ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > Forum News

Old 12-05-2016   #21
LGAFF

Default Re: ZR Registry- Broadening the Registry Universe

This should be the Corvette Halo car website, no different that Ferrari Chat has a Halo car section for the F40, F50, Enzo, etc

The LS9 ZR-1 was a low production supercar like the LT-5 ....it pulls the evolution of the ZR-1 into one website and my guess is some of these ZR-1 owners would start buying the LT-5 to compliment their Zs. I am all in.

2009 - 1,415
2010 - 1,577
2011 - 806
2012 - 404
2013 - 482

Imagine how much better we could be with more support...I think there are only 500 actual members
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359

Last edited by LGAFF; 12-05-2016 at 08:03 PM.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016   #22
ZR1North

Dom,

This is not a simple matter and the pros and cons need to be debated; however, if I were asked to vote yes or no for broadening the registry, I would vote YES, and if I had to provide a simple one-word answer for the vote, it would be "sustainability". I don't have the stats, but I suspect that like our cars, the membership is getting older, and like any organization worth saving (the Registry definitely is!), we need to be always thinking strategically about how to make it survive and prosper. I don't think it would be difficult to "protect" the ZR-1 interests within a broader organization, but that would be the key question I'd want to discuss within a "Yes" answer.

I have talked to people within the GS Registry about this sort of thing, and I have yet to hear someone complain that their interests are compromised by the broader Corvette base they have. The skunk guys do their own thing when they want, but they benefit financially, socially and intellectually from getting together with both the C6 GS and former GS owners as well as the broader Corvette crowd. Being insular seldom serves one's interest well in the long term; a strategic discussion about our future - at a time when we aren't in a crisis - is both timely and indicative of the forward-thinking organization I think we ought to be.

Thanks for asking. I commend the board for having the chops to put it out there rather than contain the discussion to the board table. This is one of the reasons I give this particular board an A+ for what it has done in the last few years. Like most progressive entities, there are lessons to be learned from actions taken, but this board is both action oriented and open-minded. Thank you for governing as you do!
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016   #23
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
How does the present Corvette section play into this?

Dom wants to include C7, C6, C5, C3, C2, C1 possibly? All included in separate section with the ZR-1 C4 section already fully established?

Kinda sounds like CF organization.
I say fine as long as new sections are well separated and -Solutions- would reside in ZR-1 section like stickies on CF.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Allow me to clarify that I have posted this thread on direction of the Board so please don't interpret this as something I am doing or promoting. The reasons why the Board felt compelled to investigate this initiative are given at the beginning of the thread. The existence of a C6 ZR, the "apparent" development of a rumored C7 ZR , the renewal of trademarks for both the LT-5 and ZR1 monikers by GM present an opportunity that the Board decided to investigate.
The Board has also done some preliminary work on what it would take to welcome other generations of ZR Corvettes. There are some ibvious technical areas that differentiate one generation from the other. On the other hand, there are qualities and motivations that bind the generations and we in fact have a number of C6 ZR1 owners who are members here. Structure of the website was just one of the considerations. The impact of this initiative on such things as economics, events, vendors, and membership is also being considered. I am attempting to provide some further background on this without the appearance of bias so forgive me if this is a bit vague.
But I would suggest you consider aspects beyond just the website.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016   #24
We Gone

Sounds like a $ issue. I'm sure at some point the limited number of ZR-1 guys have a limitation on how much they can contribute to our site.

By adding a new group of ZR1 guys it can only enhance the current site and maybe help shed some light to the newer ZR1 group as to were they came from.

Most Corvette guys know more about the ZR1 than ZR-1.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016   #25
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post

What we have through the ZR-1 Net Registry is unique. I see no benefit to expanding it to include any other generations of "ZR" optioned Corvettes.
I agree. I just think it would dilute the product. It opens the door that can't be closed. Ten years from now we'll be relegated to a small group in the C4 subsection just like CF. What's special about this club is that it is unique to one car. We all share the same issues with very little variance between models.

Instead of spending this effort on expanding our universe we should be trying to conquer the universe we're already in. We should be doing everything we can to reach out to all C4 ZR-1 owners that are not members and showing them what they are missing instead of trying to expand and add members that have absolutely nothing in common with us except for a badge on their fender. There's nothing stopping us from doing joint events with a C6 ZR1 club. But let's not have one club.

This isn't a car club. It's a ZR-1 club. My vote would be no.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover

Last edited by Fully Vetted; 12-07-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016   #26
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I agree. I just think it would dilute the product. It opens the door that can't be closed. Ten years from now we'll be relegated to a small group in the C4 subsection just like CF. What's special about this club is that it is unique to one car. We all share the same issues with very little variance between models.

Instead of spending this effort on expanding our universe we should be trying to conquer the universe we're already in. We should be doing everything we can to reach out to all C4 ZR-1 owners that are not members and showing them what they are missing instead of trying to expand and add members that have absolutely nothing in common with us except for a badge on their fender. There's nothing stopping us from doing joint events with a C6 ZR1 club. But let's not have one club.

This isn't a car club. It's a ZR-1 club. My vote would be no.

[emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016   #27
WARP TEN

While I am not currently a ZR-1 or ZR1 owner I still think it is a good idea provided, as Jerry notes, that the forums have clear sub forums to focus on each generation's issues and the main website is similarly divided to provide info for all generations. Something like the way the Corvette Forum handles all different Corvette models. A big benefit would be to the annual gathering which would be provided with a substantial economic boost. Our gatherings have been dwindling for many years, which has required the addition of GS C4s (which I am all for) to maintain an economic critical mass for such events. I think having new members would add a lot for everyone. Other generation ZR owners are just as passionate about their special Corvettes as we are and are probably good guys to boot. We might even end up recruiting some over to the C4 ZR-1 side. My only major concern is, will I still be allowed to hang around with my lowly mass-produced Z06??? --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016   #28
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Our gatherings have been dwindling for many years, which has required the addition of GS C4s (which I am all for) to maintain an economic critical mass for such events.
I still think that's due to lack of promotion. I'm sorry but posting an event schedule 30 days prior to an event is not a promotion. A great example is what we are doing here in Texas. Four years ago when I bought my car there were exactly 0 events going on in Texas in terms of C4 ZR-1 events. There was Vette's on the Lex (no longer running) and then the big Texas Corvette Association event which is still a big event but again nothing ZR-1 specific. We now meet at minimum 3 times a year. And it's grown from 3 cars the first year to this weekend we could have as many as 12-15 cars. And 4-5 of those are new members. Just 2 months ago we met for a BBQ and we had over 20 cars. From 0 events to multiple events hosting 20+ cars in 3 years. All due to promoting the event. If it can be done on a state level it can be done on a national level.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016   #29
-=Jeff=-

I thinjk it would be good to get some more people here adding to the diversity of the different ZR generations.. keeping it dedicated to ZRs (of all corvette generations) will be a challenge but can also improve some of the club events we do as well
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016   #30
XfireZ51

Bob,

Yes even though you "downgraded" to a lovely Long Beach Red C7 Z06,