ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-01-2012   #251
mike100

Default Re: Update on my hi-miler Z project

If that is the worst of your issues, you'll be alright. I never really thought about the stainless steel factor...I let mine sit for about 3 weeks with no ill effect...But I got the lucas ones.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #252
WB9MCW

I wonder if you had them sitting in some gas in a tray for the 3 weeks if that would have made a difference??
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #253
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9MCW View Post
I wonder if you had them sitting in some gas in a tray for the 3 weeks if that would have made a difference??
Yaknow, I thought about doing that, but decided not to, mostly since I didn't want to bother with removing the injectors from the fuel rail.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #254
VetteMed

Update: Fired it up today, and the ticking and bogging is gone. I guess sitting with the fuel system connected, loosened up whichever injector(s) were sticking. Haven't driven the car yet, but so far everything looks and sounds good!
Old 03-02-2012   #255
mike100

Does the engine sound any different than the old one? Sometimes you can hear or feel the response is fresher on new engines.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #256
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Update: Fired it up today, and the ticking and bogging is gone. I guess sitting with the fuel system connected, loosened up whichever injector(s) were sticking. Haven't driven the car yet, but so far everything looks and sounds good!
CONGRATS Andrew !!
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #257
tomtom72

Andrew, way to be my man! Oh, and WOW is right from Cliff. That motor looks sweeeeet! You must look like this--->

You be Da Man!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #258
WB9MCW

Glad to see the bog is gone -- looking forward to your road testing and reports.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #259
VetteVet

Looks like a great job, Andrew.

Congrats on the fine work!!!

Jep
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #260
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Does the engine sound any different than the old one? Sometimes you can hear or feel the response is fresher on new engines.
The new engine is a bit quieter (even without the knock/rattle that had developed at the end), the most noticeable noise now is the injectors (ticking ever so slightly, what I'd consider to be normal.

I took the car out for a test drive this evening -- it ran great! I'm going very easy on the motor, for the first 500 miles or so, so no real comments on power, but it's very smooth.

The most noticeable improvement is actually in the clutch. I installed a NOS dual mass flywheel, and had my original master and slave cylinders rebuilt by Jim Jandik at Power Torque Systems. I bought a nearly-new take-off LT5 pressure plate and clutch disc from someone on the other forum. The clutch actuation is so much smoother and more confidence-inspiring; I guess I hadn't realized how "soft" the old clutch felt, probably as a result of a leaking slave and a marginal disc/pressure plate.

I dug through some old service records and found that the clutch and pressure plate had in fact been replaced once during the car's life, in 1999. The flywheel was replaced under warranty in 1993, apparently GM/ LuK revised the DM flywheel sometime late in 1991, so 1992+ cars received the updated version from the factory.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper! I'm actually looking forward to going to work tomorrow because I get to drive the Z!