ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   First car show and just huh....... (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26523)

rush91 05-29-2016 07:10 PM

First car show and just huh.......

1 Attachment(s)
So I par took in my first ever car show today.....extremely hot day, around 95 degrees according to my Beast. Of course there was a bevy of new Mustangs, old ones too. Lots of trucks, a few bikes and a lot of 60s,70s muscle. And a lot of Trans Ams, but not many really nice ones. Any who I was one of only 4 Corvettes out of maybe 100 cars. There was me, a 1967 coupe with a 350, a 1982 Collectors edition and a 2010 Grand Sport......top 50 cars got trophy, along with Best in Show etc......I don't mean to be a jerk or stuck up or to come off that way. I had a great time and a lot of folks took pics of my ZR-1 and said its the 1st one they have ever seen. That was cool. But how can all the Vettes but mine get a trophy??? I'm sorry but the '82 was rough, and well rough....just scratching my head and kicking myself of not taking pics of some of the so called "top 50". Oh well, on another note, for being as hot as it was, my car ran incredible! Fans on at about 220ish, and stayed there sitting in traffic. I was happy about that, didnt run hot at all can't wait to get That Haibeck chip...

A26B 05-29-2016 07:49 PM

Re: First car show and just huh.......

Were the top 50 pick by popular vote of attendees? If so, you have your answer.

MuRCieLaGo 05-29-2016 08:06 PM

Our ZR-1s aren't a treat for the eyes. You got to know what's a ZR-1 to love a ZR-1.

That's my opinion.

ghlkal 05-29-2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rush91 (Post 242915)
But how can all the Vettes but mine get a trophy???

I agree. I'm sure you had had the hood up ... didn't they look at the LT5 ??!

Paul Workman 05-29-2016 11:26 PM

Exactly...

Last year a group of us 'FBI'ers attended a Corvette gathering at the Route 66 Autobahn with our ZR-1s. Robert DeMarco had his stunning Calloway ZR-1 there too. None of is were recognized either: not one trophy for anything in C4 class!

Well...I chalk it up to the ignorance fostered and nurtured by GM from the git-go where it comes to the Lotus/Mercury Marine ZR-1. F'gum. We know what we have, and now and then one of them gets a lesson in Corvette history!

Performawheels 05-30-2016 10:03 AM

We took our Z to the Plastic Fantastic All Corvette show in San Diego a few weeks ago....lots of different Corvette clubs were there, and my take was that the club members support each other, and since registered attendees did the voting, they had a decided advantage in picking the winners for each class....just the way it goes. :salute:

cvette98pacecar 05-30-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 242924)
Exactly...

Last year a group of us 'FBI'ers attended a Corvette gathering at the Route 66 Autobahn with out ZR-1s. Robert DeMarco had his stunning Calloway ZR-1 there too. None of is were recognized either: not one trophy for anything in C4 class!

Well...I chalk it up to the ignorance fostered and nurtured by GM from the git-go where it comes to the Lotus/Mercury Marine ZR-1. F'gum. We know what we have, and now and then one of them gets a lesson in Corvette history!

It was funny, Paul red 90 and my 91 Aerobody were put into the heavily modified class. I think the only thing on paul car that is not stock appearing is the exhaust tips.
How can you judge what you are looking at if you do not know what it is.

Birddogtwo 05-30-2016 10:40 AM

Guys,
I feel your pain, while I don't drive a ZR1 just a muggle (96 CE) I would agree that people don't understand the ZR!. I have to confess I was perfectly happy with my stock LT4 until I ran with the bad boys on Mountain Run 4. I didn't really understand what special cars the ZR1s are. And I consider myself a Vette guy.
Any C4 including Zs or maybe especially Zs are underrated, under valued and misunderstood. . I would suggest you get story boards that not only have pictures but give a little history of the cars. At car shows, people are always fascinated with a little information. In a popular vote I think that would help be remembered.
Yesterday I was in a Corvettes only car show and due to the questionable weather only 1/2 as many of the usual 300 cars were judged. I had a build sheet and the brochure for my car on the dash. I was amazed at the number of people who walked by then stopped and read the information then walked around the car looking at it.
And really, I'm sure that on your way home from any Corvette event when you get on it a little bit it still gives you that uneraseable grin trophy or not.
Save the wave!
Dave

dredgeguy 05-30-2016 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Performawheels (Post 242939)
We took our Z to the Plastic Fantastic All Corvette show in San Diego a few weeks ago....lots of different Corvette clubs were there, and my take was that the club members support each other, and since registered attendees did the voting, they had a decided advantage in picking the winners for each class....just the way it goes. :salute:

100% agree. The club members vote for each other and if you are not with their group, no chance.

Vette73 05-30-2016 11:38 AM

I live up in the northeast and every Sunday year round you get a pretty big turn out by Jones beach.....Its a nice ride out there and most of the ride you drive on two unobstructed lanes each governed by water....

I was out there this past Sunday and many people except for " car guys" don't know about the ZR-1......You hear phrases like- I didn't know the wheels were that wide or what's that little key near the shifter?

A lot are very impressed with the look of the motor whether you know cars or not...One person who really liked the car showed me pictures of his 90 Callaway with custom interior, it even made Vette magazine years ago...

He stated something very true, the LT-5 is only specific in the ZR-1 meaning it was a combination of two companies coming together for one specific purpose and your not going to find an engine like that in any other car..

As he drove away in his Lamborghini Diablo I said- hey you wanna trade? He looked at me and said - you'll be sorry one day..So there are car people who will give the ZR1 it's due.

Needless to say he did not trade with me but knew a lot about the ZR1 and gave it, it's due..

ZRapid-1 05-30-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birddogtwo (Post 242942)
Guys,
I feel your pain, while I don't drive a ZR1 just a muggle (96 CE) I would agree that people don't understand the ZR!. I have to confess I was perfectly happy with my stock LT4 until I ran with the bad boys on Mountain Run 4. I didn't really understand what special cars the ZR1s are. And I consider myself a Vette guy.
Any C4 including Zs or maybe especially Zs are underrated, under valued and misunderstood. . I would suggest you get story boards that not only have pictures but give a little history of the cars. At car shows, people are always fascinated with a little information. In a popular vote I think that would help be remembered.
Yesterday I was in a Corvettes only car show and due to the questionable weather only 1/2 as many of the usual 300 cars were judged. I had a build sheet and the brochure for my car on the dash. I was amazed at the number of people who walked by then stopped and read the information then walked around the car looking at it.
And really, I'm sure that on your way home from any Corvette event when you get on it a little bit it still gives you that uneraseable grin trophy or not.
Save the wave!
Dave

I agree with the above comments.
If you had a poster with the ZR-1's records and performance stats, that would help explain the significance of what they're looking at.

People would also be surprised to find out how much the ZR-1 option originally cost.

Mystic ZR-1 05-30-2016 03:19 PM

Welcome to the world of the "Redheaded Stepchild"!
I've been to Corvette shows and been told by
the "experts", aka: poseurs, that "that motor doesn't belong
in that car". Unfortunately, most people think it's just another C4.
Their loss...
definition: expert - a drip under pressure
😄

carter200 05-30-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

I don't mean to be a jerk or stuck up or to come off that way. I had a great time and a lot of folks took pics of my ZR-1 and said its the 1st one they have ever seen. That was cool. But how can all the Vettes but mine get a trophy???

I see NO Carter Bling on your car so that is a major factor right there....

efnfast 05-30-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter200 (Post 242961)

True dat Carter:cheers:

G-Sting 05-30-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

So I par took in my first ever car show today.....extremely hot day, around 95 degrees according to my Beast. Of course there was a bevy of new Mustangs, old ones too. Lots of trucks, a few bikes and a lot of 60s,70s muscle. And a lot of Trans Ams, but not many really nice ones. Any who I was one of only 4 Corvettes out of maybe 100 cars. There was me, a 1967 coupe with a 350, a 1982 Collectors edition and a 2010 Grand Sport......top 50 cars got trophy, along with Best in Show etc......I don't mean to be a jerk or stuck up or to come off that way. I had a great time and a lot of folks took pics of my ZR-1 and said its the 1st one they have ever seen. That was cool. But how can all the Vettes but mine get a trophy??? I'm sorry but the '82 was rough, and well rough....just scratching my head and kicking myself of not taking pics of some of the so called "top 50". Oh well, on another note, for being as hot as it was, my car ran incredible! Fans on at about 220ish, and stayed there sitting in traffic. I was happy about that, didnt run hot at all can't wait to get That Haibeck chip...

Congrats on prepping and taking your ZR to a show. It's a LOT of work to detail a car for one. Yours looks great. Sorry yours didn't take 'official' recognition.

I spent almost an embarrassing amount of time buffing and waxing the exterior of mine this week for a show yesterday… and cleaning both the interior and engine bay. No worries - Didn't' win anything either, but I was proud to show it.

Lots of cars at this show - from old to modern and everything in between. (My guess 200 - 250). Seems like there were a number of people who came over to see it… though I was walking around looking at other cars, talking with their owners, for the most part. There was a line of Vettes in one area - mostly C6s and 7s. Beautiful ones, no doubt.

The highlight of my day though, was about 4 hours into the show I was standing on the side talking to a guy who had just bought a '65 Mustang. Just then, three 17-year-old (ish) boys bee-lined over to the Z and stared at the engine bay. I could see by their expression, it was a delight. They were enamored by it, chatting away. Love it when the young folks find interest in it.

BTW, I do put a simple, but nicely printed paper dash "plaque" in the window on the driver's side dash. It says:

1994 Corvette ZR-1
LT5 - 350 V8 Engine - 405 h.p.
20xxx miles, nearly all original.
+++++
In 1990, the ZR-1 set a new 24-hour speed record, averaging 175.8+ mph for 24 hours.
The ONLY production vehicle ever to do this.
This record stood for 11.5 years.

rush91 05-30-2016 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A26B (Post 242916)
Were the top 50 pick by popular vote of attendees? If so, you have your answer.

No, it was two guys that walked around....a father and son I believe. After thinking it over, I feel bad for sounding bitter over a stupid trophy. We who own these Beast know what they are and how special they are....In no way does it take away my love and extreme passion for our ZR-1's. Sorry everyone if my original post came off as arrogant. And for knocking other Corvettes....

ghlkal 05-30-2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birddogtwo (Post 242942)
Guys,
I would suggest you get story boards that not only have pictures but give a little history of the cars. At car shows, people are always fascinated with a little information.

Yes, I agree. I have info on poster boards that I prop in the windshield.

I guess I should get one of those fancy sign holders ... ;)

rush91 05-30-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghlkal (Post 242922)
I agree. I'm sure you had had the hood up ... didn't they look at the LT5 ??!

Hood was up the whole time. Had it looking just amazing.....I printed up a sheet that read, One of 76 ever made in Polo green Metallic and Saddle interior...one of 2044 1991's and one of 6939 Ever. Then listed the record run numbers and world records. People would stop and read it, also have original window sticker up on windshield as well. People would walk by thinking it was standard Vette, then see the engine, and then point out the Valet key to who they were with lol.....It was cool. But I think I had a bad spot behind everyone, hell I don't know why I did at least get atop 50 after seeing some that did.

rush91 05-30-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Sting (Post 242968)
Congrats on prepping and taking your ZR to a show. It's a LOT of work to detail a car for one. Yours looks great. Sorry yours didn't take 'official' recognition.

I spent almost an embarrassing amount of time buffing and waxing the exterior of mine this week for a show yesterday… and cleaning both the interior and engine bay. No worries - Didn't' win anything either, but I was proud to show it.

Lots of cars at this show - from old to modern and everything in between. (My guess 200 - 250). Seems like there were a number of people who came over to see it… though I was walking around looking at other cars, talking with their owners, for the most part. There was a line of Vettes in one area - mostly C6s and 7s. Beautiful ones, no doubt.

The highlight of my day though, was about 4 hours into the show I was standing on the side talking to a guy who had just bought a '65 Mustang. Just then, three 17-year-old (ish) boys bee-lined over to the Z and stared at the engine bay. I could see by their expression, it was a delight. They were enamored by it, chatting away. Love it when the young folks find interest in it.

BTW, I do put a simple, but nicely printed paper dash "plaque" in the window on the driver's side dash. It says:

1994 Corvette ZR-1
LT5 - 350 V8 Engine - 405 h.p.
20xxx miles, nearly all original.
+++++
In 1990, the ZR-1 set a new 24-hour speed record, averaging 175.8+ mph for 24 hours.
The ONLY production vehicle ever to do this.
This record stood for 11.5 years.

Thanks for the understanding....All the work put in detailing and cleaning. Guess I just wanted to shout " Hey this is a real ZR-1!!! Its rare and badass folks" But I'm sure most of you have been there, so thanks for all the great replies. If they only knew how incredible this registry is......And it funny you mention the young kids. I had more than one kid, I'd say not one over 8, would stop and say ooooh Mom check it out!!! And take a pic stand next to it, thumbs up :) Happened a lot as you said with the real young kids, it was cool...

rush91 05-30-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter200 (Post 242961)

A remedy that must be addressed, so agreed :-D

carter200 05-31-2016 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rush91 (Post 242979)
A remedy that must be addressed, so agreed :-D

You did NOT sound arrogant and I feel your disappointment. When you are ready for some added goodies give me a shout.

Racinfan83 05-31-2016 07:13 AM

I hope I don't come off as arrogant the other way - those that know me know I'm not like that. But I show mine in Corvette only shows exclusively - and I have won class in like 7 out of 9 shows, and a couple of em had C4 and C5 together in one class. Around here most shows use impartial judging. One show I went to first year used participation judging and of course their local club slug won over mine even though mine was FAR better. Guess what - when they invited me back the next year I asked if it was going to be a judged show or participation judging again. He said participation and I told him that whenever they decided to do it in a non-biased way - THEN maybe I would come back.
I have a small printed sign explaining what the car is - but I've found most Vette people know what it is and are kinda incredulous. I went to a couple regional shows last year - won one and placed 3rd in one that was judged by actual workers at BG Corvette plant. 3rd but scored 96 out of 100. My point here is that some shows you are just gonna be screwed. Especially ones with everyone welcome. I don't waste my time with those. This year I am looking at doing only 2 regional shows, one in Iowa and one in Kentucky. Won all the local shows at least once - don't have time to clean the car just to win them all again. I figure I will now go to regionals only and see how I stack up. Shows are cool - but LOTS of politics. I don't have time to do much with the Z other then showing it - so that's how I choose to spend my time with her... :cheers:

rush91 05-31-2016 12:28 PM

It seemed to be a little political.....The guy who judged and announced the "top 50" seemed to know everyone who came to get a trophy. And a group of 2010 and above Mustangs, all won. They drove up from Kentucky or some crap. The only one I thought deserved anything was a really sweet looking Boss 302.
When I pulled into the show, had to cruise by all the other cars, and everyone was like hey it's a ZR-1, and the Vette guys knew what it was. But damn, I'm sorry....The 1982 Collectors Edition that won was in bad shape. Motor dirty as hell, leather all dried and cracked and faded. I was just scratching my head as results were read. I have another show on Friday night, I will take more pics of that show.

We Gone 05-31-2016 12:35 PM

I never go to a show thinking I will place. I just go to admire the other cars and meet new people who also are motor heads. ;)

rhipsher 05-31-2016 12:54 PM

When you get your first ZR-1 it's exciting. And you want to show it off. Maybe join a Corvette club. Go to car shows. But what you will soon realize is that most people just don't know what it is. I have gotten a lot of attention in mine but I think the only reason is because of the 49th street rockers it has. They give the car a meaner stance than the stock ones do. And that seems to catch peoples eye.

Racinfan83 05-31-2016 01:32 PM

And I'm the opposite. I go expecting to be good enough to win. And I work my butt off for hours in the days before the show - and again for a couple hours after I get to the show to make sure the car is the best I can get it. That said - the guy who won in KY last year had his underside cleaned, and had jacked the car up took 2 wheels off and had mirrors under it. I haven't had time for that yet. So yes he beat me fair and square. And I can live with that....

BigJohn 05-31-2016 06:21 PM

It is hard to beat the butt buddies; they win first!

-=Jeff=- 05-31-2016 10:01 PM

I go to shows to check out all the other cool rides i wish I could own

Don't care if I win a piece of Plastic.. honestly

Kevin 05-31-2016 10:12 PM

I don't even bother going to shows anymore, I'd rather just drive my car and enjoy it. Carlise is the only show I go to and that's just to see you crazy lot

Vetman 06-01-2016 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm gong to take my z to an all corvette show and dinner at the Chevrolet dealer Saturday June 10. This is a display board I put on the windshield at shows and usually generates a number of comments. If you would like the text on the board email me at seamonsj@gmail.com and I will send it to you attached.
Attachment 5299

steve1263 06-02-2016 02:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I belong to the Stuart Corvette Club here in Florida. Each year the club has a show and in each of the last three years my '91 has placed in the top 15 SCC member cars which are voted on by only the non member participants. Non SCC club member cars are judged in a separate category by a team of SCC member judges. This is the show poster I put together and display at each show so everyone knows exactly what they are looking at and of course the hood is always open.

Racinfan83 06-02-2016 06:55 AM

^^^ I LOVE the poster you have!
And yes that is how most shows here are - the club that puts on the show judges all the non member cars separately. The non members judge the local club cars. Which is pretty fair. I have been a judge myself - we have an actual NCCC judging sheet we go off of so that everything gets looked at on every car. Cleanliness is the main thing. We have had cars that were so nice they tied - and then we go look at things like inside fuel door etc. Not cleaning that could mean difference between 1st and 2nd. I am always in stock class. Most shows here allow up to 3 modifications before kicking you in with the Modified class. Of course what they can't see they don't need to know about either.

rush91 06-02-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vetman (Post 243034)
I'm gong to take my z to an all corvette show and dinner at the Chevrolet dealer Saturday June 10. This is a display board I put on the windshield at shows and usually generates a number of comments. If you would like the text on the board email me at seamonsj@gmail.com and I will send it to you attached.
Attachment 5299

Thanks! I wanted to make something like that, instead just printed up a sheet to tape on my window....I'll get a break here at work today hopefully and email you on this.....Thanks again.

Vette73 06-02-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve1263 (Post 243097)
I belong to the Stuart Corvette Club here in Florida. Each year the club has a show and in each of the last three years my '91 has placed in the top 15 SCC member cars which are voted on by only the non member participants. Non SCC club member cars are judged in a separate category by a team of SCC member judges. This is the show poster I put together and display at each show so everyone knows exactly what they are looking at and of course the hood is always open.

Nice look with the rims....What size rims are those? you have the specs?

steve1263 06-02-2016 03:51 PM

The wheels are American Torque Thrusts 17X11 36 offset rear and 17X9.5 54 offset front, the same as the stock sawblades

efnfast 06-02-2016 07:17 PM

I still have some of these
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ht=show+poster

Riviera 06-09-2016 03:06 PM

When Tripler and I got our 95 Polo Green in April of this year we decided No Judged Car Shows. We've been to enough of them with his 1975 Kawasaki Triple which is stock gorgeous to know that it's whoever has the most friends with them who wins. Our car is only going into one non judged show this year at the Vintage Air Museum in Hamilton, Ontario and we are doing this 'cause with a $5 dollar donation we can get her picture taken beside some pretty cool aircraft including a Lancaster Bomber.

carter200 06-09-2016 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=Riviera;243481 We've been to enough of them with his 1975 Kawasaki Triple which is stock gorgeous to know that it's whoever has the most friends with them who wins.[/QUOTE]

Is it the 500 or 750 model? The H1 was very fast but the H2 was in it's own world...........

Riviera 06-09-2016 06:37 PM

It is the 500. Tripler bought it new in 1975. It spent several years languishing in his Mum's barn. In 2010 he started a ground up restoration. Other than having the original tank repainted and the frame powder coated he did all the other work himself including putting the entire frame in a discarded bathtub and using a amazing product called Evaporust. It is gorgeous and "goes like stink".