ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-06-2004   #1
zrvet

Default FX3 shock actuator motor

Anybody have a source for actuator motors? Cheapest place I found was through a distributor for Bilstein. $270.00 plus $6.00 shipping to Florida. GM parts direct wants $406.64 with their "shipping and handling" fee. Plastic planetary gears in my left rear disintegrated-was going to switch to Z51 non-adjustable Bilsteins, but Bilstein engineer talked me into trying one of their new actuator motors at $270. Anybody else tossed out the whole system, or just forked over the money for the motors. My '90 has 36K miles on it. Hope this isn't the first of 4 to start failing all at once!
zrvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #2
nitram

The front right on my ZR also broke a few days ago, if you find a cheap place for the actuators please let me know.

BRGDS
Martin
nitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #3
zrvet

Sorry for the delay-Hurricane Charley blew through here and the power was off for 4 days. ASI Enterprises has front and rear actuators. Check out their web site at www.shox.com. My new actuator had an AC-Delco part number and Bilstein logo on it. Replaced it in about 15 minutes and works like new!
Old 08-23-2004   #4
Tim

Did you know right away that the shock actuator broke ? how ?
Is there suppose to be a signifigent change from tour to perf
Old 08-25-2004   #5
zrvet

First indication is the "Service Ride Control" message on the Driver Information Center. You can get the trouble codes by jumpering the "A" & "C" terminals on the ALDL, which causes the above light to flash the code. In my case, it indicated the left rear shock motor was not working. When I removed the actuator motor from the shock, I found the nylon gears on the actuator motor had disintegrated. There is a noticable difference in the ride modes, but if your "Service Ride Control " light is not illuminated, then your system should be working fine. The system does a self-test every time you turn on the ignition key. Unless you have an obvious mechanical problem with a shock, such as a persistent leak, you should be fine.