ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My Billet alt is here and it fits !! pics and input welcome ! (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24374)

5ABI VT 12-09-2014 06:14 PM

My Billet alt is here and it fits !! pics and input welcome !

I went with DC power. They seem to have an impeccable reputation throughout several forums I browsed and read up reviews on. They were also just as good as a few other vendors replying via email but were the only ones that were promising fitment and seemed like were confident it would fit my zr-1. Its a 180 amp. is much more efficient especially when hot. has high quality bearings and will pump out a ton more amperage at idle, and be much more efficient and handle higher rpms vs stock.

I received the alternator today and bolted it up. It does fit, the pulley lines up etc but there were a few things that we discussed that didn't turn up as planned.

First I had asked for black anodizing, and received billet aluminum. May have gotten lost in the multiple emails we exchanged so not too big of a deal as I may take it apart and anodize the front and back casing over the winter. On the other hand I couldn't decide between bare aluminum and black so its not such a bad thing lol.

Second the power bolt is on the side. We had discussed it to exit at the rear. This may or may not have been a mistake or intentional but it was located at 10 o clock (if facing the pulley) so the location should work regardless.

Thirdly the power connector they included for the oval plug has 2 wires while my plug has 3 wires. I emailed them and am waiting for a reply but I figured I'd ask here as im sure someone would know what to do there?

Here are some mockup photos. the top ear seems on the thin side. I may add washers there. the bottom ear included a sleeve and fits almost perfectly. ABout a 1mm gap but my ground wire fits in there perfectly which runs to the battery so I used that there.

Fresh in the box !
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psgybjv9rq.jpg

mocked up in place. Pretty sure the hot wire is in a spot that should work.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psxwpbxuhg.jpg

gap at the outer ear. will shim
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8a16qvi3.jpg it up

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...pszqrzks0d.jpg

oem plug on the right, provided plug on the left. thoughts? what are our 3 wires for ?

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psnumyrudx.jpg

:dancing

KJL 12-09-2014 06:27 PM

Re: My Billet alt is here and it fits !! pics and input welcome !

Very frustrating. I purchased a chrome power master alternator from Summit. Shown to fit the ZR1.......wrong. It has been awhile sense I have done any extensive part replacement type projects. Too bad there isn't more that can be done to stop manufactures from making false statements regarding their products.

GOLDCYLON 12-10-2014 06:20 AM

Well I like it but could or would they just simply completely redone a factory alternator to avoid all these issues. Seems to be close but no cigar. I do like the aggressive finning although. If they just could have mated the aggressive front end with a stock backend... Or maybe they still can with the correct black annodizing you wanted?

5ABI VT 12-10-2014 09:00 AM

These alternators are completely different than stock. They are a call denso hairpin models with a billet front casing to basically retrofit these newer alternators into older cars. From what I've read, the small hairpins basically blow away the factory alternators in every way possible. So using a factory rear is just out of the question really there wouldn't be anything to gain except a billet casing.

So far, the only thing they've gotten wrong is the ear thickness on the outer mount. I'll measure this and send it back to them just in case anyone does order in the future but 1-2 washers will easily make everything snug in there. Besides that I'm not too big of a fan of the spikey fun look and I can easily have it powdercoated or anodized when I want. As for the side post vs rear post, they haven't replied just yet but every denso alt i can google has a side post so maybe it wasn't possible ? Not sure yet there.

The only thing in confused about is the wiring. Anyone know off hand what the 3 factory wires in the harness are for ?

GOLDCYLON 12-10-2014 09:55 AM

Make sense, I actually like the side mounted battery mount. The mount at the rear sucks. Ive packed away my electrical suppliment since Im moving maybe somebody will chime in. I love the billet personally, love the buzzsaw look and im surprised Cliff isnt all over this.... Yet

Dynomite 12-10-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ABI VT (Post 217056)
I went with DC power. Its a 180 amp. What exactly did you ask for in case I want one identical? What Alternator selections did you make on the DC Power Web Site?

I received the alternator today and bolted it up. It does fit, the pulley lines up etc but there were a few things that we discussed that didn't turn up as planned.

First I had asked for black anodizing, and received billet aluminum. I like Billet Aluminum and would ask specifically for Billet.

Second the power bolt is on the side. We had discussed it to exit at the rear. This may or may not have been a mistake or intentional but it was located at 10 o clock (if facing the pulley) so the location should work regardless. I think that is better location like Daryll suggests also.

Thirdly the power connector they included for the oval plug has 2 wires while my plug has 3 wires. I emailed them and am waiting for a reply but I figured I'd ask here as im sure someone would know what to do there? Let us know what exactly to ask for when you get this figured out.

Here are some mockup photos. the top ear seems on the thin side. I may add washers there. the bottom ear included a sleeve and fits almost perfectly. ABout a 1mm gap but my ground wire fits in there perfectly which runs to the battery so I used that there. Looks good...give us a photo when you get the Plenum back in position.

:dancing

Some questions in red......:handshak:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 217073)
Make sense, I actually like the side mounted battery mount. The mount at the rear sucks. Ive packed away my electrical suppliment since Im moving maybe somebody will chime in. I love the billet personally, love the buzzsaw look and im surprised Cliff isnt all over this.... Yet

Cliff IS all over it.....;)
Have not bought one ........yeeeeeeeeet...:D
But thinking :sign10:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psgybjv9rq.jpg

-=Jeff=- 12-10-2014 10:45 AM

here is the wiring of the Alternator.. better to show an image than explain it :)

Sorry this was a quick picture taken late with my phone:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-d..._230719783.jpg

looking at the OEM connector in your picture there are 3 wires on terminals S,F & L

S = RED = direct from Fusible link @ battery
F = (VIN J is BRN, VIN 8 PNK/BLK) Comes form Hot in RUN
L = BRN, this is for the Battery light on the Dash..

There are 3 pins on the Alt side of the new connector, you will need to confirm which is which with them.. Not knowing the module model and exact pin configuration, You will use all 3 pins

S = Sense
L = Lamp
F = Ignition (I think) as I don't believe ours feed into the ECM

-=Jeff=- 12-10-2014 10:53 AM

Oh yeah what was the cost for this Alt? your last post just had a range for cost

GOLDCYLON 12-10-2014 10:56 AM

Yep unpinning the connectors should not be an issue with the pack tools however I dont not know what goes where as we dont know what the alt uses for what. They will need to let you know that as well. When you figure it out and get the plenum back in place please follow up and let us know. GC

5ABI VT 12-10-2014 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies .. Have a few things to do and then I'm going to have some time to look into the wiring and answer all the questions as best I can. Wiring isn't my forte I have to admit I'm pretty clueless at first glance at what I'm looking at. I do have a FSM I was looking for stereo diagrams and couldn't find anything .. I'm guessing that the charging system would be though.

Total cost was $443 usd for the alt. They offer several colors and anodizing too. One thing I learned about doing the wiring upgrade is that making better battery or grounds isn't just for stereos etc. Like modifying the other parts of a car to make them better.. The electrical system from the factory can be much improved apon. Dimming lights, faster power windows, better battery life. Better grounds and amperage keeps the ignition system happy too which really convinced me to go this route. This amp puts out at idle what the stock cs144 will do maximum, and won't even match it when it's hot.

Really happy to hear the side post is favorable. They did put it in the best and only spot I think possible (assuming the case can rotate in 4 positions). To try and answer what I asked for, I sent tons of photos and measurements as best I could to them. Ear to ear seems to be the only one that was important and seems the only thing off is slight thickness of the outer ear. I'm sure for future orders they can make the adjustment . I'll be measuring the gap and post it here as well as email dc about it.

5ABI VT 12-10-2014 11:36 AM

Here is the diagram DC sent me yesterday. They said :

Hello Mike,

Your wiring is simple. You're going to attach the blue plug into the
charging post on the alternator and the yellow will go to L terminal as
shown in the picture here.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...pslxfzp4nb.jpg

Maybe a noob question but how do I add a wire to the plug they included? I'm familiar with removing them and clicking them in position just not sure about waft type of wire/pin to get to add a 3rd (if needed)

WVZR-1 12-11-2014 02:09 AM

Your concern needs to be the pulley alignment. I'd probably find someone with a "laser alignment" device to confirm the install. Anything short of proper alignment of a serpentine belt will create issues. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to source one locally from a quality shop for rental or a borrow maybe.

Regarding the electrical, it's a shame they don't offer an adapter to convert the Denso alternator to the CS144 style connector. There is one available to use the CS144 to replace the Denso which is done frequently. I didn't spot one that will work for you.

Forward them this charging system schematic that I've emailed to you and ask them to explain to you how they would like it connected:

I believe you can stretch, zoom it to suit your needs.

WVZR-1 12-13-2014 08:17 AM

If you haven't cut/spliced the alternator connector I believe I'd maybe consider a conversation with these folks for a harness.

Scroll down to the W3030D and that is correct for the car harness, ask them if they can assemble you a short harness to your requirement. If you need some additional length they can accommodate you. No cut/splice solder and no aggravation. I'm quite surprised knowing the $$$$$'s you paid DC POWER that they didn't accommodate you. It's attention to "detail" that finishes a project and I'd think they came up short.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...-Harnesses.htm

I believe the Denso plug is a 312 but I'm sure these people would understand and you've got you snapshots.

5ABI VT 12-13-2014 09:23 PM

Quality power was among the guys I emailed I honestly don't even remember why I didn't just go with them. In the end I believe my alternator is pretty much exactly like the quality power in that they use the same denso with the billet front cover. The link they sent me did have the options for a back exit post and included the harness. Seems to me quality power are doing the right thing and I do feel they offer the best fitment for plug and play by including the right harness as well as options on the ordering page for rear exit, belt style etc.

I saw your post hours after I had just cut and wired and soldered the new harness with my original :/ plug and play would have been nice but honestly once remembering all the advantages of the newer alternators , I don't think I will ever go back to stock. The original is like a dinosaur in comparison at least in my eyes. Regardless I may order one up and keep it just so the option is there to switch back. Pics to come !

Locobob 12-14-2014 03:55 PM

So what are the advantages of the newer alternators vs. stock?

5ABI VT 12-14-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locobob (Post 217239)
So what are the advantages of the newer alternators vs. stock?

In my opinion.. the oem alternator seems to work fine on these cars. After reading up on the newer alternators.. in a nutshell its more of an evolutionary change. More efficient, less heat, less noise, more output at idle and peak, greater durability etc etc. Is it needed? probably not I guess. :)

Locobob 12-14-2014 10:40 PM

Does higher output always equal more parasitic hp loss or are the newer units just more efficient?

WVZR-1 12-15-2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locobob (Post 217256)
Does higher output always equal more parasitic hp loss or are the newer units just more efficient?

It's generally assumed that most of these units are simply more efficient and supply the amperages needed for advanced electronics at lower RPM points. They're also not generally thought to require any additional HP to provide that power. If you start playing with pulley diameters and alter the ratio vs. crankshaft RPM that of course would change.

5ABI VT 12-15-2014 08:52 AM

My impression on the efficiency is that they are more efficient but they are slightly heavier internally so there is a tiny bit more loss right there. Under load however the older alternator will have much more drag and heat vs the newer ones and the hotter it gets the worse its output which means it has to work even harder.
Ive been aware of high output alternators way back when I did a big stereo in my lt1 car where I had dimming lights and an ewp AND an underdrive pulley. I didn't know that they only produce the amount of amperage required by the accessories or I would have probably tried this a decade ago. With a higher output alternator my fans would run faster, lights would stay brighter and my waterpump would be spinning faster. I think the benefits outweigh straining the electrical system. Its my belief that with a good high output alternator and my upgraded wiring and grounds the system will be much happier and be more reliable long term. WIth 16 injectors and lots of electronics and wallet denting ignition module failures I felt the upgrade was worth it to make sure there was enough juice for everything to function as required.

This is a neat video I liked. Shows that with fans on, headlights on the difference a high output alt can make. The amp theyre comparing to does put out 170 amps which is a ton more than our stocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S83GUurX-no

nice video showing internals. I believe the gm unit there is much beefier than ours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMB2Rrpz9yg

5ABI VT 12-15-2014 11:28 AM

How it looks so far. Did a little touch up work on the alt. rerouted the harness etc so its out of sight. Ill be doing a lot more of that over the winter under the hood :) Top end is progressing finally too.. should be running soon !

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psempkazg9.jpg

Dynomite 12-15-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ABI VT (Post 217268)
How it looks so far. Did a little touch up work on the alt. rerouted the harness etc so its out of sight. Ill be doing a lot more of that over the winter under the hood :) Top end is progressing finally too.. should be running soon !

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psempkazg9.jpg

Interested on how the Plenum fits in regard to the Alternator side Connections.
Also.....you said somewhere you could have gotten a thicker ear on the alternator so as not to have to use shims?
I know you mentioned Alternator Pulley diameter somewhere but to put all in one post, what Alternator Pulley Diameter did you end up with?
I think you also mentioned you went with 180 amps?

Have to study your solutions regarding the Alternator wiring/connections one more time. I assume you ended up using an adapter for the OEM Alternator Connector to fit the Billet Aluminum Alternator? Or you modified the wiring yourself but there are Connector Adapters available like WVZR-1 suggests?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 217167)
If you haven't cut/spliced the alternator connector I believe I'd maybe consider a conversation with these folks for a harness. Scroll down to the W3030D and that is correct for the car harness, ask them if they can assemble you a short harness to your requirement. If you need some additional length they can accommodate you. No cut/splice solder and no aggravation. I'm quite surprised knowing the $$$$$'s you paid DC POWER that they didn't accommodate you. It's attention to "detail" that finishes a project and I'd think they came up short. http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...-Harnesses.htm

I believe the Denso plug is a 312 but I'm sure these people would understand and you've got you snapshots.

Anyway.....you know where I am going with this......I definitely appreciate what you are doing in the LT5 restoration :handshak:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 217073)

Cliff is watching......now studying :sign10:

5ABI VT 12-15-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynomite (Post 217269)
Interested on how the Plenum fits in regard to the Alternator side Connections.
Also.....you said somewhere you could have gotten a thicker ear on the alternator so as not to have to use shims?
I know you mentioned Alternator Pulley diameter somewhere but to put all in one post, what Alternator Pulley Diameter did you end up with?
I think you also mentioned you went with 180 amps?

Have to study your solutions regarding the Alternator wiring/connections one more time. I assume you ended up using an adapter for the OEM Alternator Connector to fit the Billet Aluminum Alternator? Or you modified the wiring yourself but there are Connector Adapters available like WVZR-1 suggests?

Anyway.....you know where I am going with this......I definitely appreciate what you are doing in the LT5 restoration :handshak:

Cliff is watching......now studying

I am hoping to have the plenum on VERY soon. And im fairly certain of that after taking.. oh.. 4 months :neutral: !! I will report back on fitment with lots of photos for sure.

Yes with regards to the shims, SInce the billet covers are custom cut per order Im certain you can specify thickness. I took measurements and can post them here, but if anyone will order in the future you could measure your ears on the factory alternator and send them to the manufacturer. I will be sending my photos and measurements to DC so hopefully they make that change in the future.

ALternator pulley I believe is 2.5" VERY close to stock. DC suggested a smaller pulley but I told them I don't have a pounding system and I don't often even turn it up too much I really just want a better alternator and to have a better functioning charging system. I was told by all manufacturers that the alternators can easily handle more peak rpm than the stock cs144 which a few even had a few not so great things to say about lol. I told DC I have bumped up my idle rpm already, and have a higher limiter set so I felt a 2.5 pulley would work and they agreed.

Someone also mentioned pulley alignment. I stood both alternators on their pulleys and the tabs are in perfect alignment on both ears so I would assume this is a simple way to know if the pulley will be in the correct position. I took pics and can post if needed.

As for wiring, the harness they provided plugs into the new alternator. One wire has a ring terminal already heat shrinked and crimped. This goes to the positive post. the other wire simply needs to be connected to the brown wire on the original harness plug. ALl I did was unpin the gm plug. cut off the pin end. tied it into the wire on the harness and soldered it together. ANother option would be to snip the brown wire, add a butt connector and then if there was a need to switch back it could easily be done by unplugging it etc.

Here are some photos in case I wasn't clear about the wiring.

harness DC provided. Blue has a ring terminal already. yellow I had to strip with a wire stripper...

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psjmviepho.jpg
right before soldering
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psuvmvk3u4.jpg

I added heat shrink and then taped it onto the oem harness. I taped the plug downwards and out of sight so it sits a bit below the alternator and is still there.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...pscoz97af1.jpg

Close up shot of it all.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...pspwt2rcqt.jpg

5ABI VT 12-15-2014 02:10 PM

I forgot to add that yes there is a harness available from quality power. If you buy from them it is an option and the oem plug would plug in and the other end right into the new alternator.

Here is a link quality power sent me. They have the options for the plug, rear or side exit and pulley type etc all there.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...-7.2-Mount.htm

I will say this much. I did ask DC for black and a rear exit. Possibly a good thing as people have pointed out as alternator removal should be easier with the plenum on. I did ask them about why mine didn't have a rear exit in my last few emails and I have not been replied to about it. They have been answering my questions on the harness though but not happy they keep ducking my post question. It is my opinion they are seeing it lol. ANother thing to add is all the manufacturers offered to reduce value or ship in a way that it could save me some taxes etc. For me its a big deal usually because we get bent over on brokerage fees. I can respect them not wanting to in case of loss or damage as it would only be insured for the amount listed. I did end up paying another $80 at the door to receive the unit which always sucks. I chose to go with them as they have a great rep online from everything I researched.

alwayscode390 12-23-2014 02:30 PM

$450 for a 180 amp alternator that needs modification to install ... YUCK!

It does look sweet though :) ---