ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New to corvettes. (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27744)

JasonWal 04-19-2017 10:39 PM

New to corvettes.

So I bought a corvette. Very recently. It's a 1990 zr1 with 62,000 miles on it, it's in excellent condition, runs with zero problems, I got it for the jaw dropping price of $3,000, and honestly that's about all I know. One other thing I know is that I've never been a big car guy... that is, until I put the gas pedal down on this car. I'm hooked and before I go blowing all kinds of money on it(I'm 25yrs old, not a whole lot of money to blow) I want to game plan the engine mods and upgrades just perfect in my head before I make a single move.

Vision: A fun, fast weekend car. Not drag racing for sub 10's but still get the admirable head nod at track. I also love the cammed out sound.

Any words of wisdom from those more experienced, I'd be more than grateful for your input, advice or thoughts. Thanks in advance!

G8nightman 04-19-2017 10:57 PM

Re: New to corvettes.

3000 bucks how did that happen?

ghlkal 04-19-2017 11:10 PM

Yeah, we got to hear the story ... and see some pics :)

USAFPILOT 04-19-2017 11:17 PM

You sure an LT5 is in that thing?

edram454 04-19-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonWal (Post 260734)
So I bought a corvette. Very recently. It's a 1990 zr1 with 62,000 miles on it, it's in excellent condition, runs with zero problems, I got it for the jaw dropping price of $3,000, and honestly that's about all I know. One other thing I know is that I've never been a big car guy... that is, until I put the gas pedal down on this car. I'm hooked and before I go blowing all kinds of money on it(I'm 25yrs old, not a whole lot of money to blow) I want to game plan the engine mods and upgrades just perfect in my head before I make a single move.

Vision: A fun, fast weekend car. Not drag racing for sub 10's but still get the admirable head nod at track. I also love the cammed out sound.

Any words of wisdom from those more experienced, I'd be more than grateful for your input, advice or thoughts. Thanks in advance!

WOW! A new low!!

edram454 04-19-2017 11:27 PM

upgrades?? on a budget?? buy a 572 big block chevy and put that in the engine bay. It would be way cheaper than to mod that lt5. this car is an exotic sophisticated car. It is like fine wine. It is to be sipped and enjoyed and occasionally tested. Modding this car is very, very expensive,,cams etc... remember 572 inch with 400 horse fogger nitrous system. that is cheaper speed and lots of it.

JasonWal 04-19-2017 11:41 PM

So the guy had recently bought a 1992 corvette..
his wife was making him sell it and when I met with him in person to see the car, how well he kept it.. I was stunned and after checking the frame and engine, paid said $3000.
Downside: the right side has minor damage. He slid into a speed limit sign and there's a small 5 inch hole on what would be the front right fender, as well as an identical hole in the front part of the right door near the bottom. Everything else is pristine. I'll have to post pictures tomorrow afternoon but I still can't believe my luck on this find..!

JasonWal 04-19-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edram454 (Post 260743)
upgrades?? on a budget?? buy a 572 big block chevy and put that in the engine bay. It would be way cheaper than to mod that lt5. this car is an exotic sophisticated car. It is like fine wine. It is to be sipped and enjoyed and occasionally tested. Modding this car is very, very expensive,,cams etc... remember 572 inch with 400 horse fogger nitrous system. that is cheaper speed and lots of it.

I'm really not sure exactly what's already upgraded, and budget is really whatever I save up per month. Anywhere between $1,000 and $2,000 depending on how much I'm putting toward debt. It's also not my daily driver(in case anyone was wondering).

93RubyZ 04-19-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT (Post 260738)
You sure an LT5 is in that thing?

For $3k, I'm also concerned that you ended up with a regular Corvette with ZR-1 badges added on. If it is legit, then you got an incredible deal even with the damages mentioned. Post pictures and we'll let you know what you got.

ssrszz4 04-20-2017 01:02 AM

When I bought mine for 11800 the person I bought it from told me a local wrecking yard had offered him 11000. These cars have a lot of value in parts as we all know.

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

G8nightman 04-20-2017 06:35 AM

Are you sure it's not salvaged title?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

JasonWal 04-20-2017 08:00 AM

So.. after further research, I found that the vin of a non zr1 starts with 1G1YY. A zr1 starts with 1G1YZ

Mine is not a zr1.

I appreciate you guys bringing this to my attention, I guess all that's left is.. now what? Should I engine swap to the 572 chevy big block like was mentioned above??

Vette73 04-20-2017 08:10 AM

Hmm....Sounded a little too good to be true....Anyway,make sure the car is fundamentally safe meaning,check brakes,tires,cooling system, fluids etc etc....Do the body work than you can add bolt ons ( headers,Heads and cam ) if you choose ...When done you should have basically what your looking for....

A 572 sounds tempting but with a motor of that power you have to make sure the rear and tranny can support that much torque....Weight I'm guessing is also a factor with that big block so a beefed up front suspension may be in order..

We Gone 04-20-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonWal (Post 260756)
So.. after further research, I found that the vin of a non zr1 starts with 1G1YY. A zr1 starts with 1G1YZ

Mine is not a zr1.

I appreciate you guys bringing this to my attention, I guess all that's left is.. now what? Should I engine swap to the 572 chevy big block like was mentioned above??

One look under the hood and you would have known. Still sounds like a good deal. Have fun and enjoy.

JasonWal 04-20-2017 08:19 AM

You make a really good point. A few really good points.
And honestly, I don't need 700+ hp. 400 will do me just fine with all the mods I end up doing.

As disappointed as I am that it's not a zr1, it's at least relieving to know where I stand for sure and where I can go with it. I never wanted a drag strip car, just a fun weekend car.

Again I appreciate all the straight forward support you all offered.

DRM500RUBYZR-1 04-20-2017 09:17 AM

Best of luck and ENJOY your new car!
:cheers:
Marty

WARP TEN 04-20-2017 09:23 AM

I certainly hope it is a real ZR-1, although at $3k that is a good price for a regular C4. Some pictures of the car and engine would be a big help and then the good folks here can provide some guidance. --Bob

USAFPILOT 04-20-2017 10:02 AM

LSX!

Paul Workman 04-20-2017 10:15 AM

Back when I had my 95 LT1 Vette, I spoke with Lloyd Elliot about porting and cam work. The porting and a Chevy "Hot Cam" was a formula he had put together, and with long tube headers claimed 425 HP was "the package".

The price tag, if I recall, was in the $2500 range. If not mistaken, the Hot Cam has a 9º LSA which will give it a bit of a lope, and still be able to run the A/C in traffic! That said, lots of "LSx" swaps are being done on these cars. Lots of guys here can talk from experience - just ask um!

The body of the Corvette is fiberglass with a special resin - aka "SMC". Repairing the damage can be done in a good body shop - familiar with Corvettes (and SMC). OR, you can talk to someone from auto body supply store (supplier of the "stuff" collision repair shops use: e.g., Arnie's Auto Body Supply, Inc 815-726-6106 can answer all your questions and make good recommendations regarding restoring your panels).

After you fix the body, then chances are you're going to need to paint it...ALL of it. $10k is not out of line for a complete 'turn-key' paint job, minus the labor you do yourself. If you do the labor, the out of pocket for materials (body repair stuff + paint) may come close to $2500.

The car cost you $3000, and with a turn-key, including body repairs and painting, you'll have in the neighborhood of $13,000-$15,000 invested. This is why "minor" body damage results in insurance companies totaling these cars: $9500 will get you a very nice car.

So, I hope you can do most of the work yourself. Speaking from experience, having crumpled the nose and hood of my ZR-1, I and a friend (mostly Brett, my friend), replacing those parts and then prepping the car for the paint shop, the "butcher's bill" came in approx. $5500; would have been another $2k if I'd opted to change the color to something else [door jams, etc].

I hope you DO opt to do the work yourself. The education you gain will be priceless - to the point of even making you some $$$ on the side, or a career even!

Best of luck. I've been there, done that (restoration) projects at your age, and the knowledge has served me well for 45 years now! (45 years...SHEESH!:jawdrop:)

PS: You're welcome to be here - the ZR-1 Registry site. You'll learn a lot about these special C4s. And, as for what happens when you "put your foot in it", that LT1 experience will feel like a "hot water 6 cylinder" compared to the LT5...leave alone a fully ported LT5! However, you might want to also link to the Corvette Forum's base C4 section for info on the LSx swaps - Good luck!

JasonWal 04-21-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 260768)
Back when I had my 95 LT1 Vette, I spoke with Lloyd Elliot about porting and cam work. The porting and a Chevy "Hot Cam" was a formula he had put together, and with long tube headers claimed 425 HP was "the package".

The price tag, if I recall, was in the $2500 range. If not mistaken, the Hot Cam has a 9º LSA which will give it a bit of a lope, and still be able to run the A/C in traffic! That said, lots of "LSx" swaps are being done on these cars. Lots of guys here can talk from experience - just ask um!

The body of the Corvette is fiberglass with a special resin - aka "SMC". Repairing the damage can be done in a good body shop - familiar with Corvettes (and SMC). OR, you can talk to someone from auto body supply store (supplier of the "stuff" collision repair shops use: e.g., Arnie's Auto Body Supply, Inc 815-726-6106 can answer all your questions and make good recommendations regarding restoring your panels).

After you fix the body, then chances are you're going to need to paint it...ALL of it. $10k is not out of line for a complete 'turn-key' paint job, minus the labor you do yourself. If you do the labor, the out of pocket for materials (body repair stuff + paint) may come close to $2500.

The car cost you $3000, and with a turn-key, including body repairs and painting, you'll have in the neighborhood of $13,000-$15,000 invested. This is why "minor" body damage results in insurance companies totaling these cars: $9500 will get you a very nice car.

So, I hope you can do most of the work yourself. Speaking from experience, having crumpled the nose and hood of my ZR-1, I and a friend (mostly Brett, my friend), replacing those parts and then prepping the car for the paint shop, the "butcher's bill" came in approx. $5500; would have been another $2k if I'd opted to change the color to something else [door jams, etc].

I hope you DO opt to do the work yourself. The education you gain will be priceless - to the point of even making you some $$$ on the side, or a career even!

Best of luck. I've been there, done that (restoration) projects at your age, and the knowledge has served me well for 45 years now! (45 years...SHEESH!:jawdrop:)

PS: You're welcome to be here - the ZR-1 Registry site. You'll learn a lot about these special C4s. And, as for what happens when you "put your foot in it", that LT1 experience will feel like a "hot water 6 cylinder" compared to the LT5...leave alone a fully ported LT5! However, you might want to also link to the Corvette Forum's base C4 section for info on the LSx swaps - Good luck!

The first dawnings of realization have finally hit me as to just how much time/work/money/blood/sweat will be required as a sacrifice towards making this car truly great. It's a daunting task for a grunt in the army, anywhere between 10-25 grand... but it's a matter of pride at this point. And like I've always been told, we're only as good as the challenges we overcome.
Challenge accepted.

And also I see why you're all such die hard gear heads. Much respect. And thanks in advance for all help provided.

Racinfan83 04-21-2017 10:02 AM

Look at it this way. It's not your daily driver. So if it sits in a pile of parts waiting for you to have time/$ to get it fixed the way you want it - then it isn't hurting anyone as long as you get it back running within a decent time frame. My Z sits in the garage in running condition covered and on a battery tender 99% of the time. Because I don't have time to do anything with it - even drive it. I have a full time job, wife has a full time job opposite of mine + a part time business owner/operator job, and taking care of my house/vehicles/volunteer work with animal rescue etc is basically another full time job. So don't sweat it. You got a decent price, and I've heard that some military bases have "hobby shops" where you and your buddies can work on cars? Just have fun with it and learn while doing. Personally I would focus on a light/medium hp mod/refresh of the current engine and go from there...
Thanks for your service! :proud: