ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   368 LT5 Drinking oil (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22071)

LGAFF 01-14-2014 04:32 PM

Re: 368 LT5 Drinking oil

disregard my comment, you said you saw measured loss, not just smoke

GOLDCYLON 01-14-2014 04:33 PM

2 qts in 300 miles Lee, which is why im asking if its leaking out anywhere else as well.

Mitsumark 01-14-2014 04:53 PM

Definitely oil out of the exhaust..There are definitely no external oil leaks..Lee..When you mention the PCV pressurizing the oil pan..How would I check that and what would cause that to happen?As stated,I dont see or feel any pressure coming from the oil cap or dipstick.I took that as a good sign..However shes drinkin oil really quickly..getting so frustrated because this car has been beating me up since Ive got it..Funny thing is it runs through the gears now without any misses for the first time after the recent work I listed before..However I'm putting in more oil than gas now...If I determine that it's a valve problem and not a block issue,,what kind of money am I looking at to have the heads pulled redone and reassembled?Is there anyone near NY/NJ that still works on LT5s? I swear I'm ready to yank this thing and throw a carb'd 396 in this bomb..Don't mind me..I'm just venting:censored:

A26B 01-14-2014 04:53 PM

Read your plugs, look for black & oily, note plug condition for each cylinder.

Run a compression check, analyze for both rings & valves to insure combustion integrity. Although, if you are not noticing blow-by such as vapor blowing from oil fill or dipstick being pushed up. not likely to be rings.

It could be valve stem seals.

In any regard, from your description of raw fuel at startup sure sounds like an injector leaking at minimum.

LGAFF 01-14-2014 05:37 PM

agree with Jerry, go get a compression tester from autozone, rule out rings.....

Wondering if the breather hoses under the plenum could be leaking too...

Dynomite 01-14-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitsumark (Post 193158)
However the car has drank 2 qrts of Mobil 1 in the last 300 miles..It is absolutely oil as the oil light came on

How about oil consumption say the 300 miles before the last 300 miles?
What oil light came on .......Oil Level ?

When you do the compression check....squirt some oil in in spark plug hole after initial compression check and recheck....I think that is what Jerry is suggesting to distinquish between Valves and Rings.

Mitsumark 01-14-2014 05:44 PM

I will do that.. As far as the hoses under the plenum..I just had the plenum off and they looked good..I've also went through 4 bottles of TB cleaner in and around the whole engine while running..Made sure to even spray around the IH bases,Plenum base,and in between all runners..No changes in idle or leaks found..

Dyno- The "low oil" light on the DIC..Confirmed it with an immediate oil check..It was below the cross hatches on the stick.. although it was just running 5 min before.The car shows very high oil pressure on the gauge when cold..Dead center hot..Running Mobil 1 10w40.

Pete 01-14-2014 08:24 PM

Check compression, if your not pushing out the dipstick or fill hole compression should be good.

I think it's in the heads guides/seals, how many miles on the heads/car.

Let us know what you find.
Pete

Mitsumark 01-14-2014 08:44 PM

Pete-Car has 75k..Rebuild has 15k but it has lived on a road racing track and saw 150mph quite often as I have the cars racing circuit history.Ya know Im thinking.Wouldnt a valve problem show smoke on cold startup?Mine starts without smoke and starts to smoke a bit at idle once hot.I also noticed that it does not smoke on decell in gear at high rpm..Only under moderate pedal action and revving it in neutral..Im gonna try to shoot a vid on Thurs after work and I'll post up..I know a compression test is a must but Im driving myself crazy meanwhile..Worse case scenario.If the heads need to be yanked,am I gonna have to drag this thing to Chitown?Can anyone recommend a good LT5 wrench in NY/NJ?..I dont think VDs play with LT5 anymore and ECS only messes with LSX..I dont have the time or resources to attempt a repair like this..

PhillipsLT5 01-14-2014 08:50 PM

I usually wait 24 hr to check oil, you can not get a accurate read immediately