ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-06-2008   #11
Aurora40

Default Re: DIY 450-500rwhp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1990
I think Bob is referring to 4.125 on the bore with 3.66 (stock) stroke.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Just crunching the numbers = 391ci.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #12
Locobob

Headers, exhaust, and a ported intake really make a big difference. It's not just peak power it's the way the above mods extend the powerband clear to redline and beyond. Might be enough performance to keep you smiling for quite a while Ron. I wouldn't bother with the cams unless you are going the stroker route, cost - benefit doesn't add up. My 368 has stock cams and at 480rwhp it certainly isn't hurting in the power department.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

I thought that LT5s are expensive to get into the bottom half and even the heads so wouldn't the TT from Raptor be a good option when it is all said and done? I'm doing the basics first with headers/gear/port, etc. and if not satisfied, I want to consider the TT. From what I have seen it might be cheaper to get the same HP/torque for the $. I guess I think I can do the TTs myself, but the other mods to bottom half I might not be able to DIY.
Old 03-08-2008   #14
cuisinartvette

Machine work/liners
Rods/pistons arent bad depending on brand.
Crank could cost.

Im my case I have gaskets, seals, do assembly and porting myself so the bang for buck factor is there. Not saying I will need them but I can get the cams reground and hardened pretty reasonable locally.

Unless I had to buy a crank vs turning this one down it could add up but Im guessing this could be done for 5k or close to it using stock croke or turning this crank down... With headers and injectors/tune maybe a little more.

Am I on track here or am I in never never land ?

TT makes the most sense to a point but out of my league completely $$ wise.

Last edited by cuisinartvette; 03-08-2008 at 03:34 PM.
cuisinartvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #15
blackjack

same here..i already have 4 inch piston kit to build a 368..all i need now is a sleeve kit,and some patience...problem is,nobody has ever worked in an lt5 in my area,and im afraid itll be a never ending project,plus i feel its a waste of time if i dont port the heads at the same time....decisions,decisoins.....
bj
91/1735
4:10 gears
proted plenum/ih
lucas injectors
fidanza
ssw headers soon
hurst
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #16
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Machine work/liners
Rods/pistons arent bad depending on brand.
Crank could cost.

Im my case I have gaskets, seals, do assembly and porting myself so the bang for buck factor is there. Not saying I will need them but I can get the cams reground and hardened pretty reasonable locally.

Unless I had to buy a crank vs turning this one down it could add up but Im guessing this could be done for 5k or close to it using stock croke or turning this crank down... With headers and injectors/tune maybe a little more.

Am I on track here or am I in never never land ?

TT makes the most sense to a point but out of my league completely $$ wise.
I'm probably the one in la la land and I don't even know what the TT will cost. I guess I thought the internal mods are big bucks and I think it is above my capabilities without the special tool and in my garage. Back in the day I would not hesitate to pull a SBC or BBC to rebuild, but I don't know that I can do it anymore and still afraid of going internal with the LT5 unless I have too. I can feasible think of shipping my motor anywhere with the cost from Hawaii, even to Jeff on the West Coast would be out of reach. My cousin works for FEDEX and can maybe get me one way freight at his cost, but I guess you folks are much more mechanically inclined to do the DIY builds and that is great.

I don't even know why a few years ago I bought some pistons, but I have to sell them one day since I don't know that I will ever use these stock bore units.