.

It is a real frustration when this happens, didn't drive the car to work today because I had appointments I had to be on time for - hate not being able to rely on it starting.....
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #2824
NCRS BC Chapter
Old 06-11-2013   #9
LGAFF

The car also has a starter relay on it.....
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
Old 06-11-2013   #10
gbmidyear66

Lee, I wished you'd posted 10 minutes earlier....

I guess I'm officially a dumb***, I see a switch operated by the clutch pedal and assume its the safety switch - wrong. Yup, there it is on FSM 9B-3, cruise control release switch.

Guess I will just clean the key and the ignition cylinder and be more observant of the presence of "Security" indicator and movement of voltmeter to narrow mine down if (when) it happens again.

Any luck with your's Lee?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #2824
NCRS BC Chapter