ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which brand of street tires are you running on (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6437)

Z Factor 09-07-2008 12:52 PM

Which brand of street tires are you running on

In addition to voting in the poll, please expand on the reason you have them on your ZR-1 (performance, cost, wet weather handling, etc.). If you have different size rims please include that in your post.

:cheers:

32valvZ 09-07-2008 01:02 PM

Re: Which brand of street tires are you running on

Sumitomos were on the car when I bought it. I guess theyre ok, but they spin easily wet or dry w/o ASR When they wear out I may go with the BFG's.

RedSled 09-07-2008 01:39 PM

Sumitomos on my black wheels and the Goodyears on my stock rims. Sumitomos were - available, cheap - not afraid to tear them up on the track. I think they've been fine, especially for the price.

Kevin 09-07-2008 01:42 PM

GSD3's. Heard great things about them before I ditched the GSC's that were on it. They hook well, great dry weather traction, amazing wet weather ride and handling.

JThomas 09-07-2008 01:56 PM

Sumitomos, because they were on the car when I bought it. They are okay, but the rears seem smaller than the standard Goodyears.

Hammer 09-07-2008 02:08 PM

Car #458 has Sumitomos on front and Goodyears in back. Sumitomos went on it right after I got it, price of course.

Car #473 has Goodyears all around. When I bought the car, the owner had his tire shop get the tires and they never put them on. They gave them to me for $630 OTD. They are truckers and the tire shop wasn't making anything on the GY's, they make their money on the truck tires.

For the money Sumitomos (at 1/3 the cost of GY's) have my vote though.

Jagdpanzer 09-07-2008 02:14 PM

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s
IMHO the best all around tire for Z's in terms of looks, ride, tread life, noise, wet/dry performance and handling for a reasonable cost.
Though I would like to try a set of Michelin Pilots one day if my ship ever comes in or Ed shows up at the door.

Jeffvette 09-07-2008 02:24 PM

Running BFG KD's on the car. Phenomenal dry handling and decent wet weather. The car gets used with track days & autoX with those tires as well with great results.

Previous sets of rears lasted 6 years. About to replace the fronts as they have gotten a little hard.

After this next set, I will be running the Kumho 700's as I do not like the goodyear tires, refuse to run either the vederstein and sumitomo tires.

rhipsher 09-07-2008 03:07 PM

I had BFG KDWS before and they spun to easily. So when they wore out I gave the Vredesteins a try and have been very impressed with them. They will not break loose easily in wet or dry unless you pop the clutch at 5000rpm's (which of course I have) just to see what it takes to break them loose and sure enough that did it.

FU 09-07-2008 03:20 PM

F1GSD3's on one. F1SC's on the other.

USAFPILOT 09-07-2008 04:03 PM

Still have GSC's on mine...they are 11 years old and I need a new set. I want the GSD3's but am waiting for production...thinking about getting the BFG COMP TA KD tires on the website here...but I'm not sure. I had the GSD3's on a set of 2002 Z06 wheels which were mounted to my LT4 I had prior to the ZR1 and was really happy with those tires. I've had the khumo and sumitumo brands and wont go back...also the previous BFG tires I had were very hard to balance, so I am not convinced that the cheap set on the forum is the way to go either, but maybe, because they did provide great traction. They are 2nd to the F1 GSD3's for me.

ZZZZZR1 09-07-2008 04:45 PM

BFG KD's were on the car when I bought it 5 years ago...

Love them and bought another set (2 actually).

For the money BFG KD's are great, but D3's(& impossible to get) are probably the best tire for the ZR1. Too many people have said how awesome they are, but the GF puts me on a budget bigtime.

bobbyhi 09-07-2008 07:26 PM

I've got D3's on mine. Still have a few thousand miles left so I haven't thought about replacing yet. It will be decision time when it comes:mrgreen:

Ccmano 09-07-2008 07:29 PM

Sumi's here...:thumbsup: and I have to say I'm satisfied with them, for the price. Run well wet, quite, ride and wear well, traction is fair. Price was the only consideration when I bought them. They have 7,000 miles on them now and are wearing well.

I'll switch to Goodyear GS-D3's in the spring if they become available. I want better handling and traction. They also look much better because they are wider.

Hans

1990 quasar blue 09-07-2008 09:23 PM

BFG KD's. I bought these late last fall and didn't think they were that great. However, once the outside temps got above 60, I quickly changed my mind. All I can compare them with are GSC's and Gatorbacks since they"re the only other sets Ive had and It's BFG hands down. My only complaint now is trying to get them to Roadforce under 10. They always seems to have a vibration between 65 and 85.

USAFPILOT 09-07-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1990 quasar blue
They always seems to have a vibration between 65 and 85.

I had the same problem with my BFG's too. I think it will be the GSD3 if I can find some.

flyin ryan 09-07-2008 11:19 PM

all my cars have the factory rubber witch means A: Goodyear &
B: they're hatched:cool:
i'm a Goodyear guy though. for a bunch of reasons. my father in-law ran a Goodyear store for years, a good friend of mine owns his own store (30 seconds from my shop), use nothing but Goodyear Eagle slicks on my ¼ mile car (because they work), they are heavily involved in drag racing, hard to argue about performance, they flat out look good & most importantly they are the O.E.M. manufacturer on our cars. i've been holding out for them to begin production again & thankfully they are:pray . bottom line...it's personal preferance & there's nothing wrong with that:)

Paul Workman 09-08-2008 06:18 AM

GY F1 GS D3s...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Factor
In addition to voting in the poll, please expand on the reason you have them on your ZR-1 (performance, cost, wet weather handling, etc.). If you have different size rims please include that in your post.

I did some research and found some skid pad results. Of the 10 or so leading sport tires tested, these GY F1 GS D3s had the best wet/dry traction combination. The best dry was the BFG KDs, but they really took a back seat on the wet skid pad. Whereas, the GYs pulled only a couple tenths less Gs on the pad dry than the BFGs, but were almost as good on wet as dry - waaaaay better than the BFGs (wet).

They're quiet, and they stick extremely well, I find. I like um!

P.

tomtom72 09-08-2008 06:55 AM

Put me in the GS-D3 camp also....I knew when I bought my car that it had the original rubber still on it after 14.5 yrs....:jawdrop: and the OO was saying how much tread was left on the fronts....the rears were a bit thin...he allowed..:redface:

The D3's are the noisest tire I've ever ridden on, tarmac or cement. They seem to have very stiff sidewalls so they are not a plush ride. They also get caught in the ruts that trucks leave in hot asphalt and you really have to hang on, and oh yea, did I mention they're noisy? Okay so those are my 'cons' about this tire.

My 'pros' are these tires could proly part the red sea! Oh yea I saw the skid pad data at TireRack and decided to try them based upon that data and the customer/user reviews. If wet grip is important to you above all else....Get these tires! I haven't ridden on rain tires this good since my last set of CN36's in VR, a very noisy tire as well .......the D3's send water out the side, not backward, & will leave dry tire lines in moderately wet conditions. On an interstate with about an inch of standing water they will not go numb in a puddle of moderate depth, the wet braking and turn in, and steady state conering loads that they generate are a thing of joy! In the dry, they need lots of heat before they stick like velcro...if you can smell'em inside the car, they're just right....but at that point they are proly wearing like there is no tomorrow but ya can't have everything. My fronts have been on my car since 8200 and I have 33,000 + now and they have not scalloped/feathered with a fair amount enthusiastic driving. Oh, and the fronts still have plenty of meat left, so don't be afraid of the soft wear rating. I may have to throw them out before they actually wear out. Their reaction to steering input is very satisfying as is the dry grip (when hot), be careful when they are cold as they have little grip at that point & slide around easily....but once they get some heat in'em it's fun time. Overall, I have to give kudos to G/Yr, I'm gonna be a repeat buyer, even at the price level of this rubber.

Tom

TommyL 09-08-2008 08:47 AM

BFGs ... only tire available for the Z other then Sumis. I am very happy with the BFG...they look great and handle very good.

I understand they will be available again for our cars as well.

SharkPilot 09-08-2008 01:21 PM

The car had GS-C's on it when I bought it and they are still going strong. All three of my Corvettes have Goodyears. I have always been happy with Goodyear tires so my cars will probably continue to roll on them in the future.

SharkPilot

Sgreg 09-11-2008 10:35 AM

Michelin Pilot Sport. Terrific tire in every way but very expensive. Easily the quietest and smoothest of the brands I have had. Wet, dry traction is great.

ZZ-Top 09-14-2008 02:34 PM

My car had Sumitomos on it when I bought it. I thought they looked odd (smaller in the wheel well) than others. They were not good performers, dry or wet, but the price is cheap enough if you don't mind losing the rear end occasionally.

I did a lot of research before settling on a new set of Vredestein Ultrac's. I've owned and driven many Corvettes with all sorts of tires, but I have never had anything grip this well in both dry and wet conditions. Plus, the odd tread design gets conversations going!

ZR-1Mike 09-14-2008 10:35 PM

BFG KD's were on my car when I bought it three years ago. I shortly needed new rears and the Goodyear D3's weren't available or I'd have bought a set as it was I replaced the rears and will hope for more Goodyear luck next time.

jonszr1 09-15-2008 12:52 AM

i have the goodyear dg3s on both cars and love them . a friend though just put on a set of a new nitto street tires and says he really like them . he paid 760 out the door for them .

bldavis11 09-20-2008 09:06 AM

I purchased the sumitomos in April of this year mostly because of cost. I don't need the performance characteristics of the (much) more expensive tires. Plus I don't drive the care a WHOLE lot, maybe a few thousand miles a year. It just didn't make sense to put on expensive tires that will dry rot off before the tread wears out.

zr1don 10-20-2008 03:24 PM

I bought Sumi's two years ago, about 2,000 mi on them and I'm not dissatisfied (that's knda like backing into an OK). I will probabably try anoter tire brand when I replace them.

Chris_32212 10-20-2008 05:22 PM

i have the GSC's on it which were on it when i bought my car. i want to go with the BFG's next spring.

Chris

vettn71 11-18-2008 06:34 AM

I bought these tires just after I purchased my 90 (1422). 95-style wheels and tires were $1036, mounted, balanced and delivered to my door. Hard to pass up. 9.5" on the fronts and 11" on the rears, So far they seem to run well, but seem to smake a lot in first and second :mrgreen:

Jim

Zr1 Destroyer 11-18-2008 12:33 PM

I ditchin the 345 michelin sports for some new michelin ps2's in a 345 to try and get some traction.......the sports that're on her now are like ice skates!

Jason 91 11-22-2008 12:58 PM

I have the same tires on the car as when I bought it. The previous owner had just put new Goodyears on.

I haven't driven the car as much as I would like for several reasons so they still have plenty of tread.

Thanks,

Jason

95ZR1 02-03-2009 08:32 PM

I've read a lot of things recently about the GSD3 no longer being available for the ZR-1, yet I was playing around on the TireRack web site last night and they say it is in stock for all 4 corners. I don't need tires now, but after thinking these were no longer available, I was thinking I might just buy a set.

Aurora40 02-03-2009 08:46 PM

They were backordered for a while I believe. I don't think Goodyear ever said they were dropping them though.

tomtom72 02-04-2009 08:15 AM

I believe that a coupla of the members had a hooks w/GY and got the corporate line on the subject last yr when the D3's had been out of stock for almost a year.

We have a thread some where here I think where this was discussed. Anyway the short version is that not enough cars are OEM w/the 17" / 35 / 315's so GY runs very few batches of that size and they don't take into account how many drivers use that tire size as an upgrade. I see GY's logic in ignoring the upgrade quantaties. What are they gonna do to quantify that number & add it in to their projections. That's a tough one to calculate, no?

ShawnZR-1 03-13-2009 05:41 PM

I have the Verdesteins. When I needed new tires, nobody had 315's in stock... NOBODY! Steve (Wegone) had put the V's on his car a couple of months prior and I decided to give them a go.

So far, I'm very pleased. Unbelievable traction in the wet and dry cornering is outstanding!! Great price/performance ratio too!

carter200 03-13-2009 08:55 PM

I can't believe I'm the only one with Dunlops :icon_scra I have Sumi's on the front and Dunlop 8000's on the rear. :cheers:

Jeffvette 03-13-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter200 (Post 56583)
I can't believe I'm the only one with Dunlops :icon_scra I have Sumi's on the front and Dunlop 8000's on the rear. :cheers:

I did not think that Dunlop had made the 8000 in a 315 size since the dinosaurs roamed the planet.

carter200 03-13-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffvette (Post 56584)
I did not think that Dunlop had made the 8000 in a 315 size since the dinosaurs roamed the planet.

here tis:
SP SPORT 8000 By DUNLOP

http://www.performanceplustire.com/i...ucts2/2929.jpg
Size: P315/35ZR17
Speed Rating: Z
OD: 25.7
Load Rating: 1433
Side Wall Style: BSW
Manufacturer Part Number:

*Directional tread pattern offers enahanced anti-hydroplaning performance and maximizes dry grip and handling for high performance cars. *Triple tread radius provides increased contact patch area during cornering for greater traction and control. *Twin shift noise reduction for quiet performance sophistication. *Jointless Nylon Band overlay for excellent ride uniformity and contact patch shape. *Steel or Aramid lower sidewall stabilizer for responsive handling and road comfort. *Max Flange Shield rim flange protection feature on 17", 18", 19" and 20" sizes and selected 16" sizes helps protect alloy wheels from curb damage.

PS: I have 335's ;)

Jeffvette 03-13-2009 09:22 PM

Ah, that's right. They don't make the 335 any more. Nor do they make a matching front in either a 275 or 285.

GOLDCYLON 03-13-2009 09:50 PM

Im running BFGs on the rears and trying out some Nexens on the fronts. GC