ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-09-2008   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Exhaust ports for those with headers

When I removed my stock exhaust manifolds I could not help notice how small the ports are compared to the gasket and the new SSW headers. I can see why headers are such a bang for the buck with the restriction of the bend, size of tubes and the design. I guess I should have posted pictures for those that don't have the headers. I put the stock gaskets up to the heads to see the difference, then the gasket to the headers and I'm thinking to port match the exhaust on the heads and not sure if it makes sense and if there will be much to gain. In theory it makes sense to let the flow come out, but without the heads off and valves out etc. for the proper head porting, I'm not sure. I might just do it anyway because I can't see what harm could be done to open it up a little just to match the headers. The headers opening match the gasket size in most cases and in a few areas just a little smaller.

What what are the thoughts and who else noticed this when installing their headers?

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-09-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2008   #2
cuisinartvette

Default Re: Exhast ports for those with headers

You dont want a perfect match on the exhaust imo. Leaving a slight step will save your exhaust gaskets and help prevent reversion (not that these are prone to it). I dont know how big of a step you have but be careful grinding on heads, you dont want to hit a water jacket somewhere.
Old 03-09-2008   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Exhaust ports for those with headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
You dont want a perfect match on the exhaust imo. Leaving a slight step will save your exhaust gaskets and help prevent reversion (not that these are prone to it). I dont know how big of a step you have but be careful grinding on heads, you dont want to hit a water jacket somewhere.
Thanks for your advice and tips. I appreciate your time to reply.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-09-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling