ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-20-2015   #111
XfireZ51

Default Re: Point/Counterpoint: DOHC v OHV

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
I just flipped a 1998 V8 SHO with 173,000k a couple months ago. Had a check engine light because the little gear motor that opened the secondary intake runners had a broken gear. Machined a new gear and sent it down the road. Both SHOs were cool cars.
Did you weld the cam sprockets to the cam?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #112
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Did you weld the cam sprockets to the cam?
Nope, previous owner beat me to it.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #113
edram454

I accept your opinion and that is great that you like European cars. I have driven a porsche 930 turbo and have owned 3 audi's since my ex wife liked them. I am not a stranger to euro or asian cars. As far as a sports car 2 seater I would only own a Corvette. I could buy any other car but I just feel at home in a corvette. There are euro cars like the Aston Martin, supercharged Jag, Mercedes SLR etc.. that are wonderful cars but I would not own one. I feel that the German cars are just way to overpriced so i couldnt drop that kind of coin for a german car without warranties. My last brake job on my Audi A4 was $2,300.00 to replace pads, rotors and calipers since you cant turn audi rotors etc... just too much money for a not so good car. I am glad there are people out there buying all kinds of cars so it keeps the hobby going. I like the Ultima GTR with a American V8 stuffed in it or maybe even a stroked LT5 inside. I did say I hate Ferrari's and maybe that is a bit harsh but in reality I wouldnt own one thats all. I dont like Porsche's not even a little bit. To me just a overpriced Karmen Ghia on roids. If I wanted a little car then I would invest in a ERA Cobra continuation car with a 700 hp supercharged Ford Coyote inside. Now thats fun and its DOHC!! Of course for everyday driving I enjoy American luxury cars. I have had many Lincolns. I sold my Lincoln Continental with a DOHC intech engine that ran great. Now have a low mileage Lincoln Town Car luxo barge. Gotta love it. I go from my Lincoln to my ZR1 so I got the best of both worlds. Thanks for you comment.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #114
XfireZ51

And Ed, thank you for your opinion as well.
Old 08-21-2015   #115
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
I accept your opinion and that is great that you like European cars. I have driven a porsche 930 turbo and have owned 3 audi's since my ex wife liked them. I am not a stranger to euro or asian cars. As far as a sports car 2 seater I would only own a Corvette. I could buy any other car but I just feel at home in a corvette. There are euro cars like the Aston Martin, supercharged Jag, Mercedes SLR etc.. that are wonderful cars but I would not own one. I feel that the German cars are just way to overpriced so i couldnt drop that kind of coin for a german car without warranties. My last brake job on my Audi A4 was $2,300.00 to replace pads, rotors and calipers since you cant turn audi rotors etc... just too much money for a not so good car. I am glad there are people out there buying all kinds of cars so it keeps the hobby going. I like the Ultima GTR with a American V8 stuffed in it or maybe even a stroked LT5 inside. I did say I hate Ferrari's and maybe that is a bit harsh but in reality I wouldnt own one thats all. I dont like Porsche's not even a little bit. To me just a overpriced Karmen Ghia on roids. If I wanted a little car then I would invest in a ERA Cobra continuation car with a 700 hp supercharged Ford Coyote inside. Now thats fun and its DOHC!! Of course for everyday driving I enjoy American luxury cars. I have had many Lincolns. I sold my Lincoln Continental with a DOHC intech engine that ran great. Now have a low mileage Lincoln Town Car luxo barge. Gotta love it. I go from my Lincoln to my ZR1 so I got the best of both worlds. Thanks for you comment.

ed ramos #3028

I have owned a few german cars, VW and a BMW. I sold them because like you mentioned.. they require a fair bit of $$ for maintenance. Im a DIY kind of guy so none of my cars has ever seen a dealer or shoppe (fingers crossed) for the last 15 or so years and hopefully never will. Turning rotors is a fraud in the auto industry in my opinion. it should never be done. $2300 sounds like a lot but if it were me and priced out accordingly I probably could have picked up a used brembo kit or retrofit from another vehicle for the car for that amount scavenging the forums for those cars. Of course I will admit that I do appreciate the level of refinement they provide, its just not in my income range to be able to just drop one off at a dealer and say service it. I have yet to drive anything american that compares to even my e46 M3 in terms of refinement. Even my passat wagon.. puts my ctsv to absolute shame in terms of design, engineering and refinement. But I chose to buy a ctsv because its a pickup truck drivetrain in a 4 door chassis and its cheap to maintain and modify/upgrade when repairs are needed and is a more diy friendly vehicle.

If I had a LOT of money.. I would buy a blue c6 ZR1, paint the roof and b- pillar blue, lower it on coilovers and add some HREs. I would pull the LS9 and sell it to someone looking to do a restomod, and I would plop a fully built no expense spared LT5 in there. i would also enlarge the window on the hood for obvious reasons
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015   #116
Tony Davila

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
If I had a LOT of money.. I would buy a blue c6 ZR1, paint the roof and b- pillar blue, lower it on coilovers and add some HREs. I would pull the LS9 and sell it to someone looking to do a restomod, and I would plop a fully built no expense spared LT5 in there. i would also enlarge the window on the hood for obvious reasons
-If you put a LS in a 90-95 ZR-1 or an LT5 into the latest ZR1 does that still make it a ZR-1/ZR1? So is it the engine that makes it what it is or is it the whole package?
-If you remove the factory motor is it still a ZR-1/ZR1? DOHC to Single cam or vise versa, I think I would see an LS9 into a C4 before I see a LT5 into a C6 ZR1.

Last edited by Tony Davila; 08-21-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Tony Davila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015   #117
Dime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davila View Post
-If you put a LS in a 90-95 ZR-1 or an LT5 into the latest ZR1 does that still make it a ZR-1/ZR1? So is it the engine that makes it what it is or is it the whole package?
-If you remove the factory motor is it still a ZR-1/ZR1? DOHC to Single cam or vise versa, I think I would see an LS9 into a C4 before I see a LT5 into a C6 ZR1.
Can't deny it's an original idea!
Old 08-21-2015   #118
XfireZ51

Keep the LS9 block. Replace heads w MMR DOHC heads for LS motors. Easier swap.
Old 08-21-2015   #119
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I have owned a few german cars, VW and a BMW. I sold them because like you mentioned.. they require a fair bit of $$ for maintenance. Im a DIY kind of guy so none of my cars has ever seen a dealer or shoppe (fingers crossed) for the last 15 or so years and hopefully never will. Turning rotors is a fraud in the auto industry in my opinion. it should never be done. $2300 sounds like a lot but if it were me and priced out accordingly I probably could have picked up a used brembo kit or retrofit from another vehicle for the car for that amount scavenging the forums for those cars. Of course I will admit that I do appreciate the level of refinement they provide, its just not in my income range to be able to just drop one off at a dealer and say service it. I have yet to drive anything american that compares to even my e46 M3 in terms of refinement. Even my passat wagon.. puts my ctsv to absolute shame in terms of design, engineering and refinement. But I chose to buy a ctsv because its a pickup truck drivetrain in a 4 door chassis and its cheap to maintain and modify/upgrade when repairs are needed and is a more diy friendly vehicle.

If you had a LOT of money, why not just go all the way and install a Mercury Racing QC4v?

That would be a pretty quick 'Vette.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015   #120
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Keep the LS9 block. Replace heads w MMR DOHC heads for LS motors. Easier swap.
That would be interesting... But, IIRC, the MM DOHC heads were a "work in progress"; that is to say that VVT and DI was not yet accommodated. Do you (or anyone) have some "fill-in" info in that regard?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote