ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-07-2017   #11
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: Loud bang when switching between vent modes...

IF:
Nothing has been disturbed or come loose, and is being buffeted by airflow,
then; there are only really two movable features within the system.

1- the diverter valve and actuator- this does exactly as it sounds like it would, i.e. it diverts the airflow to the outlets invoked by the selection made through the control head, then said selection is passed to the programmer to execute the command, then on to the actuator and the valve, which then re-directs the air.

2- the blend door aka the air mix door- again does what it says, i.e. mixes the ambient air with heated or cooled air to deliver it and achieve the temperature requested at the control head. Temp selection is made at the control head, then communicated through the programmer, which instructs the blend door actuator to move the door to a position that will yield the best mix of air to obtain and maintain the selected temp.

You must determine which sequence is in process when you hear the noise.

I suspect the blend door actuator.

When the car is first started, the system cycles the blend door from fully closed to fully open, one time.
This process conveys info back to the programmer so that ot knows the travel possibilities of the door aiding in determining the soon to be requested commands.

It would seem to be either sticking, or unable to hold itself open, and slamming shut, which although it can operate, it does not have enough strength to hold the door fully open.

While I am sure there are electronic testing procedures in the FSM, it would be far more valuable for you to evaluate the operation of both variables of each system, and determine what is requested immediately before you hear the noise.

Hope I have helped.

Marty

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 01-07-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: grammer
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #12
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
My black 90 does that. Only has 2200 miles. I wouldn't worry about it.
I would tend to agree. The loud noise (while disconcerting) actually means the system is fully functional, confident and "positive" in its execution.

An aggressive, positive transmission shift will have a "bang" as well.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017   #13
henryr

ditto

scares the crap out of me every time
henryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017   #14
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
I've noticed this ever since I've had the car. A loud bang / thump / pop whenever I switch between vent modes. And doesn't matter if I'm using the A/C or heat. But for instance if the unit is set on the floor vents, and I hit the button for the dash vents, there is a VERY loud bang....Like something is hitting the underside of the dash. It only happens when I hit the button for the dash vents, or the dash/floor vent combo button. I haven't really dug into this yet, as I hardly use the A/C or heat, which both work fine. The unit works fine, all vents blow out hot or cold air.
Does the "bang" seem louder the higher the fan speed is selected?

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017   #15
GOLDCYLON

Its the blend door slapping
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017   #16
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Its the blend door slapping
This happens on a few GM vehicles.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017   #17
geezer

I was having the same HVAC 'bang' issue as Rush 91 initially described. HVAC system operated normally in all modes but when first activated experienced the load ,BANG,.
I removed the knee bolsters Drver side & Pass. side to check HVAC vacuum system.
On pass. side found the "orange" vacuum line to the recirculation outside air control pot
had been the victim of 'mickey or minnie'. Sealed the chewed area. 'Bang' issue resolved!!
geezer is offline   Reply With Quote