ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-31-2021   #1
Matt B

Default Backup light / 1-4 issue

One my bumpy road to get my Z road legal there is one last open issue - as far as I can oversee at the moment. My backup lights don't work. Neither does the 1-4 upshift function - which seems to be an advantage but may indicate a "deeper" issue...
Here's my analysis results:

- Connector 237, R/H under dash, blue wire on pin "N": being the power source for B/U and 1-4 it reads 12.8V with ignition on
- Connector 239, R/H under dash, light green wire on pin "D", coming from the B/U switch: the incoming wire should read around 12V with ignition on and reverse gear engage but doesn't. Reading is 0. Outgoing side proves grounded via the backup bulbs as expected.
- To verify that there is no issue around splice S118 (which I couldn't locate) I tested voltage at 1-4 upshift solenoid connector. With ignition on but engine off it reads about 10V green/white wire vs. black wire as well as versus ground. So the dark blue wire routing current into the upshift relay (same as routes current to the backup light switch) must be hot as expected.
- bridging the C237 N and 239 D (and thereby simulating a closed B/U switch) turns on the backup light as it should

So, to me it seems very obvious that the backup light switch has an issue, however I didn't find a way to pull it with the tranny in place.
What concerns me is that the 1-4 upshift is inactive, too though there is voltage applied. I.e. I can shift through all gears with no effort, no matter if the engine is running or not. Coincidence? Both devices defect? Or does it indicate a deeper issue?

Unfortunately the backup light switch is in such a poor position that I don't see a chance to directly analyze its behavior at the pins. And before I try to pull it (which seems awkward) I want to make sure I didn't oversee anything.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021   #2
jw63

Default Re: Backup light / 1-4 issue

This won?t necessarily answer your question but a few thoughts:

Does your car have it?s original/stock chip? Some aftermarket chips disable the 1-4 shift function.

There?s a very good chance your backup switch is just bad. It is possible to remove with the trans in but it?s a pain in the you know what. I was able to get mine out eventually but it probably took 2+ hours. Ended up chopping the connector off first to get a standard socket on it.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
'90 #413 Red/Red Sold
'90 #1583 Red/Red
jw63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021   #3
secondchance

My thoughts:

* Either aftermarket chip or 1-4 shift was disabled by pulling the plug to solenoid on the side of the transmission. Either way, it?s a good thing.

* most likely back up switch went bad. What gear do you leave the par parked? Recommend 1st gear instead of reverse.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021   #4
TX '90 ZR1

Actually changing the reverse light switch is not that bad with the proper tools.
First you need to get the clutch slave cylinder out of the way. Just get it out of the way. No need to disconnect the fluid line.
Now you can get to the switch. Use an offset 02 sensor socket and a thin swivel head 3/8" ratchet. The longer the ratchet the better.
Pic attached of tools and switches.
Hope this helps.
z031718-5.jpg
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021   #5
aod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
Actually changing the reverse light switch is not that bad with the proper tools.
First you need to get the clutch slave cylinder out of the way. Just get it out of the way. No need to disconnect the fluid line.
Now you can get to the switch. Use an offset 02 sensor socket and a thin swivel head 3/8" ratchet. The longer the ratchet the better.
Pic attached of tools and switches.
Hope this helps.
Attachment 14976

Thanks for posting this. Mine has just failed this year as well. So weird to have multiple failures happening at the same time. And I do not park it in reverse. I have a new switch from Ecklers ordered. I've never moved the slave cylinder before. Is it a PITA to push the plunger back in when you are bolting it back in? Any advice there? Also, once you move the slave cylinder do you have access to disconnect the connector going to the switch before you start removing the switch? Sorry for the dumb questions, I haven't gotten under the car yet to see what I'm getting into, but I understand it isn't a fun process.

Thanks!
aod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021   #6
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post
Thanks for posting this. Mine has just failed this year as well. So weird to have multiple failures happening at the same time. And I do not park it in reverse. I have a new switch from Ecklers ordered. I've never moved the slave cylinder before. Is it a PITA to push the plunger back in when you are bolting it back in? Any advice there? Also, once you move the slave cylinder do you have access to disconnect the connector going to the switch before you start removing the switch? Sorry for the dumb questions, I haven't gotten under the car yet to see what I'm getting into, but I understand it isn't a fun process.

Thanks!
As always, getting the car up on a lift makes life easier. It is doable without one if necessary.
I have not noticed the slave removal and re-installation to be any different than other hydraulic clutch systems. Just make sure you get it lined up when putting it back in. If your slave has not been changed, check it for signs of leakage. Might as well change it out if it looks suspicious. Unless you are NCRS anal, use a slave from a later year. The position of the bleeder is much more accessible on the later ones as opposed to the '90.
Getting the connector off the original switch can be a bit of a challenge depending on the dexterity of your fingers. The new switch will have a pigtail so will not be an issue to reconnect. Be sure and secure the wiring after installation.
Hope this helps.
I notice you have not joined the registry yet. Not required, but sign up and get a cool T-shirt plus a lot of other benefits!!!
1990 #442
Old 12-27-2021   #7
Johnny5

what socket is it that you ordered. I have to replace mine as I checked my fuses + bulbs. no luck. FYI heibeck tunes the car and rids that annoying skip shift
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021   #8
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
what socket is it that you ordered. I have to replace mine as I checked my fuses + bulbs. no luck. FYI heibeck tunes the car and rids that annoying skip shift
Johnny,
I used an offset 3/8" drive O2 sensor wrench with a long, flex head, 3/8" ratchet. Works great.
Here's a pic.

z031718-5.jpg
1990 #442
Old 04-02-2021   #9
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
My thoughts:

* most likely back up switch went bad. What gear do you leave the par parked? Recommend 1st gear instead of reverse.
Ho! Good ta know. Never thought of that. Neither of our Zs' backup lights work. (Yeah, I know... Raul Julia said it best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVDpOaTGsc

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021   #10
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Ho! Good ta know. Never thought of that. Neither of our Zs' backup lights work. (Yeah, I know... Raul Julia said it best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVDpOaTGsc
Ha Ha Paul--I loved Raul Julia. Especially in Presumed Innocent as Harrison Ford's lawyer Sandy Stern. He was superb. Too bad we lost him so young, age 54 in 1994.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote