ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-15-2011   #11
secondchance

Default Re: ECM CODE 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Yoshifumi-san,

I have my household goods arriving tomorrow with all my tools. We can pull your plenum and do the work with no problems. I have everything from all the gaskets, etc. that are need with addtional spare parts. I'm not sure if you can drive to Yokohama, but depending on how soon you need to fix this I can make the 2 1/2 (according to google anyway?) hour trip to Nagoya. I go to Korea in a few weeks so I'll send you and email and we can talk about this over the weekend on Sunday. On Friday and Saturday I will be at the Navy base in Yokosuka to install all the emissions back on my Z.

Matane.

Craig
Hey, Craig,

Starting a JAZOO?
Which part of Korea are you going to? Yong-san? Pyong-taek?
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #12
gorgeousgeorge

Paul,
Thank you for your sharing the picture about the vacuum system. I understood why I should check drivers side only. I will follow your procedure and diagnose the symptom step by step.

Ted,
I hope the check valve is one and only thing that is bad in the system
gorgeousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Hey, Craig,

Starting a JAZOO?
Which part of Korea are you going to? Yong-san? Pyong-taek?
Hey Jun,

Just offering up some help if desired and that would be cool to have a JAZOO.

I will be in Seoul (Yong-san); staying and the famous Dragon Hill Lodge on the base. It should be a nice time, but only 4 days.....enough time to get into trouble?
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #14
gorgeousgeorge

Craig-san,

Thank you for your kind proposal concerning my Z. But the distance between Yokohama and Nagoya would be farther than your expectation. I would be very happy if I could get your advice and your deep knowledge on this issue. If I get into maze and have nothing to do, I will have my Z being on a carrier car and will rush to Yokohama needing for your help

Actually, I am interested in what related parts are to replace when I have to remove the plenum, such as gaskets, vacuum pipes etc.. but I will begin with check valve inspection.

Talk to you soon

Yoshifumi Honda
91 ZR-1
Nagoya, Japan
Old 06-15-2011   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
Craig-san,

Thank you for your kind proposal concerning my Z. But the distance between Yokohama and Nagoya would be farther than your expectation. I would be very happy if I could get your advice and your deep knowledge on this issue. If I get into maze and have nothing to do, I will have my Z being on a carrier car and will rush to Yokohama needing for your help

Actually, I am interested in what related parts are to replace when I have to remove the plenum, such as gaskets, vacuum pipes etc.. but I will begin with check valve inspection.

Talk to you soon

Yoshifumi Honda
91 ZR-1
Nagoya, Japan
Ohayo Yoshifumi-san,

I really don't mind and I know that it is probably closer to 4 hours and let's add in my getting lost. I want to explore Japan and woud stay in a hotel travel overnight, but understand and you might be okay on your own.

No one can explain this better than Rob from the Corvette Action Center:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...diagnosis.html

I will see what I have in stock as I did not bring all my parts with me, but it arrives today. I don't know how I will fit everything into this smaller Japanese home compared to my small Hawaiian home. I mean small by US standards.

I have a video from Marc Haibeck that will help you with the plenum pull and some great details. He explains very slowly so no problem for you and I can loan that to you too as well as any of the special tools too including vacuum tester. I had the same problem years ago and just replaced everything at the time for years of trouble free secondary port system.

We'll keep in touch by email or phone and I'll send you the details.

Take care and best wishes.

Craig

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 06-25-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2011   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
Paul,
Thank you for your sharing the picture about the vacuum system. I understood why I should check drivers side only. I will follow your procedure and diagnose the symptom step by step.

Ted,
I hope the check valve is one and only thing that is bad in the system
I'm not familiar with the laws in Japan, but eliminating the secondaries and running on all 16 injectors might be a good option. Many of us are running without the secondary throttle system and are liking it very much.

Lucky you ran into Craig over there close to you. He's recently just rebuilt his LT5 and it is all fresh in his memories!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #17
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I'm not familiar with the laws in Japan, but eliminating the secondaries and running on all 16 injectors might be a good option. Many of us are running without the secondary throttle system and are liking it very much.

Lucky you ran into Craig over there close to you. He's recently just rebuilt his LT5 and it is all fresh in his memories!

P.
Thanks for the thoughts Paul. Too bad my memory last only for a few months max........lol. I'm about to find out about emissions laws and testing myself soon enough.

Old 06-15-2011   #18
gorgeousgeorge

Hi.

I tested the electric vacuum pump this morning and the pump seems to be working correctly.

While the pump running constantly, I pulled apart the vacuum connection on the line between the pump and the plenum, and plugged the hose of the pump side with my finger. The pump stopped.

But,after reconnecting the hose, I pulled the driver side vacuum hose which comes from the plenum(between cyl. #3 and #4), and plugged the end of the hose. THE PUMP DOES NOT STOP.

There should be some leak or worn parts under the plenum and I think it?s time to remove it

Yoshifumi Honda
91Z
Nagoya, Japan
Old 06-16-2011   #19
Demps

You are correct. You may be able to see a bad connection with a flashlight. The plenum pull is not that complicated but you will need good gaskets to reassemble. Sounds like Craig is your quickest and best bet. He is VERY capable and you should use his help the first time.

Let me know if you need something

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #20
gorgeousgeorge

Craig-san,

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...diagnosis.html

Thank you for your sharing the interesting link above. I have been at my office from 8:00 a.m. and not worked yet this morning because I was too busy to read through the article

My friend mechanic has a handheld vacuum pump and we will try to inspect vacuum circuit for leaks or worn parts, including valve actuator, vacuum reservoir and vacuum solenoid.

I will let you know the detail here or by e-mail and would like to talk with you about which parts to replace.

Thank you.

Yoshifumi Honda
91Z
Nagoya, Japan