ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-17-2020   #11
viper107

Default Re: Cold starting ZR-1 question

my 95 at first start up cold takes about 10(seems long) seconds to fire, after that it fires right up fast,is that by design? my 93 fires up cold fast
viper107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #12
rush91

I've never had a problem with cold starts. My '91 can sit for 6 months ( which it did last year ) and fires right up. I do have a longer crank time in those cases, which never has exceeded more than 5 seconds.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #13
Stingray1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Some like to start their stored cars every week or so.
I’m a fan of only 1 cold/hard start at the end of storage.
Why subject the motor to several of them.
The WOT method at initial turnover makes this even better.
The jackstands? That’s debatable...
I agree on one start at end of cold storage. Starting it and shutting it off just puts wear and tear on the motor internals, especially if it doesn't get up to temp. Additionally, you're creating moisture that doesn't totally evaporate out of the exhaust because the pipes don't get up to operating temp.

Jackstands are tough on suspension. The suspension is designed to hold the load of the car. Having it sit on jackstands for a long time hurts the car more than just sitting on the tires.
Stingray1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #14
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1967 View Post
I agree on one start at end of cold storage. Starting it and shutting it off just puts wear and tear on the motor internals, especially if it doesn't get up to temp. Additionally, you're creating moisture that doesn't totally evaporate out of the exhaust because the pipes don't get up to operating temp.

Jackstands are tough on suspension. The suspension is designed to hold the load of the car. Having it sit on jackstands for a long time hurts the car more than just sitting on the tires.
I'm not sure anyone was advocating starting an engine and not bringing the car up to temp. If you don't, you are correct in that you are just introducing wear. There is some value in starting it and bringing it up to temp, but once every three months is sufficient.

As far as jack stands, the appropriate use would be to put the jack stands under the suspension so that the suspension still sees the weight of the car, but the tires are off the ground to avoid flat spots. I don't go to that trouble, but you could.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020   #15
lfalzarano

I start and drive mine every two weeks when the road is dry. Less than a month, it is recommended to disconnect the battery. I use Stabil in a full tank in the Winter months. She fires up immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry