ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-02-2013   #131
Schrade

Default Re: TOP END REFINISHING

di-electric grease in the INJ connector sockets

to hold the wayward gaskets in place!

ALMOST TIME TO SET THE CLOCK BACK, AND HACK FOR ANOTHER HOUR!

On second thought here.....................

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013   #132
Franke

I noticed you have the injectors set in place in the IH. Assuming you will set the fuel rail down on to them... just to let you know that when you place the fuel rails on top of the injectors it may be necessary to move the injectors upward into the rail a little bit to get the clips to seat correctly. I discovered this the hard way.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #133
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke View Post
I noticed you have the injectors set in place in the IH. Assuming you will set the fuel rail down on to them... just to let you know that when you place the fuel rails on top of the injectors it may be necessary to move the injectors upward into the rail a little bit to get the clips to seat correctly. I discovered this the hard way.
Yeah - I guess it's gonna' be shootin' blind. I'd rather have dropped the rail / INJ assembly down whole, like LT1. Sure don't wanna' launch any clips under the starter, at least not without the good luck that accompanied the feat, huh BF???

Didn't miss the SP wire loom clip... That was the purpose of dry-fit 'practice'.

No matter; I'll still miss something by the time it's time to pull the trigger. L98, I missed the Cold Start Injector seal; LT1, I missed the MAF connector; this mill; time will tell...

If I'm lucky [cough cough], only the hesitation will remain. And maybe not ........
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 11-03-2013   #134
Bearly Flying

Schrade; You got that right....

Got mine running tonite, just in time for a major snowfall..

Chickened out on going for a test drive.

But It sure runs nice!!!!!

Good Luck with yours.
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #135
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearly Flying View Post
Schrade; You got that right....

Got mine running tonite, just in time for a major snowfall..

Chickened out on going for a test drive.

But It sure runs nice!!!!!

Good Luck with yours.
Kiss of death; "Good luck".

Just kiddin there BF; sounds great! What all did you do there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke View Post
Schrade, I have a suggestion for ya. It may be better if you had a small insert inside that rubber pipe as it tends to get soft from the oil fumes and heat in back of the plenum. That way it won't collapse. I built a new pipe from soft copper and fittings and used it before I bought an original pipe from Jerrys. IMO that GM design was cheap and dirty.
I saw this post Franke as I was re-readin' the whole thread. WOW. What ignorance I showed early on there...

And I saw my clamp on the CC crossover tube, thinking it looks a little tight, then I saw your post. I don't know how I'd cut it and make a stint of any sort???

And Cliff; the PCV cap REALLY swelled in the Trans-X. It will get non-hardening RTV, on the valve sides of course, not IN the cap, so as not to block the valves...

Old 11-03-2013   #136
Bearly Flying

Schrade; Started out fixing the starter solenoid contacts, ($3.00 item)

But then, already got the Plenum and IH off, might as well get them ported..

The finish on the Plenum was showing its age, So Powder Coat looks good..

The injectors were still the stock injectors, so might as well while I'm there..

Started reading about the secondary throttle system... Hmmm good time as any....

Well I guess I have to reprogram to delete the secondaries, OK new chip with all the goodies..

Stainless bolts would look good on the new Powder Coat...

Thanks go to Lgaff and Jerry's Gaskets for their Great service and assistance.

Then Work got in the way, (I work away from home for about a month at a time)

So what started as a $3.00 repair in June, cost a bit more than expected and took a bit longer to accomplish.

But hearing it fire up tonite was worth it..
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #137
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearly Flying View Post
Schrade; Started out fixing the starter solenoid contacts, ($3.00 item)

But then, already got the Plenum and IH off, might as well get them ported..

The finish on the Plenum was showing its age, So Powder Coat looks good..

The injectors were still the stock injectors, so might as well while I'm there..

Started reading about the secondary throttle system... Hmmm good time as any....

Well I guess I have to reprogram to delete the secondaries, OK new chip with all the goodies..

Stainless bolts would look good on the new Powder Coat...

Thanks go to Lgaff and Jerry's Gaskets for their Great service and assistance.

Then Work got in the way, (I work away from home for about a month at a time)

So what started as a $3.00 repair in June, cost a bit more than expected and took a bit longer to accomplish.

But hearing it fire up tonite was worth it..
Yeah, but just wait till you whack that throttle...THEN just try to wipe that silly grin off your face!!

Do let us know how your thoughts on how it responds with the secondary delete "option". (Assuming the snow isn't hip deep to a tall giraffe!)

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 11-03-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #138
Schrade

Back in, after a visit [buddy] in the hospital. The doc's can't communicate to the patient the difference between a viral and a bacterial infection. Or, "You have him on broad spectrum anti-biotics? Or narrow spectrum anti-biotic? Have you ID'ed the bacterial strain yet? "

So finish with di-electric grease in the connector gaskets; sink the INJ-connector clips onto the connector

Oiled Q-tip in the rail ports, then check for Q-tip 'fuzz'

Drop of oil on the O's - watch cap action draw it inside the ring

Rock the rail, make sure the O's' sockets are aligned, and drive.

And they snapped home ...

Last edited by Schrade; 11-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2013   #139
Schrade

Rock the rails again for seating (they snapped down nice, but one O could have been binding); little grease on the threads, under the cap, rail hold-down bolts

Torque 'em down

Snap on the INJ connectors, the vacuum connector down in the 'hole', and stand back and assess...

( and one day before pulling the trigger, I might actually get those CC hose clamps on )

Old 11-03-2013   #140
Schrade

D side IH set

Wipe down head and IH mating surfaces, set the gasket, then the IH.

Match up the CC vent hose

One bolt dry, Phillips to align other end, raise and check

All the while, I'm KNOWIN' I forgot something [s] ...

primary O's d SIDE for one...

and then a punch list

Found the grease tube cap after :30 search - started to sweat, thinking I did a BF, and let it bail under the starter; P SIDE INJ CLIPS!!! ; primary O's on the D side; forgot to put them in first , and the 2 connectors - forward end D side IH. WHAT ARE THEY??? CTS ONE???

Grease and sink the bolts

spark plug loom retainer