ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cleaning and Waxing (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Underhood and suspension cleanup (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28292)

conesare2seconds 10-02-2017 10:43 AM

Re: Underhood and suspension cleanup

Hi, Jeff. For cleaning I used Super Clean concentrate in a spray bottle mixed 4:1 with distilled water. Super Clean is available premixed or the concentrate is in a gallon jug. The concentrate is very economical.

I sprayed the painted and plastic surfaces with distilled water, then Super Clean mix and agitated the dirt with a boar's bristle brush, followed by a rinse with more distilled water. Some really dirty surfaces got a light scrubbing with a blue non-scratch Scotchbrite pad or a toothbrush. Suspension surfaces were scrubbed with a small wire-bristle brush, followed by a once-over with Mother's Metal Polish.

For a little "pop" after cleaning I used Stoner's Trim Shine from an aerosol can. It's safe for all surfaces and I find it easier to work with than the spray bottle that's also available. Wipe off any excess with a microfiber towel. Trim Shine is water based and doesn't leave sticky residue. The finish isn't high-gloss, it just looks rich and new.

shawn8492 10-02-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conesare2seconds (Post 268467)
Hi Shawn. I'm in Little Rock. Would love to make the Eureka event but could only make it for a few hours Friday due to my work schedule. On the fence about that. Where are you located?

I am just outside of Fort Smith, in Alma. I am going up on Friday if it doesn't rain and spending the night.

Hope to see you there,
Shawn

George45 10-03-2017 11:31 AM

Nowineed toclean my 91. Its only got 12k on it but has some dirt ssccumulation. I suspect its never been cleaned.

Sent from my SM-T817V using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

George45 10-03-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George45 (Post 268544)
Now I need to clean my 91. Its only got 12k on it but has some dirt accumulation. I suspect its never been cleaned.

ZR1North 10-08-2017 09:59 PM

Great effort - great results! Well done.

Crusin 09-08-2018 12:10 PM

You certainly did a lot of work cleaning under the hood and the suspension. The results speak for themselves. Whoever sprayed that plastic coating on it should be whipped for there stupidity.

32valvZ 11-19-2018 12:54 PM

Looks nice so far... Ive done this process on all my C4's...
Suggestion for you: Get yourself a wire brush that will fit into a cordless drill and knock some of the rust off the rotors and spray the hats and the vented area with some hight temp black.... It will look really good in comparison.

Crusin 11-19-2018 02:44 PM

Good suggestions for cleaning under hood and suspension. You did a great job.

Figure8it 12-03-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conesare2seconds (Post 267782)
This represents over 40 hours of cleaning time

Your car is looking fantastic! I've just started the process of cleaning mine and I'm very envious of how nice you've been able to get things. BRAVO! :thumbsup:

conesare2seconds 12-03-2021 09:30 PM

Just do a little at a time. Cleaning is cheap and very rewarding. My latest project is paint correction. I?ve gotten good results with a DA polisher but really need to suck it up and wet sand the panels I haven?t finished.

I agreed with the suggestion about the brake rotors and installed Stoptech rotors this spring with nicely finished black hats, Hawk HPS pads and stainless brake lines.