ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-08-2008   #11
Jeffvette

Default Re: wiring schematic

Chris sounds like all your amps are dead. I believe Dr Don rebuilds them for 75 each. After they are done, it sounds so much better. Get the head unit rebuilt and the amps done. You will be happy.
Old 05-08-2008   #12
ZR1Vette

I have had great experience with Doctor Dons>>

http://www.doctordons.com/repaircost.htm

Also could be the CDM unit... this is from Factory Car Stereo Repair Inc>>>

Stereo unit powers up, no or distorted audio, no FM, some/all speakers work intermittently, or the system is dead.
Repair rate for CDM box $125. However, the '93-96 CDM boxes encounter water damage. With time and age the weather stripping around the rear hatch shrinks and allows water to enter into the rear pockets. The majority of the '93-96 CDM boxes are repairable. However, if the CDM is not repairable, a new replacement is $285. You will be called an notified if your CDM is not repairable before exchanging.
90-96+/- Corvette BOSE Stereo CDM
(Tuner Pre-amplifier) Box
CDM boxes can be found under the dash board on the passenger side ('90-92) or in a rear pocket on the passenger side of the vehicle ('93-96). We have seen the units ('93-96) behind the seat submerged in water and have corrosion, also check connectors at the CDM box. When the head unit is turned on and off you should hear a click from the relay inside the CDM box. If you have snapping and popping from some of the speakers you will have to trouble shoot to the defective amplifiers separately.

[I][SIZE="2"]1990 RED on RED #566[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE="2"]WAZOO MEMBER[/I][/SIZE]
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #13
Chris H

thanks for the replys. Jeff you mentioned having directions to pull that cdm if im gonna send the head out to dr dons then ill send the cdm with it like they recomend. is there any way you could post those directions for me. thanks again for all the help over the past couple days.
chris
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #14
ZR1Vette

If the 91 stereo is configured in the same way the 90 system is then from very personal experience I can tell you removing/reinstalling the CDM is a royal PIA!!! I know they changed the location in later model years just do not recollect when the change occurred. I have instructions with pictures if you need...but hopefully you have small hands and a ton of patience.

[I][SIZE="2"]1990 RED on RED #566[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE="2"]WAZOO MEMBER[/I][/SIZE]
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #15
Chris H

thanks for the replys. I pulled the cdm and just like everyone said it was no fun. I just sent my system to dr. dons hope it comes back working well. thanks for all the help ill let you know how things go when i get it all back together. for anyone wanting to know how i did it
3 plugs on the pass side of cdm
2 plugs on driver side of cdm
wing nut on each side of cdm
detached wires from black plastic bracket under cdm
then did lots of wiggling

I noticed a plug labeled PED it had an A and a B side to it and I did not see where it came from and do not know what its for. anyone have any ideas for this.
Chris
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote