ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-26-2017   #11
TealZR1

Default Re: 91 ZR1 - Latest Issue

Thanks Dynomite, so it appears from what you are saying, I just need to pull the Plenum and start doing the work you recommend for the repair Possible to partially pull the plenum, prop up from the front without disconnecting all the hoses in the back to get to where I need to go? I did that several months ago to fix the famous vacuum leak in the front. Thanks for your help!
TealZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017   #12
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealZR1 View Post
Thanks Dynomite, so it appears from what you are saying, I just need to pull the Plenum and start doing the work you recommend for the repair Possible to partially pull the plenum, prop up from the front without disconnecting all the hoses in the back to get to where I need to go? I did that several months ago to fix the famous vacuum leak in the front. Thanks for your help!
It would be very difficult to do what I suggested without complete removal of the Plenum which you are almost there anyway. Pull the DIS plugs including the 14 pin Connector with 1/4 inch bolt on rear of plenum and MAP connectors (vacuum and electric). Disconnect the Two vacuum lines each side of plenum possibly including the Purge canister vacuum. And I disconnect the fuel lines (open the gas cap when you disconnect the fuel lines). There are a couple vacuum lines to front of plenum also depending on year. And a couple or three more electric connectors on front of DIS depending on year. And obviously the other external connectors (coolant, Vacuum, electric in front of Plenum and Throttle cables).

Some information for you.......

TOP END RESTORATIONS SUMMARY
Post 62 - 1990 (#2067) LT5 Top End Rebuild (C5 Z06./Wilwood Brakes, SW Headers, Aluminum Radiator)
Post 76 - 1991 (#1427) LT5 Rebuild (C5 Z06/Wilwood Brakes, SW Headers, Ron Davis Radiator)
Post 119 - 1990 (#3032) LT5 Top End Rebuild (Fluidyne Radiator)
Post 133 - 1990 (#0072) LT5 Top End Rebuild (Ron Davis Radiator)
Post 230 - 1995 (#0186) LT5 Specific Top End Rebuild (C5 Z06/Wilwood Brakes, Fluidyne Radiator)
Post 261 - 90’ (#8550) Corvette (L98) Modifications (SW Headers, Ron Davis Radiator)

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-26-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017   #13
TealZR1

Latest Latest Issue-

Just got back from the shop where the car is. Now it won't crank over (all lights are on and getting plenty of power) Can this in anyway be related to the plenum oil leak that is supposed to be draining down the Valley Drain. Perhaps some oil contaminating the starter? A coincidence the starter just went bad? When it rains...
Thanks
Old 04-26-2017   #14
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealZR1 View Post
Latest Latest Issue-

Just got back from the shop where the car is. Now it won't crank over (all lights are on and getting plenty of power) Can this in anyway be related to the plenum oil leak that is supposed to be draining down the Valley Drain. Perhaps some oil contaminating the starter? A coincidence the starter just went bad? When it rains...
Thanks
Could be but cannot imagine a couple inches of oil in bottom of valley. You can push start if you have to move the Z....second gear and pop the clutch with key on.

But yes....on the Plenum removal.......always recondition the starter Solenoid points and check starter bearings. Also recondition the Valley Drain and other items mentioned in post above.

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-26-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017   #15
TealZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Could be but cannot imagine a couple inches of oil in bottom of valley. You can push start if you have to move the Z....second gear and pop the clutch with key on.

But yes....on the Plenum removal.......always recondition the starter Solenoid points and check starter bearings. Also recondition the Valley Drain and other items mentioned in post above.
Thanks Dynomite - replacing starter and while plenum is off hoping to repair the oil leak replacing gaskets and tightning bolts as you suggest. Welcome to the ownership of a 26 year old ZR1! Similiar to my 89 Porsche 928 with repairs it seems
Old 04-27-2017   #16
jss06c6

Keep the faith and smile.. That LT-5 sounds incredible when it's winding up on the road! Small stuff for our '91's. Gotta love working on this piece of art.. I've really enjoyed tuning this engine. Like having two engines under one hood with 16 injectors and a "two stage" intake manifold. Not another one like it on the planet.. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress. Good it's not the oil pressure sending unit.. your repairs are, comparatively easier than that little dude..
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #17
msuhanek

My ZRI is now in the shop. The mechanic says there is a combination of oil and coolant in the valley drain. He will clean out the valley drain but where could the coolant come from? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
msuhanek is offline   Reply With Quote