ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-30-2013   #131
edram454

Default Re: What's the Mileage on your ZR-1(s)?

1990 blk/blk #3028.. had two previous owners. first owner drove it 28k miles and seemed to replace EVERYTHING! tons of dealer paperwork..even the windshield!! .. might have been a lemon...second owner.. modded the car for some track duty..ported the top end etc.. headers.. boxed the front end..roll bar...hd brakes..rebuilt shocks etc..et.c...drove it 17k miles in 15 years of ownership.... I bought it one month ago..Runs great..all gremlins gone!! Thanks previous owners!!.. plus new 10k paint job to boot..imron black..flawless.. and RC injectors.. 45k miles.. the car screams to 7200 rpm.. no leaks and no engine diagnostic lights ever come on.. ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #132
Franke

Considering the cost of these cars new I can understand the tons of dealer paperwork too. Mine was owned by a medical doctor (surgeon) and it look like he took the car in for everything and anything especially squeaks and wind noise.
You bought this car the right way in my opinion as it probably had all of the known issues cared for plus you received the mods too. Good for you. Now you get to enjoy the benefits.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #133
edram454

thanks. first owner owned a large landscaping business and bought it as a company car I was told. second owner is a dentist and did all the mods and cared for it. so far I have been lucky with it. I understand all vacuum issues have been resolved new hoses..etc.. injectors new etc.. all the problems I see that people have with these cars have already been dealt with so the car is ready to go. I do need to repair the radio. I never knew that these radios were such pieces of crap. he replaced all the bose speakers and when he put a cd in it, the radio broke. oh well I guess this will be on me. My car has a zimmer chip. Hib Halverson did a comparison on these chips a while ago and said the zimmer chip was one of the most aggressive ones. car runs very strong.
Old 12-30-2013   #134
Franke

You have a nice ride there. I wish I had the money for just some of the mods on your car. My radio CD player crapped out too. I sent it to Dr. Don in Texas and it came back better than new and the CD unit was replaced with a better unit. As Dr. Don said " the old CD unit was a heat sandwich which helped its demise". I took it apart before I sent it and believe all of those Bose CD units will fail based on heat and use. He cleaned the radio head and replaced the lamps etc. Works great now.
Old 12-31-2013   #135
edram454

did you take your stereo out yourself? and what about that cdm unit? I hear it is a pain to take out. I have a friend who a retired corvette mechanic at a chevy dealership who would do it but he is getting up in years and that cdm looks like a real pain to take out. I was contemplating going with a all new aftermarket system but since the previous owner already bought and installed new bose speakers I might as well rebuild what I already have. Its not like I even turn on the radio when I am driving any corvette since I like to hear the motor at all times. I think I have turned on my radio in my c5 3 times in 7 years. I still feel that I should fix it because I dont like knowing that something in the car does not work correctly regardless if I use it or not. How much did Dr. Don charge you for your radio rebuild? did that include the cdm unit?
Old 12-31-2013   #136
Franke

I pulled the head unit out from the dash as usually that is all that is not working. I didn't touch the CDM unit. I replaced the capacitors in the amps in the speakers and they work fine now. Electrolytic caps just dry out over time and lose the ability to " Capacitate" take a charge and hold it Dr. Don charged 200.00 for parts + 100.00 for labor+ 15.00 shipping. Total was 345.00. That was back in 2008. Probably a little higher now but he was able to replace that CD unit for a better design without making any changes to the looks of the radio. He can probably add a Ipod /aux jack too now. I'm like you in that if I know something is not working it will be fixed regardless of use.
Old 12-31-2013   #137
edram454

thats not too bad. I read somewhere that some of the other rebuilders also require that the cdm goes with the radio for rebuild. There is another rebuilder of radios that members use but he requires both units. If I can take out just the head unit it would be great. Maybe I will just do that and leave the cdm alone. I figure if the head unit comes back and does not work then I will remove the cdm and send it in. My head unit had a take stuck in it. when the take was inside the antenna went up but of course no sound. After playing with it a couple of days, the tape came out one day but now it says (tape in) and i get no sound the the antenna does not come up. It needs a total rebuild.

the previous owner said it was all working fine with his newly installed speakers until he slid the cd inside then it locked up. I have head a lot about Dr. Don so I will try him. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2013   #138
edram454

thats not too bad. I read somewhere that some of the other rebuilders also require that the cdm goes with the radio for rebuild. There is another rebuilder of radios that members use but he requires both units. If I can take out just the head unit it would be great. Maybe I will just do that and leave the cdm alone. I figure if the head unit comes back and does not work then I will remove the cdm and send it in. My head unit had a tape stuck in it. when the take was inside the antenna went up but of course no sound. After playing with it a couple of days, the tape came out one day but now it says (tape in) and i get no sound the the antenna does not come up. It needs a total rebuild.

the previous owner said it was all working fine with his newly installed speakers until he slid the cd inside then it locked up. I have head a lot about Dr. Don so I will try him. Thanks.