ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-01-2009   #11
tomtom72

Default Re: Alternator or Battery???

I thought that the Optima's were "gel-cells"? How do you do a S-G test on a gel electrolyte?

My gold top A/Zone battery is just starting to yield the same symptoms as yours. Mine is 4.5 yrs old. I had to look up my receipt as I forgot how old it was exactly.

Your test of the alternator's output seems to be well within the specs. A load test would be best. I would suspect that if you can't recall exactly how old the battery is, that it is 5 or 5+ yrs old.....usually we remember spending big doe and getting short changed....that it is past it's prime. just my two cents.

This was told to me by an Interstate rep a looooong time ago, so fwiw. Usually the electrolyte only has so much life. The reaction due to the charge/discharge cycle creates salt which collects at the bottom of the case and eventually reaches the bottom of the plates and thus creates a short across two plates. The better the salt connection, the better the short. The longer the posted life of the battery, the bigger the space from the bottom of the case to the bottom of the plates. Taken together these two circumstances kill the battery's ability to hold a charge and have output. I don't know if this applies to a Gel-Cell type battery with spiral plates, but the chemical reactions that take place have to be analogous and the "plates" still have to be suspended for it to be a battery.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #12
-=Jeff=-

Yeah I figure a battery is a good start.. then if needed I will swap the Alt.

So what is the recommended Battery. I don't need to have a NCRS Correct battery
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #13
-=Jeff=-

Oh, I will probably run the car with the AC Compressor on and check the Voltage too..

that is when I noticed it yesterday with the gauge as I was running Defrost
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-01-2009   #14
tomtom72

That's how I check mine...kind of. I don't have a load tester either. I usually start the car and let it recover then I turn stuff on progressively and take a V reading after each accessory is on.

My gold top was expensive, almost $80.00(?) when new. It didn't fit without me doing some trimming to the part of the case that forms the holder for the built in strap. It stuck out too far and I couldn't get the gill panel to sit right. So, I give the A/Z battery a C+ in the value dept. To be fair it lives in an abusive environment. The car is only used about 5k miles a yr., and that is hard on a battery.

I just don't know what other brand I have confidence in to tell another person to buy. I may just do a price comparo of 5 yr batteries and try something in the middle of the price range of all the brand name ones???

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #15
gbrtng

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Yeah I figure a battery is a good start.. then if needed I will swap the Alt.

So what is the recommended Battery. I don't need to have a NCRS Correct battery
WalMart's are guaranteed for 3 years free replacement - made by Johnson Controls just like the current ACDelcos, but better warrantee.
Old 10-01-2009   #16
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
WalMart's are guaranteed for 3 years free replacement - made by Johnson Controls just like the current ACDelcos, but better warrantee.
I like WalMart's guarantee......and any WalMart will replace a battery.
Do you know which WalMart battery FITS without modifications?
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #17
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
that's what I did... as for your battery, get it checked, there is no other way to know. A battery can have good voltage and still be bad.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #18
batchman

How many miles on the car?

I don't know GMs charging setup but my experience has been as you run up miles, alternator brushes will wear and give less output at idle/low rpm. A car with an idiot light will show this first as a low glow at idle. The last several I've had to worry about were at 120-150k miles or so.

The other popular alt failure is in regulation, which is often integrated into the alt, which will be a sudden total failure.

Good luck,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #19
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchman View Post
How many miles on the car?

I don't know GMs charging setup but my experience has been as you run up miles, alternator brushes will wear and give less output at idle/low rpm. A car with an idiot light will show this first as a low glow at idle. The last several I've had to worry about were at 120-150k miles or so.

The other popular alt failure is in regulation, which is often integrated into the alt, which will be a sudden total failure.

Good luck,
- Jeff
63K miles
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-01-2009   #20
gbrtng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
that's what I did... as for your battery, get it checked, there is no other way to know. A battery can have good voltage and still be bad.
H
My local WalMart has a hand-held tester which is hooked to the battery terminals and in about two minutes a thermal paper printout gives the battery analysis. I'm guessing it does a load test at about 20 amps and watches the voltage drop over time. The test is done in the vehicle with the battery terminals connected. If the test says fail, replace battery you get a new one if the original Wally battery is newer than 3 years - no charge.

And the C4 uses a group 72 battery - just get one with enough cold cranking amps.