ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-16-2020   #1
mmkkpro

Default Compression test

Hi guys, I am doing a compression test, what should I do about the plug wires? Should I put a plug on each wire or is there a way to kill the ignition system? I have read that I'm not suppose to start/run the engine without a plug or spark tester installed, could damage DIS.
Still have the miss, sounded good for a short time, but back doing the same thing again. Very frustrating. Thanks.
mmkkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020   #2
mmkkpro

Default Re: Compression test

I think I found it, suppose to disconnect the crankshaft timing sensor. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2020   #3
tf95ZR1

From our own Paul Workman, 2009:

"Be sure to put a battery charger on the battery to assure uniform cranking speed between tests. And, pull the "inj-1" fuse (open passenger door & find fuse near the center of the fuse panel). This will shut off the fuel and prevent it from flooding the engine, and or getting into that expensive oil!"

This is what I did. I have never heard of disconnecting the crankshaft timing sensor. I just let my spark plug wires hang (not close to any ground). Good Luck!
1995 ZR-1 #106 Blk/ Blk
Owned by me since 2000.
91K miles, but not on motor :-)
Mods the way I want it,
Not afraid to drive it!

Last edited by tf95ZR1; 06-16-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Wanted 2
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020   #4
mmkkpro

Thanks tf95ZR1, the FSM says to disconnect the crank sensor, I did the battery charger and held throttle plates wide open, didn't think about FP1 though. It's running again. Here are the numbers warm and dry, I didn't do the squirt of oil. I have new wires, coils 2nd set of new plugs, injectors, fuel filter, my fuel pressure is good, I'm missing something, I'm starting to think IH gaskets are bad, would cause a lean condition. I got compression, fuel, and fire, guess I will recheck everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200616_164636.jpg (145.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-16-2020   #5
Ccmano

What compression tester are you using? Your numbers are low. If your near sea level you should be ~210 psi. If your using a Harbor Freight tester throw it away. I went through 3 before I came to the conclusion they all read low. I bought one from NAPA, low and behold, I had good compression. Its only tool from HF I have ever found to be bad.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 06-16-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020   #6
mmkkpro

Not sure CC, I have had it for many moons. I am at sea level, Holden Beach about a mile off the water as the crow flies. I do need to update it, I put new plugs in after the compression test, drove her a couple miles, felt good. I'm going to take her out on hwy 17 after work tomorrow, see how it does. If I could listen to or drive one that's right it would give me an idea of what I'm looking for. I will stop and get a better tester also and test again. Wish I knew more about its service history, being that it sat for many years, I knew it would need a lot of finesse, I appreciate the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200616_190831.jpg (140.9 KB, 11 views)