ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-30-2017   #1
billschroeder5842

Default Radiator suggestions please for my 91

I need to order radiator for my 91 and would like recommendations.

Now, I just drive the car- I dont race, the engine is not modified and I really dont get on it all that often (okay, I lied on that one).

I need something reasonable and solid.

I know there are many choices and I see prices run the gamut. While money is not a huge factor, I don't want to spend 600 when 300 will do. My primary decider will be fitment ease (lining up and using factory connections with no modifications) and overall durability for a spirited daily driver

Also, from my research, I note that the L98 and LT5 share the radiator but mine does not have the transmission coolant lines bung holes that I keep seeing in the photos? Plus is there a HUGE difference in the all aluminum vs the plastic and aluminum? My plastic/aluminum lasted for 26 years....

I'll order later today or tomorrow for Friday deliver and install (hopefully)

Thanks!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Radiator suggestions please for my 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Now, I just drive the car- I dont race, the engine is not modified
Quote:
I don't want to spend 600 when 300 will do. My primary decider will be fitment ease (lining up and using factory connections with no modifications)

Bill for these reasons just buy a factory GM or OEM Replacement. The last one lasted 26 years and provided adequate cooling for the car. You really only need to upsize the radiator if you plan on performance modding the car. Overtime the plastic ends tend to swell with age.. You wont get that with an all aluminum radiator.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 01-30-2017 at 07:51 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017   #3
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Bill for these reasons just buy a factory GM or OEM Replacement.
This makes sense and I'm leaning that way.

Should I get concerned that the replacements that I've seen have the automatic transmission bung hole? I realize they get covered by the shroud so its not an estetic thing but a fitment issue.

So, will "any" OEM spec L98/LT5 '91 radiator do the job?

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388

Old 01-30-2017   #4
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
This makes sense and I'm leaning that way.

Should I get concerned that the replacements that I've seen have the automatic transmission bung hole? I realize they get covered by the shroud so its not an estetic thing but a fitment issue.

So, will "any" OEM spec L98/LT5 '91 radiator do the job?
No as you stated those bung holes are for the auto transmission cooler for Automatic equipped cars. You will simply leave them "bunged" All the OEM replacements are so equipped. Only way around that is to find a OEM NOS Manual transmission radiator. Will either do the job in an unmodded LT5 or L98? Yes

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 01-30-2017   #5
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Will either do the job in an unmodded LT5 or L98? Yes
Roger that- thank you Sir!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388

Old 01-30-2017   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Roger that- thank you Sir!
Roger Out !

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 01-30-2017   #7
Jagdpanzer

One day left to get in on the Dewitt annual 15% off sale. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1593940565
Go with their 1129090m single row.
Around $300 with the discount
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017   #8
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
One day left to get in on the Dewitt annual 15% off sale. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1593940565
Go with their 1129090m single row.
Around $300 with the discount
I would go with what Phil is suggesting or a like Aluminum Radiator (I would also go with the Double Row)........The Zs do better with an Aluminum Radiator and the Double row.

I have Ron Davis (expensive but the best) and Fluidyne in all Zs. Also run with 180 deg Thermostats in all Zs except 195 deg Thermostat in L98s. I think I also have a Dewitt in one Z which was previously installed.

C4 Corvette Aluminum Radiators

Quote:
I need something reasonable and solid. While money is not a huge factor.
Thanks!
A good quality Aluminum Radiator in the Z is the last thing I would scrimp on. And since you have the radiator out as well as the Fans.....replace ALL Coolant Hoses with new screw Clamps (use the rounded edge screw Clamps for Silicon Hoses or all Coolant Hoses).

Install all Screw Clamps such that the screws/nuts are accessible after installation of the fans and Radiator. I use a bit of Permatex on ALL Radiator Hoses/Fittings

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-30-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017   #9
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
And since you have the radiator out as well as the Fans.....replace ALL Coolant Hoses with new screw Clamps (use the rounded edge screw Clamps for Silicon Hoses or all Coolant Hoses)[/B].

Install all Screw Clamps such that the screws/nuts are accessible after installation of the fans and Radiator. I use a bit of Permatex on ALL Radiator Hoses/Fittings
Thanks- Hoses from Jerry's on order and will be installed. The hoses are original and need to be changed. So, While everything is apart.....

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388