ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-10-2018   #1
Ccmano

Default Tensioner and Belts beware...

So as part of the current winter project with items too numerous to detail, I changed the serpentine belt on the Z recently. Looking at various sources the recommended belt is 80.5 inches long. Available from various manufacturers and sources. I purchased a Duralast from Autozone. When I started the car afterwards I instantly noticed the tensioner making a rattling noise. Even got squealing when the A/C compressor kicked in. I thought, crap! You do one thing and something else goes wrong. Knowing that tensioners can be rebuilt I looked up the thread here in the forum, bought the parts and rebuilt the tensioner. From the looks of the inside it needed it. Excellent info as always. Here’s the link.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ight=Tensioner

Something in the back of my mind reminded me there was a belt issue as well. I started searching and sure enough. There are several past threads on the matter which seems to come up every few years. Here’s one.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....erpentine+belt

Seems the standard quoted replacement belt length is 80.5 inches. Why, no one knows. The original belt measures 80.1969 inches. Belts are available in 80, 80.2, 80.25 and 80.5 inches. Apparently the much quoted Marc Haibeck recommends 80 inch belt to tighten things up a bit more. So I took his advice and purchased an 80 inch belt Dayco 5060800. After installation I must say there is a significant difference in the tensioner position. I have posted some pictures below.

My take away is this. If you have a weak tensioner, the 80.5 inch belt will show it quickly. The 80 inch belt may save you a tensioner rebuild for at least a while. On a side note there is also an alternator pulley diameter question that plays into this. Apparently replacement alternators have some variation.
H

80.0 inch belt

80.5 inch belt

90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 05-14-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Tensioner and Belts beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
So as part of the current winter project with items too numerous to detail, I changed the serpentine belt on the Z recently. Looking at various sources the recommended belt is 80.5 inches long. Available from various manufacturers and sources. I purchased a Duralast from Autozone. When I started the car afterwards I instantly noticed the tensioner making a rattling noise. Even got squealing when the A/C compressor kicked in. I thought, crap! You do one thing and something else goes wrong. Knowing that tensioners can be rebuilt I looked up the thread here in the forum, bought the parts and rebuilt the tensioner. From the looks of the inside it needed it. Excellent info as always. Here’s the link.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ight=Tensioner

Something in the back of my mind reminded me there was a belt issue as well. I started searching and sure enough. There are several past threads on the matter which seems to come up every few years. Here’s one.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....erpentine+belt

Seems the standard quoted replacement belt length is 80.5 inches. Why, no one knows. The original belt measures 80.1969 inches. Belts are available in 80, 80.2, 80.25 and 80.5 inches. Apparently the much quoted Marc Haibeck recommends 80 inch belt to tighten things up a bit more. So I took his advice and purchased an 80 inch belt Dayco 5060800. After installation I must say there is a significant difference in the tensioner position. I have posted some pictures below.

My take away is this. If you have a weak tensioner, the 80.5 inch belt will show it quickly. The 80 inch belt may save you a tensioner rebuild for at least a while. On a side note there is also an alternator pulley diameter question that plays into this. Apparently replacement alternators have some variation.
H

80.5 inch belt

80.0 inch belt

Good 2 know. Thanks 4 the pix!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018   #3
PhillipsLT5

Great info
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #4
billschroeder5842

Thanks- who would have thought that .5 inch would make that much difference.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #5
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Thanks- who would have thought that .5 inch would make that much difference.
I don't find that so surprising, Bill--After all, someone once said that size matters --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote