ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-30-2013   #1
Schrade

Default Front fascia yank and clean...

ed.:
Any harnesses ground up front here, that need re-seating?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will we ever get a perfect burn in the twister??? Always SOMEthin' will come up besides

RodB's comment kinda' bothered me, about melted lens assemblies, and my bulbs ARE lit up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Ok. Just so you think your posts aren't read. I suspect the arm in question belongs to Gordon K as he did most of the C4 manuals. Maybe he will autograph the page for you! As far as my 90 the bumper cover needs to be removed to get to the lens. It the bulb is removable as the picture shows from under the hood. Follow the wires and you have to turn the grommet 1/4 turn and pull it out. It is on a stem about 5" long and there isn't much room to pull it out. The bulb is on the end if the stem. Reassembly is reversed but be sure the bulb seats and twists that 1/4 turn. If not the bulb will just lay in the plastic tube and melt the mounting tabs and will require replacement of the lens assembly. Don't ask how I know but believe me, it will happen!
...so DataMaster aside, and front fascia off. Does it ever end?

Out with the spray lube, and silicone spray.

Fender well screws...

Lower dam bolts...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5609.jpg (118.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5610.jpg (112.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5611.jpg (121.4 KB, 158 views)
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 09-30-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #2
Schrade

Default Re: Front fascia yank and clean...

Upper fascia trim bolts - break 'em loose, then work 'em back and forth while spray lube-ing...

Last 2, center, to hold it and and see what's left to disconnect, and impede removal...

Bulbs from below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5612.jpg (73.3 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5613.jpg (142.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5614.jpg (139.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM7143.jpg (152.3 KB, 152 views)
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 09-30-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2013   #3
Schrade

Bulbs D side.

Separation.

Cleaner than one would expect for 23 years' debris collection (only 32k tho')
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5615.jpg (98.1 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5616.jpg (79.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5617.jpg (167.7 KB, 154 views)

Old 09-30-2013   #4
Schrade

Lens assemblies.

Does the lens separate easily from the lens body? Mine are intact, but like most, I imagine, they have cracks at the edges...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5618.jpg (139.5 KB, 149 views)

Old 09-30-2013   #5
Z51JEFF

While I dont think these come apart the fronts do.I polished mine awhile ago,took forever but well worth it.The fronts are coated with a clear so you will need to sand through that first.The lenses have a part number but these are impossible to find.I have a nice driver side marker for $75 if your interested.By the way I didnt pull the lenses from the housings on the front driving lights,too much of a chance breaking them.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #6
mike100

Waiting to see how your reinstall goes. I have found it difficult to line it up flush with the hood line. I did this to perform a repair on another C4.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #7
ghlkal

What a job Schrade. How long did it take to get the fascia off?

Are you doing this to remove the side marker lights only, or will you pull the front driving lights too?
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #8
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
What a job Schrade. How long did it take to get the fascia off?

Are you doing this to remove the side marker lights only, or will you pull the front driving lights too?
This job is pretty straight forward,the hardest part of the install is getting the 9 bolts started along the top edge of the bumper.Getting the bumper lined up along the hood edge isnt a problem,there is no adjustment as least this is what I found on my 91.I had to pull the bumper to replace a driving light.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #9
We Gone

Great job and will be well worth your efforts when done.

Actually there are quite a few adjustments that can be made all along the attachment areas for height and level and the shims behind the crash bar for hood gap and angle. With that said if it did not need any and you did not change them no need to. One thing I see is that the underside bumper cover center is missing/modified? No accesses covers to fog lamps.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #10
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
This job is pretty straight forward,the hardest part of the install is getting the 9 bolts started along the top edge of the bumper.Getting the bumper lined up along the hood edge isnt a problem,there is no adjustment as least this is what I found on my 91.I had to pull the bumper to replace a driving light.
Yep - pretty accurate. No real 'Cautions' to consider here when you do this...

Took a few hours, only because I didn't know what to expect, with '90 frame under '91'-95 body.

And there's already been evidence of '90 / '91-5 mis-match , with the air dam mounting. The triangular cut in the air dam sides was obviously to accommodate extra curve.

(do body parts have 'year'? )

Only did it to re-insert the fog lamp bulbs there ghlkal - and sure didn't want to have melted lens bodies.

I can't take stuff apart without thorough cleaning, including screw threads and bolt holes. Cleanup is in order here too...

And there's paint dings - no better time to address them. One nasty mark circled...

Then start knocking off road jam from the insides - scribe markings for the mounting plates...

The same OUTboard bolt (yellow arrow) was missing from both sides. Any ideas?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5621.jpg (86.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5619.jpg (84.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5620.jpg (131.0 KB, 105 views)